Deleted User 3289

Re: More Questions for May - Have a go

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I would have had Dorigo but I thought he was a Aussie? :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I would have had Dorigo but I thought he was a Aussie? :D
Played for England, as if you didn't know that :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

1. Don't see enough games to make a realistic suggestion.

2. Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Peter Gunby. Played against: Jim Milburn, Ray Iggleden, Len Browning, Don Revie, Eddie Gray, Paul Reaney, David Harvey, Jimmy Greenhoff, Terry Cooper, Barrie Wright, Rod Johnson, Paul Madeley.

3. All.

4. 90,000 England at old Wembley.

5. Sit in the sun in the garden with a glass of chilled white, watching the wild life and thinking about writing my memoirs

6. I don't play golf now but am still a social member at Sonning Golf Club and Maidenhead Golf Club. Both do excellent food and I tend to go there if I'm eating out. My other favourite is the Bell & Dragon in Cookham but I haven't been there for a while.

7. We have always had lots of parties if you count the Loony Party and all the 'single issue' parties, this year is no different. What is different is the deterioration of support for the Labour and Liberal parties. Not good, don't like any party getting a landslide win.

8. You have got what you've got, you have to make the best of it.

9. This Sporting Life.

10. Nigel Martyn
Paul Reaney
Terry Cooper
Paul Madeley
Jack Charlton
Norman Hunter
McKenzie
Currie
Jones
Greenhoff
O'Grady
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
2. Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter, Peter Gunby. Played against: Jim Milburn, Ray Iggleden, Len Browning, Don Revie, Eddie Gray, Paul Reaney, David Harvey, Jimmy Greenhoff, Terry Cooper, Barrie Wright, Rod Johnson, Paul Madeley.
Knew Len Browning well (sadly passed away a few years back), he was a very good table tennis player and represented Harrogate Wanderers for many years, competing against much younger opponents.
Couple of weekends back was at a Veterans tournament and chatting to one of Lens old team mates and his name came up a good few times.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

zigzag wrote:
4. What is the biggest sporting attendance you have been part of ?

1972 FA Cup Final Wembley, whatever the official attendance was add 1 to it as 3 of us got in on 2 tickets (I was lifted over the turnstile by my dad)

Will now add one to my highest attendance :thumbup:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:
Knew Len Browning well (sadly passed away a few years back), he was a very good table tennis player and represented Harrogate Wanderers for many years, competing against much younger opponents.
Couple of weekends back was at a Veterans tournament and chatting to one of Lens old team mates and his name came up a good few times.
SW, I played Table Tennis with Len too. At the Victoria Club, early 1950's. His wife Molly played too. Len was playing for Sheffield United then. I remember him coming to Table Tennis one evening with two enormous black eyes. A goalie had punched him instead of the ball.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:
SW, I played Table Tennis with Len too. At the Victoria Club, early 1950's. His wife Molly played too. Len was playing for Sheffield United then. I remember him coming to Table Tennis one evening with two enormous black eyes. A goalie had punched him instead of the ball.
Not sure if the Victoria club is still going as not up to date with Leeds league but it was 10 to 15 years back as we played them a few times in Yorkshire Clubs championship, they had a very good team back then.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

In the days I played they were the top club. England internationals Brian Kennedy and Kath Best played there and the England coach was a coach at the club. I played from age 16 up to disappearing off to the Army for National Service. Played a bit after demob but nothing serious as I didn't play at all during National Service and lost a bit of enthusiasm.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:In the days I played they were the top club. England internationals Brian Kennedy and Kath Best played there and the England coach was a coach at the club. I played from age 16 up to disappearing off to the Army for National Service. Played a bit after demob but nothing serious as I didn't play at all during National Service and lost a bit of enthusiasm.
John, Not sure if you remember who the England coach was but wondered if it was Peter Simpson. He was national team coach in the 70's when i first played and i know he had done it for years.
He dropped down late 70's to become North region coach and i got to know him well, in fact worked with him a few times in the 80's as did a bit of coaching myself back then.
If i remember he lived in the Otley area.