Grumpy old man

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Grumpy old man

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Well that's Haloween out of the way, constant door knocking & kids I've never seen before "begging" on my doorstep. Next up 7-10 days of Bonfire Night when my local area resembles Beirut with all the fireworks going off. No consideration as on a couple of occasions last year it was well past 11 when folks decided to get their display going. I'm not a pet person but a good friend has 3 rescued dogs & they're on medication to get them through this period. Whatever happened to just the one night, even I could tolerate that, just.

Grumpy old man of Nottingham :evil:
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Grumpy old man

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Not a single knock at my place ... mind you, I did have all the lights out ;)

I dislike fireworks, end of.
I think they should be licensed and only sold to organised displays and not to individuals.
It would save lives and stop people disabling themselves and others so it's a no brainer for me .. either that or hike the tax through the roof so nobody can afford them.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Didn't get any 'trick and treater's' this year. NW is lucky if Bonfire Night only lasts 7-10 days. We get it for most of November.
Not only Bonfire Night. A few years ago we were just sitting down to tea at 6.00 pm on Christmas Day when someone started letting fireworks off. It went on for an hour. Fireworks should be licensed (not cheap either) with a finishing time of 10 pm.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I'm glad it's not just me. It really is becoming a real anti social problem with little or no thought for others. As has been said there should be just organised displays & only on the 5th of November but that wouldn't suit the pyrotechnic companies who are only too happy to rake in the cash. As John said there should be a cut off point & after that the police should move in & arrest the display owners for anti social behaviour. It just needs to happen a few times to get the message home but sadly it won't happen.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Can't complain up here in Blackpool. We have the World championship firework competition every year and it goes down a storm. After that it makes the domestic fireworks look like sparklers.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I also agree regarding Haloween trying to rack my brain when it first reared its ugly head in this country ? More Americanised rubbish that we have adopted. What next to curry favour with our American cousins shall we celebrate the 4th of July ?
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

Ten to 4 this morning the so and sos were still letting off fireworks round our way! My wee cat was terrified all night. Bastards.

Makes you hanker back to the good old days of the troubles when fireworks were banned here.

Oh, and bonfires? You've no idea about bonfires until you're near one in Belfast.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Yep my mutt is petrified of fireworks, I dread Halloween (even if it is my birthday) As stated they should require a licence. The public displays I don't mind it's the wee F&*^*&s letting them off randomly in the street all though the night the grinds me.

Don't really get trick or treaters now, maybe something to do with putting a rat trap in the sweetie bucket last year.

Thankfully Guy Wotsisname isn't an issue here.

Yours

latest member of the Grumpy Old Man Club
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I raised a huge cheer when I found out we were playing on Halloween, so I had my excuses to leave the house. Mrs Barlow had a couple of visitors, and to be fair she likes to see the little kids dressed up so it’s not a problem and the kids were asking after our dog who is recuperating from his op.

As an aside, for those with dogs, most folk shut their curtains and blinds thinking this helps their pets, in fact the opposite is true (and I know this through my guide dog training). Our dog wasn’t keen when we first got him, shivering in fact, but a few nights of me by his side, literally watching the fireworks and he is fine now as he can see what the banging is rather than what it might be. Not saying it works with all, but worth a go if your pet is worried, takes a bit of time too.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:I raised a huge cheer when I found out we were playing on Halloween, so I had my excuses to leave the house. Mrs Barlow had a couple of visitors, and to be fair she likes to see the little kids dressed up so it’s not a problem and the kids were asking after our dog who is recuperating from his op.

As an aside, for those with dogs, most folk shut their curtains and blinds thinking this helps their pets, in fact the opposite is true (and I know this through my guide dog training). Our dog wasn’t keen when we first got him, shivering in fact, but a few nights of me by his side, literally watching the fireworks and he is fine now as he can see what the banging is rather than what it might be. Not saying it works with all, but worth a go if your pet is worried, takes a bit of time too.
I took the big soft lump out to the man cave and sat with him. As you say BB or at least with Max, if I'm with him he's grand whether inside or out but on his own he gets really shaken up. Great info re the curtains etc :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders