Albert

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Albert

Post by Mellor »

Noticed he was born 13/3/1940 (from twitter).

He was a magnificent player. His goal scoring record from the wing (1 : 3) was astonishing. My first lufc hero.

@LUSCgriffinLUFC: Sir Alf Ramsey said of the #johannesburg born 'Black Flash', "There was no comparable footballer of his type in Europe. Maybe George Best."

Sad the way he died but he will always be a star to those of us who were around at the time.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Albert

Post by 1964white »

Mellor wrote:Noticed he was born 13/3/1940 (from twitter).

He was a magnificent player. His goal scoring record from the wing (1 : 3) was astonishing. My first lufc hero.

@LUSCgriffinLUFC: Sir Alf Ramsey said of the #johannesburg born 'Black Flash', "There was no comparable footballer of his type in Europe. Maybe George Best."

Sad the way he died but he will always be a star to those of us who were around at the time.
Very sad indeed

Albert was one of my favourite players when I started following Leeds as a kid, so much so I even coloured his face in my LUFC subbuteo team :)
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

He was a great player indeed, I was only young when he was playing and he left Leeds when I was ten years old, but I remember him vaguely, I can't recall if I saw him play, I'm sure I did, from the age of 9 I went with my cousins to almost every home match to watch the best team in England, Super Leeds and they had so many stars and internationals, it was amazing. My dear old dad told me he was a truly brilliant player.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A mate of mine Paul Harrison, was a member on here wrote the last book that was published on Albert. I saw him play many times and also witnessed the abuse he took, a great player way ahead of his time. Tragic end to his life what with alcoholism and living rough.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

He wasn't living rough, Phil, but he was living in a run down council flat.

Tragic tale, a very good book is that but not a pleasant read.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

onenorthernsoul wrote:He wasn't living rough, Phil, but he was living in a run down council flat.

Tragic tale, a very good book is that but not a pleasant read.

Cheers Rob, you know when I typed it I wondered if I'd got it wrong. It was indeed a tragic tale and a tragic end to a brilliant footballer.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I remember when he first started at Leeds, the general view was that he wouldn't make it. Too lightweight, he will be targeted, clogged etc., How wrong can so many people be!!! He was not only brilliant but also extremely popular with all the fans. I remember him scoring both goals in the 2 - 0 beating of Chelsea at ER. The Chelsea defenders didn't get near him.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

No problem NW, you weren't completely wrong after all.

The church he often visited in 60s Leeds was St Mary's in Beeston. I ended up being a choirboy there, years later :D
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:No problem NW, you weren't completely wrong after all.

The church he often visited in 60s Leeds was St Mary's in Beeston. I ended up being a choirboy there, years later :D
I was christened there
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk