Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Feed the birds

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Whilst at Wilkinsons yesterday buying bird food we also bought a new bird feeding station for £9:99. We've been sat in the kitchen most of the morning looking at said feeding station & as yet no visitors have visited this new ' pop up restaurant ' in town.

A friend told me, he's lives close by that putting out sunflower seeds he has started attracting a variety of different species including a bullfinch, yes I'm jealous.

So share your secrets here on how you attract birds to your table, Rigger that's the feathered variety ;) & if you live in a rural or urban environment.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Feed the birds

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Haha !
I was just about to reply to this with "Tuppence a bag ?" when I saw my name in lights ;)

I've been thinking about it for a while, this, but as I live in a flat by the coast I think all I'd get on my balcony would be those chuffing great gulls :o

They're the size of a small dog down here and I really don't want them flappin' about all over the place ..

As for the other kind .. I'm having a self-imposed fallow period at the moment.
The last couple were a right pain in the .. er .. neck so I'm not that keen to get back on the bike, as it were ..
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

As some of you may know birds of the feathered kinds are pretty close to my heart. Unfortunately I am restricted in what wild birds actually visits my garden (council estate) because of Starlings and Crows as they tend to bully other birds away.

I do get a few Blue Tits and the obligatory Sparrows but my favourite as I've mentioned before is a Robin who is starting to tame up nicely. Always find crumbs of cheese are Robins favourite.

Remember that some birds will visit if foods available on the ground rather than a table. I had a feeder once in a previous garden that got very little visits until I moved it a few feet to one side, turned out that the neighbours dog would run up past a small gap in the hedge between our gardens near were the feeder was. I moved it to the side but no further away and bingo it was always filled with different birds.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Bingo just had a pair of Collared Doves, never had them in the garden before feeding on the sunflower seeds. So I'm looking out at them & all I can hear is the cooing :? bloody hell im thinking they're making some noise to turn around & it's not the birds it's my wife Sue :lol:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Mrs B is crackers on this subject, spending fortunes every month.

A quick tally tells me we have something in the region of 18 bird feeders, spread throughout the garden.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:Mrs B is crackers on this subject, spending fortunes every month.

A quick tally tells me we have something in the region of 18 bird feeders, spread throughout the garden.

"18" and there is me thinking my significant other is costing us a fortune feeding them.

Seriously great to watch them, usually sunflower hearts, fat balls & worms are what she feeds them.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

We took our bird feeder down as a couple of years ago we spotted a rat trying to climb the pole. Got rid of it but haven't put the feeder back up. We still seem to get the birds though. Two male blackbirds every year. One nests in our pyracanthus and the other in next door's laurel bush. We also get Robins, Wrens, Thrushes, various Finches, green Woodpecker, Jay's, Red Kites, the occasional Sparrow Hawk, Woodpigeons and my pet hate - magpies.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Were putting up a nest box tomorrow as well. So if anyone knows any blue tits looking for a new house with 2 decent ' food joints ' within fluttering distance let me know. It'll be free but on a first come first served basis.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

We've got 3 or 4 bird boxes, one of which has a camera linked up so we can watch what's going on inside the box on our tele.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Mrs B is crackers on this subject, spending fortunes every month.

"18" and there is me thinking my significant other is costing us a fortune feeding them.

Seriously great to watch them, usually sunflower hearts, fat balls & worms are what she feeds them.
Yes, she is a bit mad on them. However, as she always says, you have your Football and I have my birds, can't really argue with that.

We haven't had mice/rats (that I know of anyway), but we do get a couple of cats coming in every now and again taking the odd bird.