THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Malcolm Stark » 26 Jul 2013, 19:03

onenorthernsoul wrote: to say we lost the League that season because of those results is dubious to say the least.


An interesting theory... to suggest throwing away a seven point lead contributed to losing the league being a "Dubious" argument?

But I'll go with it.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 00:37

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Davycc » 26 Jul 2013, 19:14

Malcolm Stark wrote:I mailed Gary Edwards, after reading No Glossing Over It, and he mailed me back, on three occasions. First, he said that Ray Tinkler had never even responded to his attempts at communication. Secondly, he said that his books were from the perspective of a born and bred Leeds United fan, so that was a recognized literary style. And thirdly, he wished me the very best, which I greatly appreciated.

On reflection, I say these three things...

1. Ray Tinkler, in spite of my support of him in regards to the Laws of the Game, was a c*nt.

2. Leeds should have won that 1970-71 title.

3. Leeds would then have easily won the league title, the following season.

On point 2, I don't really give a toss, as long as the Cup Final went the same way. That Charlie George goal celebration was just the best ever, at that time, and I can still only think of Balotelli's "WHY ALWAYS ME?" celebration as up there with it. On English soil.

On point 3, while Man City should have won the title, but collapsed under the heavy arrival of Rodney Marsh, and Liverpool shouldn't have won it, but very nearly did. Leeds United should have won it, and they SHOULD have won it. Derby won it, in the end, despite never been regarded as the best team. Derby's defence, which fept 25 clean sheets, missed only about a dozen games, though, overall, and they were the fairest team in England that season.

Over the seven seasons 1967-73, Man Utd, Man City, Leeds, Everton, Arsenal, Derby and Liverpool all won the league. It was a feat that has never been repeated. If you ask anyone, though, who was the best team of them all, over those years, it would be Leeds United. They were the best.

I'm 49 now, but if I die at 99, the one team that affected me more than any other in my life was THAT Leeds team.

I absolutely loved Newcastle's "Entertainers", from 92-95, they were the finest United team I ever saw, and ever will see. But if I was asked how they'd do against the 68-74 Leeds team, I'd be worried.

Actually, deep in my heart, I'd know that Bremner and Giles would have Lee Clark and Paul Bracewell's numbers, would control the game, and romp to a 2-0 win.

There's no need to be bitter anymore, but I'll have a pint of bitter, if you're offering....


I was undecided about your posts Malcolm, I felt a little uneasy, not sure if you were genuine or taking the proverbial, this post has proved me wrong .
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 12205
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Deleted User 130 » 26 Jul 2013, 19:16

'An interesting theory... to suggest throwing away a seven point lead contributed to losing the league being a "Dubious" argument?

But I'll go with it.'


Those games were on neutral grounds at the start of the following season weren't they? Sorry if I've missed your point but you do make - or TRY to make - bloomin loads of them, it's easy to get confused :D SOMEONE seemed to intimate that we lost the next season's title because we had to play a number of games away from Elland Road, I was referring to THAT point.
Deleted User 130
 

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Malcolm Stark » 26 Jul 2013, 19:19

No,OneNorthern, you failed to beat Blackpool, Huddersfield and Newcastle in the month prior to that Albion match.

I feel there were far more points to Leeds not winning the 71 title than just Jeff Astle's goal, that's all.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 00:37

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Deleted User 130 » 26 Jul 2013, 19:21

Here's what I originally said, it doesn't seem very vague to me...

'Leeds didn't lose any of those games they were forced to play on neutral grounds, therefore to say we lost the League that season because of those results is dubious to say the least. Never ever ever EVER has a home stadium or crowd scored a goal or dictated a match result :D'
Deleted User 130
 

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Malcolm Stark » 26 Jul 2013, 19:23

Let me just stress that Newcastle were not a great side at the end of the 70-71 side. Pop Robson had fallen out with Joe Harvey, and was sold to West Ham, replaced by the hard working, but light scoring John Tudor, and Wyn Davies was also on his way out, to be sold to City for £60,000 in the Summer. We weren't the team that had brilliantly won the Fairs Cup two years earlier.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 00:37

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Deleted User 130 » 26 Jul 2013, 19:23

Malcolm Stark wrote:No,OneNorthern, you failed to beat Blackpool, Huddersfield and Newcastle in the month prior to that Albion match.

I feel there were far more points to Leeds not winning the 71 title than just Jeff Astle's goal, that's all.


Do me a favour and just focus on what I actually said about the banned from ER games. you seem to be deliberately ignoring the fact that Astle's goal cost Leeds a point and a point is all we would have needed to win the league. The thread title is about THAT goal, that match, not the other 41 league games.

See ya.
Deleted User 130
 

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Malcolm Stark » 26 Jul 2013, 19:24

onenorthernsoul wrote:Here's what I originally said, it doesn't seem very vague to me...

'Leeds didn't lose any of those games they were forced to play on neutral grounds, therefore to say we lost the League that season because of those results is dubious to say the least. Never ever ever EVER has a home stadium or crowd scored a goal or dictated a match result :D'


I never used the word, "vague".
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 00:37

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Malcolm Stark » 26 Jul 2013, 19:26

onenorthernsoul wrote:
Malcolm Stark wrote:No,OneNorthern, you failed to beat Blackpool, Huddersfield and Newcastle in the month prior to that Albion match.

I feel there were far more points to Leeds not winning the 71 title than just Jeff Astle's goal, that's all.


Do me a favour and just focus on what I actually said about the banned from ER games. you seem to be deliberately ignoring the fact that Astle's goal cost Leeds a point and a point is all we would have needed to win the league. The thread title is about THAT goal, that match, not the other 41 league games.

See ya.


But you were banned from Elland Road for four games during the following season?
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 00:37

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Postby Malcolm Stark » 18 Oct 2013, 13:45

Davycc wrote:
Malcolm Stark wrote:I mailed Gary Edwards, after reading No Glossing Over It, and he mailed me back, on three occasions. First, he said that Ray Tinkler had never even responded to his attempts at communication. Secondly, he said that his books were from the perspective of a born and bred Leeds United fan, so that was a recognized literary style. And thirdly, he wished me the very best, which I greatly appreciated.

On reflection, I say these three things...

1. Ray Tinkler, in spite of my support of him in regards to the Laws of the Game, was a c*nt.

2. Leeds should have won that 1970-71 title.

3. Leeds would then have easily won the league title, the following season.

On point 2, I don't really give a toss, as long as the Cup Final went the same way. That Charlie George goal celebration was just the best ever, at that time, and I can still only think of Balotelli's "WHY ALWAYS ME?" celebration as up there with it. On English soil.

On point 3, while Man City should have won the title, but collapsed under the heavy arrival of Rodney Marsh, and Liverpool shouldn't have won it, but very nearly did. Leeds United should have won it, and they SHOULD have won it. Derby won it, in the end, despite never been regarded as the best team. Derby's defence, which fept 25 clean sheets, missed only about a dozen games, though, overall, and they were the fairest team in England that season.

Over the seven seasons 1967-73, Man Utd, Man City, Leeds, Everton, Arsenal, Derby and Liverpool all won the league. It was a feat that has never been repeated. If you ask anyone, though, who was the best team of them all, over those years, it would be Leeds United. They were the best.

I'm 49 now, but if I die at 99, the one team that affected me more than any other in my life was THAT Leeds team.

I absolutely loved Newcastle's "Entertainers", from 92-95, they were the finest United team I ever saw, and ever will see. But if I was asked how they'd do against the 68-74 Leeds team, I'd be worried.

Actually, deep in my heart, I'd know that Bremner and Giles would have Lee Clark and Paul Bracewell's numbers, would control the game, and romp to a 2-0 win.

There's no need to be bitter anymore, but I'll have a pint of bitter, if you're offering....


I was undecided about your posts Malcolm, I felt a little uneasy, not sure if you were genuine or taking the proverbial, this post has proved me wrong .


This post meant a lot to me, Davy. I hope you end up okay in your job, and you're able to stick around here. Wishing you all the very best. Malcy.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 00:37

PreviousNext

Return to LUFC TALK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests