Catalan Uprising

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Catalan Uprising

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Well that's it then. Spain and Europe have got a lot of problems on their hands now that Catalonia has officially declared independence. There can be know going back! Brave decision but I hope in the future it turns out to be the correct one. The will of the people is ultimately imo what counts, and if you don't give them a fair chance then this is the result.

I can't believe Donald Tusk says nothing changes in Europe with the declaration. And he thought Brexit was a problem. This as got potential to be far more damaging in Europe than Brexit. Another example of populism rebelling against a plan for a federal Europe.

You can just hear the echoes of discontent coming from Brussels (but what about our pensions? sound familiar).

Send in the troops... We will show them the rule of law.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Now we know why Junker want's an EU army. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Junker the Walloons are coming. Russia has got a lot to answer for... :D
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

now there's talk of political asylum for five of the independence leaders in Belguim. The very thought that it's classed as asylum shows you how bad it's getting; thirty years jail sentences being brandied about by those in Madrid against those who are truly peaceful. Gutted...
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Deleted User 3289

Straight talking as always from Nigel Farage.

daib0

Post by daib0 »

If ... the UK supports Catalonian independence via an illegal referendum, we're effectively giving the green light to the Scots walking away post-Brexit. It's been said many times that Scotland can't choose to leave the UK and stay in the EU as Spain would oppose their membership (because of Catalonia wanting the same outcome). We therefore have to reciprocate in supporting the Spanish government (however deplorable their actions on the ground have been) - it also politically reduces the effectiveness of Spanish demands over Gibraltar if we're seen to be supporting them during this period.

The outcome of the planned elections could however bring about a change - if a pro-independence candidate wins, the Spanish government will almost be forced to hold a formal (legal) referendum or else give some major concessions to Catalonia regarding further devolved powers. This whole mess is far from over....
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Deleted User 3289

No government is going to support a illegal referendum. The problem was the way the Madrid responded with the violence and aggression.

I'm not sure more devolved powers is the answer daibo? A legal referendum is the only outcome for me. Like Farage said above there seems to be a large percentage of people wanting to remain part of Spain. I think I read somewhere possibly 55% to 45% in a poll in favour of remain so why not allow it?.

I feel for Carles Puigdemont. I hope his supporters stay loyal to him. Empowering the people of Catalonia with a illegal chance to vote is hardly the crime of the century is it.

He should be able to get plenty of advice now he his hiding out in Brussels. :D
daib0

Post by daib0 »

It's actually 57% of Spanish people who'd favour holding a referendum, but in Catalonia itself I think it tops 70% ...
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:No government is going to support a illegal referendum. The problem was the way the Madrid responded with the violence and aggression.

I'm not sure more devolved powers is the answer daibo? A legal referendum is the only outcome for me. Like Farage said above there seems to be a large percentage of people wanting to remain part of Spain. I think I read somewhere possibly 55% to 45% in a poll in favour of remain so why not allow it?.

I feel for Carles Puigdemont. I hope his supporters stay loyal to him. Empowering the people of Catalonia with a illegal chance to vote is hardly the crime of the century is it.

He should be able to get plenty of advice now he his hiding out in Brussels. :D
There have been several instances of the EU ordering a re-run of a LEGAL vote so that they get the 'right' result. So yes, the EU do see it as the crime of the century.
I once played against Don Revie.
daib0

Post by daib0 »

Latest from the BBC:

Catalan independence: Spain high court summons dismissed leader

Spain's high court has summoned sacked Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont and 13 other members of his dismissed government to appear later this week. It also gave them three days to pay a deposit of €6.2m ($7.2m) to cover potential liabilities. The summons comes after Spain's chief prosecutor on Monday said he would press charges including rebellion.

Full report: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41825030

This has only just started !!!