Poll on Cellino

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Do you want Cellino involved in our club?

Poll ended at 06 Apr 2014, 21:11

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 42

Spiderman
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: Poll on Cellino

Post by Spiderman »

Ricardo Da Lepp wrote:I said "no".
I don't want someone with a fraud history (wriggled out of on a technicality I understand from an Italian patient of mine) or with tax evasion offences pending, any where near this club. We've had enough irresponsible and reckless administration with Ridsdale's era, and lack of transparency with Bates.
I don't want someone who tried to turf the manager out of the dugout before he'd even bought the club, and certainly not someone who told said manager he was sacked when he had no authority to do so.

I want somebody with real substantiated financial backing, who understands football, who understands business and who is responsible, to run the club. Vaguely normal might be nice too. Not someone who has made serious waves around the place and destabilised it before actually having legitimate, sanctioned control and ownership.
When you book your car in for it's mot do you check out the history of the garage owner?
When you go to a Restaurant do you ask if the Chef is fit & proper?
If you bought your good lady a ring from a jewellers would you ask the owner where he gets his gold from?

These examples may appear a bit random but I use them as I know of the above three businesses where they came with the highest reputation yet all three were a front for something more sinister.
Pecky10
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Pecky10 »

Spiderman, I'd check the reputation of the garage and the workmanship; try the restaurant based on others recommendations and use a jeweler (not that I have a good lady ;) )that is likely to use diamonds rather than Argos and its cubic zirconia (sp).

So far I've learned he changes head mechanics every few months so god only knows who might be working on my car, his food leaves a sour taste in the mouth and his sources of cubic zirconia, seem a little 'murky' - the only diamond I've seen is a rough one :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

When you book your car in for it's mot do you check out the history of the garage owner?
If you bought your good lady a ring from a jewellers would you ask the owner where he gets his gold from?

These examples may appear a bit random but I use them as I know of the above three businesses where they came with the highest reputation yet all three were a front for something more sinister.
I get your point Spiderman, and your right, but I usually (unlike Pecky ;) ) have no idea who's cooking my food at a restaurant. I did once however have reason to be in contact with a gemtleman who turned out to be an intravenous drug abuser who was a Hepatitis B carrier. He also was a chef at a Chinese restaurant which I ate at often. Before I knew him I ate quite happily there, after, I didn't really fancy it.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Restaurant, garage, supermarket, clothing store, whatever, none of it is a valid comparison because no one relates to their favourite club the same way they do with any kind of service provider. Do you wear a restaurant's branded clothing when you go on holiday, do you feel intrinsically connected with a garage because that's where your parents and grand parents used to take their cars, does the fate of your jeweller's affect your mood on any given day? No, they're one-off experience sellers, if you don't like something about that business you take your custom somewhere else because 99% of their service will be replicated somewhere else, at a higher or lower cost.

You don't have any of those options with your football club, because it's yours and you won't get a second one, because it will never make sense to you to do so. That's why it's not unnatural to have expectations about how a club goes about trying to attain success, because most fans will feel it represents them. It just isn't like any other business.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Isn't Cellino's business Corn. He has one charge (I think) against him relating to Corn, later withdrawn I believe (some Euro mumbo jumbo about a grain silo and grants). So you can buy grain from Cellino safe in the knowledge that it's right and proper so no need to fear for your jewellery, lasagne or big end.

Football appears to be his passion and his football related crimes, such as they are, appear to be against 'the authorities'.

The yacht issue is also a crime cos the Italian court says it is. Friend Cellino continues to argue that the authorities are wrong. He may yet be cleared of the 'offence'. The crime appears to be related to how he spends money he's already paid tax on (from Corn milling presumably). There are other issues looming though, I believe, which ain't great.

I'm not defending him (well I am indirectly I guess) but I am keen to keep things in perspective. The guy appears to have his own set of values and when they conflict with those of 'the authorities' he chooses his own values and fights. I make no attempt to justify this. He's clearly in the wrong on many occasions and what he does I wouldn't do BUT I wouldn't do what Maria Miller did either and she continues to look after my cultural affairs and represent the good burghers of Basingstoke with the full support of the PM no less. Is one any worse than the other? I suggest not. The fun (what attracts me) will be sailing with Cellino not accompanying Mrs Miller to Glyndbourne is all I'm saying.

Now it's away to the game! Waiting for the perfect owner to appear sounds great but will one ever appear? They never have in my lifetime.
Last edited by Mellor on 05 Apr 2014, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Mellor wrote:Is one any worse than the other? I suggest not.
Another too basic a comparison IMO, ultimately if we're asking is X worse than Y, rather than is X good or bad, then neither should be running a football club. The "everyone around us is dodgy" argument doesn't wash with me. And Cellino's personal traits outside petty cash-saving exercises have been well documented. People want different things from their club, and are willing to compromise to different levels to see them delivered, don't think there's a right or wrong answer, but compromises chip away at the substance of an institution.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Reading and talking to people it seems that the verdict was postponed because the FL feared there would be crowd trouble today if what I consider the expected verdict of no to Cellino was announced. It also seems that there is a Malaysian bid on the table if/when the Cellino bid fails.
Winner of the Europa League
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

My point is 'hypocrisy'. They both did wrong but one is clean the other a criminal. I make no attempt to 'score' the crimes.

Our fans abuse every chair we appoint. We're lucky to find one with the passion to take us on. I'll settle for that while others send our head hunters out looking for the perfect chair who carries 100% fan support.

You can't trust anyone in football and football (from stand to boardroom) is drowning in hypocrisy.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

No one will have 100% support, and that's not the measure of quality. I'm pretty sure common sense will tell us when we've hit upon something resembling normality, it clearly exists and is attainable at other clubs, and in my view Cellino doesn't even come close to it. The word "passion" has been devalued completely in being plastered all over this self-centered individual.
Ricardo Da Lepp
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Ricardo Da Lepp »

Spiderman wrote:
Ricardo Da Lepp wrote:I said "no".
I don't want someone with a fraud history (wriggled out of on a technicality I understand from an Italian patient of mine) or with tax evasion offences pending, any where near this club. We've had enough irresponsible and reckless administration with Ridsdale's era, and lack of transparency with Bates.
I don't want someone who tried to turf the manager out of the dugout before he'd even bought the club, and certainly not someone who told said manager he was sacked when he had no authority to do so.

I want somebody with real substantiated financial backing, who understands football, who understands business and who is responsible, to run the club. Vaguely normal might be nice too. Not someone who has made serious waves around the place and destabilised it before actually having legitimate, sanctioned control and ownership.

I wouldn't take my car to a garage without some kind of recommendation or prior knowledge, hence I always use the one in our village. I know the business, the owner and their track record.
If I'm going to try a new restaurant then I doubt I would book there without some kind of recommendation. I would want to know about their food hygiene rating and general business running. There are one or two in this region whose owners I have had dealings with, who are so "out-of-touch" with real life and their responsibilities, that I would never recommend them, less still actually go and eat there.
I rarely buy jewellery, but when I have, it has again been with a local business that is established, proven and has a reputation.

In each case there is potential for harm from a dubious business, be it safety or financial, and I manage that risk accordingly by being reasonably circumspect. None of these examples deal in the sorts of sums of money that would pass through a football club like Leeds United though. Where money of that level of magnitude are involved, I would expect a high level of scrutiny and appropriate regulation. Given the level of scrutiny we now face merely in our dental practice from the CQC, (right down to the number of sinks in each room and having your mops colour coded) (no seriously it's true), I don't think it is unreasonable that a multi-million pound business is run responsibly and by individuals in whom we should be able to have confidence to act professionally and abide by the law.