Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Wikileeds
Terry Venables's car dealer

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by Wikileeds »

Since the demise of Victor Meldrew I found Elland Road helped me over the grief and meant I wouldn't miss him too much.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Wikileeds wrote:Since the demise of Victor Meldrew I found Elland Road helped me over the grief and meant I wouldn't miss him too much.
Sometimes I wonder how one little tadpole beat all those others to the egg.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Deleted User 4758

Post by Deleted User 4758 »

I am a Nottingham lad, born and bre(a)d (Basford/Bestwood) and have no affiliation to Yorkshire in any way. My family are all Forest/County fans and my dad was a County fan. I remember him telling me Johnny Giles was the best player in the world so it could be because of that comment that I'm a Leeds fan. Anway, as a lad of 7 in 1972, Leeds became my team and have been ever since. First match I went to was away to Notts County on Jan 6th 1976 in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. We won 1-0 with a Clarke headed goal. First match I went to unchaperoned was Leeds vs Nottingham Forest on January 5th 1980 (aged 14) with my next door neighbour and best pal John Whyler. We got the train from Nottingham and walked to the ground from Leeds staion. We lost 4-1 (lol). Next was a (Derek Parlane debut) 2-0 win vs Southampton on March 8th the same year. My wife and I were members of Nottingham Whites until around 4 years ago when we stopped going due to me starting my own business. I don't have time for football matches anymore tbh but always watch what's happening...
wizzy1984
Giddy Kipper

Post by wizzy1984 »

My Dad is a leeds fan so that was good enough for me, although id now consider myself a much bigger leeds fan than him! A lot of older generation in my town are leeds fans but the 92 title meant a few more leeds fans sprung up. I love the identity of being a leeds fan gives me, no-one ever forgets who you support, they keep an eye out for leeds results because they love to hate us, and no other club has a salute like us when we see a fellow leeds fan. travel ove 3/4 times a year when I can afford it and proudly wear my colours everywhere I go!!
fb220
Giddy Kipper

Post by fb220 »

Same as above. Old man is a Leeds fan so I was drawn to them (despite us both being from Essex and his brother supporting West Ham)!
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

My grandfather was a Leeds fan. I used to spend weekends with him and Saturday afternoons there would be EPL and European highlights on SBS from the week before that we would watch. I've now got a couple of his old pins attached to my scarf as well as an old tie that I'll often wear on occasions.
SuperJimmy
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by SuperJimmy »

Dad's a Leeds fan, however living abroad as a kid I was wrestling between Man Utd and us (I know I know, my excuse is that outside of the UK it's impossible to avoid their influence, a huge proportion of Cypriot fans happened to support MU).

Dad eventually sat me down and told me I had to make my decision, I fell in love with the Leeds Squad of the 2001/2 season, especially Harry Kewell and Alan Smith, and that was it. Leeds ever since.

Just for the sheer nostalgia of it, this is my favourite Harry Kewell goal, as it was the best I had seen on TV and the moment of Football that had the largest impression on me as a kid. It was also part of the 3-2 win against Arsenal, who immediately following this game didn't lose for another 49 games... As we all remember.

EDIT: Seem to have messed up or not understood how to properly post a Youtube Link, tried looking around the forum but couldn't see anything. Sorry!

EDIT #2: Found the post RE youtube instructions.
IrelandLeeds
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by IrelandLeeds »

I have been a Leeds supporter since the 1960's. At that time every second person was supporting Man Utd, and still do, but I put my allegiance on the team in white from Yorkshire. That was the era of John Giles, Billy Bremner RIP, Peter Lorimer, Eddie Gray, Allan Clarke, and so many stars in that era.The late Don Revie was a great manager, but looking back on that period, I feel that Leeds should have won a lot more than they did, some league titles were lost by the smallest of margins, often in the last few weeks of the season.

Despite all the ups and downs of the past half century, I am still a fan. There are a lot of Leeds United supporters all over Ireland, one of the biggest supported clubs along with Manchester United, Liverpool, and Cetic.

Still hoping for promotion to the premier league.
KandolsBigToe
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by KandolsBigToe »

Parents, unfortuanately...