The dentist

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The dentist

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:I hate the dentist, not helped by the fact I have a fear of needles (think it’s called tryphanaphobia or something).

I’ve had two teeth out, and a number of fillings without anaesthetic, originally the dentist wouldn’t do the work and I had to get a note from my doctor. Must admit though, and I was telling DLW this previously, my eyes did water a bit when I had to have a screw inserted into my gum and did think to myself I might have to have the needle next time.
My god !
Are you mad :o

I don't know how you can put up with that level of pain .. but if you need to get something done, why not go somewhere they still use gas ?
I think France still allows it, so it could be worth a trip as a health tourist.

My mate had his done in Hungary, but that was more to do with the price of an entire new set than a fear of needles.
My Mrs thinks the same mate, and didn’t believe me until she came along to one of my appointments and watched. Generally, it all starts to go numb after a while, and I can’t feel anything (I’d imagine it’s like you lot feel with an anaesthetic) but for some reason when I had the screw thing done I could feel it going in. My dentist doesn’t use gas, and I trust him now so don’t think I’d change.

It all stems from my childhood, when I was quite poorly with my kidneys and had to have 3 or 4 injections a day (even typing that word has made my palms sweat). General common sense would suggest I’d be used to the needles, but I’ve gone the other way. I had to have assistance a few weeks back when I had the flu jab, and I only put myself through that as my Mrs could literally die if she got flu.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Barlow Boy wrote:My dentist doesn’t use gas
I think it's been banned in this country.

I'm guessing it's something to do with protecting people from potential sexual assaults, but don't quote me on that.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

I had a fear of injections rooted in my childhood, most likely as a result of visits to the dentist.

However when I was in hospital at the start of the year I had quite a few injections and the technology has improved immensely and I hardly felt a thing. Likewise when I have to give a sample of blood.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:
I love my hairdresser, he's the best
Mine's better :shh:
Mines better - looking :shh: ;)
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:
I resemble that remark ! :lolno:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:I hate the dentist, not helped by the fact I have a fear of needles (think it’s called tryphanaphobia or something).

I’ve had two teeth out, and a number of fillings without anaesthetic, originally the dentist wouldn’t do the work and I had to get a note from my doctor. Must admit though, and I was telling DLW this previously, my eyes did water a bit when I had to have a screw inserted into my gum and did think to myself I might have to have the needle next time.
I had a dentist in Leeds (1960's) who would tell me a 'pain factor' out of ten. If it was 5 or less, I would not have an injection for a filling. Saved time for both of us and meant I didn't have a frozen face for several hours. Wouldn't have done it for an extraction though. :shock:
I have a phobia about general anaesthetics, due to a bad experience with gas when I was eight years old. I was only 'out' for a short time but had a horrendous nightmare. When I had my knee replacement I had a 'spinal tap'.
Fell asleep anyway and slept through the whole operation. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I actually don't mind visiting the dentist, I've had the same person since i came to Australia, he's a bit eccentric, gay (nothing wrong with that), has a wig (ok maybe there is with that), seems to employ very beautiful assistants (all female and nothing wrong with that) and loves having a chat about sport (definitely nothing wrong with that).
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:
I resemble that remark ! :lolno: