Favourite/ least favourite away ground

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Favourite/ least favourite away ground

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Which ground do you enjoy going to the most ? For me it's Loftus Road have always enjoyed my visits there. Back in the 1970's believe it or not it had one of the best atmospheres going. Least favourite Kenilworth Road it really is an absolute dump.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Favourite/ least favourite away ground

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Yeah, Loftus Road is a proper old ground and reminds me of The Dell, too.

West Ham's atmosphere is the most toxic I've witnessed, though Millwall pushed them close.
The old Highbury really was quiet and the new Southampton ground is pretty flat too - so many families and no dedicated "yobbo" section, like our South Stand.

The best noise I've ever heard anywhere in the world is at St.James' Park, Newcastle. I think it's more to do with the roof design than their actual supporters - it seems to keep the noise in rather than letting it escape.
Portsmouth's Fratton Park is falling apart but the atmosphere is spectacular whenever I see them.
AC Milan was pretty amazing too and that wasn't even at capacity when I went there to see Celtic in a CL game.
Hamburg's very good - mostly (95%) home fans too, like a lot of European grounds.

Everton's normally lively too.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Craven Cottage, good craic from the home crowd. Goodison Park (biased :D )

Reading - devoid of atmosphere.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Always enjoyed the London trips although could be a bit dodgy at a few of them.
Also had some good visits to Everton including one memorable 18th birthday bash.

The Dell was aweful for seeing once the put the fences up, may as well used a brick wall in front of away fans.
Hate all seater stadiums big step backwards for atmosphere in my eyes.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
KandolsBigToe
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by KandolsBigToe »

London Road is pretty grim
sawadee3
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by sawadee3 »

The old Den, Cold Blow Lane, New Cross. Circu 1980's
Going in with the home fans so's i could watch all ashen-faced but secretly purrrrrrrrrring with pleasure every time the ball hit the back of their net.
I'm sure even "Harry-The-Dog" (R.I.P) may well have approved albeit in a begrudging kind of way. Afterall, it was Harry himself who according to the Panorama documetary of the time decided to hitch-hike alone on to Bristol Rovers game after the supporters coach that he and the rest of the "Bushwackers" were travelling on broke down on the M4 some place. A few hours later "The Dog" duly carried out his lone assault on the home end before being carried out himself.

Harry-The-Dog quotes:
"If some northern ponce had a go at me i'd put a ****ing glass in his 'ed, which is all very reasonable."
"A bit of football and a punchup that's what football is all abaaaaat."

IN NO WAY am i condoning football hooliganism with this post guys.
Acomb1

Post by Acomb1 »

Footy grounds are no where near as good since all seater stadiums. What are people's fav. grounds now ( Ie. All seater stadiums) and best atmospheres. Always enjoyed the city ground but that might be my bias towards the night out after in their city.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Acomb1 wrote:Footy grounds are no where near as good since all seater stadiums. What are people's fav. grounds now ( Ie. All seater stadiums) and best atmospheres. Always enjoyed the city ground but that might be my bias towards the night out after in their city.
Welcome to the forum Acomb, assume that's the York Acomb and if so know the area a little bit (former gf lived there, former as long time ago). :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Acomb1

Post by Acomb1 »

It is bud, cheers for the welcome.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Charlton's The Valley. Never been, haven't disliked it until today BUT the feckers just did me out of £305 AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders