Nicola Cortese

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: Nicola Cortese

Post by Independent Republic »

SiMamu wrote:
Independent Republic wrote:
NikosAGr1985 wrote:I have been saying all year long that the way Southampton are run, they are the ones we should try to take examples from. Excellent policy, young players, good managers, clever transfers. Excellent work done there.

...and they have played proper footsie going back to their years in the doldrums. My a Dad's a Saints fan.

Forgive my ignorance but who's Cortese?
Ex-Southampton chairman, who resigned in January.

But does he have money. Aren't a German crew the moneybags at Southampton?
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Wilfred Martin »

Interestingly, Cortese took similar abuse/comment from Southampton supporters for firing Adkins, as Cellino did for firing BMcD. The only difference being that the board at Southampton didn't reverse that decision.

Cortese's background is that of an Italian banker who became interested in Sports funding.
Italian....banker....sports funding? Deja vu?
We're on our way to....
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Southampton will tumble down the league at some point, not this year or even next but they'll tumble. It's the way of things. Then their fans will turn, everyone will forget they envied them, encouraged lufc to learn from them etc.

One thing about Saints though ( nice club by the way although there's been some right shenanigans there in recent times behind the boardroom door) that we should learn from - just cos fans can't think of an alternative manager it doesn't mean there isn't one. Cortese was single minded, I doubt he paid much if any attention to fans groups, did his homework and acted. Leadership! How we could do with a bit of that just now.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I like The Hold Steady Mellor - particularly the song 'Magazines and Daddy Issues'. Great voice.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Costy wrote:I like The Hold Steady Mellor - particularly the song 'Magazines and Daddy Issues'. Great voice.
He tells a cracking tale Craig Finn. Nice to know there's at least one other fan on the site Costy. Superb live as well. Proper front man Finn. Holds the audience.
attacco decente
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Sotonian wrote:
Nabil Hassan ‏@NabilHassan79
Football League block Massimo Cellino's takeover. So what next for Leeds United? Heard rumours consortium led by Nicola Cortese were keen.
Good luck to the Football League if it's not Nicola Cortese, the ex Southampton chairman, he's referring to :D

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/02/17 ... re-tussle/
fourmi
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by fourmi »

Mellor wrote:Southampton will tumble down the league at some point, not this year or even next but they'll tumble. It's the way of things. Then their fans will turn, everyone will forget they envied them, encouraged lufc to learn from them etc.
Might be happening sooner rather than later....

Southampton: New board says financial situation 'difficult'
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

fourmi wrote:
Mellor wrote:Southampton will tumble down the league at some point, not this year or even next but they'll tumble. It's the way of things. Then their fans will turn, everyone will forget they envied them, encouraged lufc to learn from them etc.

Interesting!

Great quote from Ryan Giggs 'We don't see ourselves as under dogs, we see ourselves as Manchester United'. BM needs to apply that to his management of LUFC. We know how to do academies/home grown talent. We don't need to replicate anyone (least of all Burnley). Trouble is we also know how to over stretch ourselves, how to mismanage, how to stupid person up. We should learn from our own mistakes and build on our strengths.
attacco decente
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Mellor wrote:
fourmi wrote:

Interesting!

Great quote from Ryan Giggs 'We don't see ourselves as under dogs, we see ourselves as Manchester United'. BM needs to apply that to his management of LUFC. We know how to do academies/home grown talent. We don't need to replicate anyone (least of all Burnley). Trouble is we also know how to over stretch ourselves, how to mismanage, how to stupid person up. We should learn from our own mistakes and build on our strengths.
We need to be replacing the winning formulas of Leeds United, not flipping Burnley or Reading. Burnley and Reading should be replicating us! McDermott needs to realise, if he is to get us promoted, that his Reading team was a replication of his Leeds team before he made it. A draft. A test for faults, because we won't be coming back down a year later.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."