Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: The Rugby League thread

Post by Wigan White »

Good luck to the Wigan Warriors today in the World Club Challenge. :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Wigan White wrote:Good luck to the Wigan Warriors today in the World Club Challenge. :thumbup:
You can have an extra pie after that result Al :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Wigan White wrote:Good luck to the Wigan Warriors today in the World Club Challenge. :thumbup:
Only one? :o
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Only one? :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Castleford 66 Leeds 10 :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:Castleford 66 Leeds 10 :shock:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I went over for the Cas v Leigh game, and Cas were very impressive, admittedly against limited opposition. Last night was against a team who had many missing, but the game that pleased me more was Warrington away.

Long way to go, but 3 from 3 is obviously a good start and the points difference is even more impressive.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Sorry this is off thread, but does anyone know if the Kiosk is still there in Castleford? It used to be a ballroom, don't know what it would be now. Bingo hall probably.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I lived in Castleford for 30 odd years Sir John, and went in there on a handful of occasions, it was more my Dads era than mine.

Unfortunately, it's shut now like pretty much half of Cas.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

BB in the late 1950's my Dad played there with his sextet. Prior to that he was Musical Director for Tower Ballrooms in Leeds. My older brother played in the band too. It was called 'The Michael Charles Orchestra' after my Dad - Charles and my brother - Michael. Maybe your Dad remembers?

The first love of my life was a girl who worked in the same office when I was 16. She lived in Allerton Bywater. I went out with her a couple of times but was always too shy to ask her to be my girlfriend! Then National Service scuppered it for good. :shock:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I didn't know anything about Rugby of either code when I moved to Leeds in 1951. I struck up friendship with a lad who was mad keen on Rugby League and supported Leeds. I lived only 5 minutes walk from Headingley Cricket/Rugby grounds and went to a few Leeds Rugby games. They were the days of Lewis Jones, Arthur Clues etc. I remember Hunslet who had a young star named Gabbitas and the other team in Leeds was Bramley, who always seemed to be the underdog. Looking at the results in the paper today, I see that Hunslet are now down in Division 1, 2 leagues below Leeds. Bramley didn't appear in the results so I don't know where they are now. Good to see three divisions now, including several teams in the south and midlands. Back in the day, there was only one division.