TC Sacked

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: TC Sacked

Post by zigzag »

Whilst Ive not been fully convinced by TC until Saturday I was of the belief that we give him this season and start next season with him, then if things werent good by Octy/Nov make the change then.

However on Saturday my opinion, along with a voiciferous number inside ER, changed at one moment, the substitution of PML when we were chasing the game. Chants of 'you dont know what you're doing' are very hard for a manager to overcome and AR has acted quickly.

Putting a case for TCs retention could involve VO's recruitment, which many are now questioning, it could involve the fact that TC is in his first year of English football and learning the league, it could involve injuries and suspensions. But to an extent TC didnt help himself in any of these.

Although the above are points which could be used to state a case for TC there are many more which can be used to put a case against him.....

VO recruitment, maybe TC has no input in this but I would have thought that he does have some input to the process if not the final say so but at least an agreement that he can work the player that VO has identified. But even if TC has no input he should then grow a pair and demand some input, its his job in the line way before VOs.

Learning English football, there is no evidence at all of TC learning the league, his tactics and team selections have been the same since game 1, substitutions havent changed games, as they have been like for like (or actually less like for like with inferior players coming on, Im not singling out Grot but there must be other strikers in the U23s who are worth a shout), we had a big slump in October/November, what was learnt from that, well on the evidence of the current second big slump absolutley nothing, when we have been in front hes made defensive changes from 80-85 minutes inviting trouble - these are maybe ok in less competitive leagues but in the championship teams play and compete until the final whistle.

Team selections, TC had evidently had his favourites amongst the players, and others such as Anita, Klich, havent had a look in. When a team is winning selections can remain fairly constant and squad players have to force their way into the starting XI which can be difficult, but we havent been that team this season, weve had bad runs yet TC has done little to change that by fully using his squad.

Related to squad selection are the U23s, whilst signings for the U23 team is probaly nothing to do with TC why arent some off them making the first team squad on an occasional basis, good players break into first teams and the forst team squad at the 19-20-21 age, older than that and they probaly wont make it, given player shortages through injuries and suspensions, combined with poor run of form this should see some of the more promising U23s coming into the match day squad. This isnt happening.

Discipline & suspensions, whilst TC isnt on the pitch he can and should be setting the tone for perfomances, instilling the discipline, one red can be unfortunate, two also, but at that stage the riot act should be read and players should be told strongly of their responsibilities, again it looks like TC was too weak to do this.

Post match commentsa nd analysis, is he seeing what the rest of us are seeing, it doesnt look like it. His reviews of games are bland, missing the point, glossing over things. Yes, he may not want to roast the players in public, I agree with that, but his post match interviews/analysis look like he was failing to acknowledge or unaware of the failings of the team.

Given the above I think it was right for TC to go, his hands were tied in some aspects, but in many others they werent and he failed, most crucially for me in that I could see no improvement, no signs of hope for the future, no learning, no development.

So who to get in.........not everyones cup of tea (and if things were going well certainly not mine) and it would never happen with VO here but Nigel Pearson is the type of manager to give the club and players the boot up the backside required, short sharp shock. Mick McCarthy proven record, out of contract in the summer, would he like one final crack at the club he supports, Id love to see him here. Would also be OK with Grayson. In short we need someone with experience, experience of the Championship, the players and tactics to get us out of this division.

Who will we get....probably another unknown unproven but cheap foreign coach.
jordiboy7
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by jordiboy7 »

Not too sure what to make of TC being sacked to be honest. I've been very much on the fence with TC for the last few weeks, torn between "give him time to get it right" and "he's tactically inept etc". Taking Lasogga off on Saturday was the first time he's been boo'ed (at least from what I can remember) and its been a long time since someone started the "duh duh duh duh duh duh Thomas Christiansen" chant. So it is hardly a shock when the news broke last night.

It is worth noting that the mainstay of our squad from the start of the season has been missing for the last few weeks, and will be for the next few weeks to come. Berardi, Cooper, Jansson, Shaughnessy, O'Kane, Phillips, Saiz; all have been out of the team recently, or will be still out come next week. All of which, except Shaughnessy, were in the starting 11 when we were pushing up the league and fighting in the playoffs. I can sympathize with TC, as I can imagine this being a nightmare to manage. But, that's what he gets paid to do.

Looking forward, I feel quite deflated about the names being linked to Leeds. McClaren and Stam just do not fill me with optimism at all. McClaren was/is a laughing stock in England, and the way the fans treated Stam when Reading came to Leeds just shows how much of a bad appointment that would be. Grayson, I'd probably take back. Silva would do for me too. But again, none are making me jump out of my seat in excitement at them possibly managing our club.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I doubt any British manager like Larry, WGS, McCarthy or McLaren would want to work under a DoF so personally I would expect another foreign coach at this moment.

Possibly a Brit till the end of the season as Orta can't make any more signings, though if the new guy was successful there might be a power struggle in May as he decides who he wants to sign if offered the job permanently.
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

zigzag wrote:Whilst Ive not been fully convinced by TC until Saturday I was of the belief that we give him this season and start next season with him, then if things werent good by Octy/Nov make the change then.

However on Saturday my opinion, along with a voiciferous number inside ER, changed at one moment, the substitution of PML when we were chasing the game. Chants of 'you dont know what you're doing' are very hard for a manager to overcome and AR has acted quickly.

Putting a case for TCs retention could involve VO's recruitment, which many are now questioning, it could involve the fact that TC is in his first year of English football and learning the league, it could involve injuries and suspensions. But to an extent TC didnt help himself in any of these.

Although the above are points which could be used to state a case for TC there are many more which can be used to put a case against him.....

VO recruitment, maybe TC has no input in this but I would have thought that he does have some input to the process if not the final say so but at least an agreement that he can work the player that VO has identified. But even if TC has no input he should then grow a pair and demand some input, its his job in the line way before VOs.

Learning English football, there is no evidence at all of TC learning the league, his tactics and team selections have been the same since game 1, substitutions havent changed games, as they have been like for like (or actually less like for like with inferior players coming on, Im not singling out Grot but there must be other strikers in the U23s who are worth a shout), we had a big slump in October/November, what was learnt from that, well on the evidence of the current second big slump absolutley nothing, when we have been in front hes made defensive changes from 80-85 minutes inviting trouble - these are maybe ok in less competitive leagues but in the championship teams play and compete until the final whistle.

Team selections, TC had evidently had his favourites amongst the players, and others such as Anita, Klich, havent had a look in. When a team is winning selections can remain fairly constant and squad players have to force their way into the starting XI which can be difficult, but we havent been that team this season, weve had bad runs yet TC has done little to change that by fully using his squad.

Related to squad selection are the U23s, whilst signings for the U23 team is probaly nothing to do with TC why arent some off them making the first team squad on an occasional basis, good players break into first teams and the forst team squad at the 19-20-21 age, older than that and they probaly wont make it, given player shortages through injuries and suspensions, combined with poor run of form this should see some of the more promising U23s coming into the match day squad. This isnt happening.

Discipline & suspensions, whilst TC isnt on the pitch he can and should be setting the tone for perfomances, instilling the discipline, one red can be unfortunate, two also, but at that stage the riot act should be read and players should be told strongly of their responsibilities, again it looks like TC was too weak to do this.

Post match commentsa nd analysis, is he seeing what the rest of us are seeing, it doesnt look like it. His reviews of games are bland, missing the point, glossing over things. Yes, he may not want to roast the players in public, I agree with that, but his post match interviews/analysis look like he was failing to acknowledge or unaware of the failings of the team.

Given the above I think it was right for TC to go, his hands were tied in some aspects, but in many others they werent and he failed, most crucially for me in that I could see no improvement, no signs of hope for the future, no learning, no development.

So who to get in.........not everyones cup of tea (and if things were going well certainly not mine) and it would never happen with VO here but Nigel Pearson is the type of manager to give the club and players the boot up the backside required, short sharp shock. Mick McCarthy proven record, out of contract in the summer, would he like one final crack at the club he supports, Id love to see him here. Would also be OK with Grayson. In short we need someone with experience, experience of the Championship, the players and tactics to get us out of this division.

Who will we get....probably another unknown unproven but cheap foreign coach.
Good post zigzag.
Why isn't this happening?
Last edited by Deleted User 496 on 05 Feb 2018, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

From Phil Hays Twitter feed
this morning don't think McClaren is the coach who Leeds are looking at. Someone else lined up by the sounds of things. #lufc
Winner of the Europa League
jordiboy7

Post by jordiboy7 »

Phil Hay:

"A couple of people I've spoken to this morning don't think McClaren is the coach who leeds are looking at. Someone else lined up by the sounds of things".
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:From Phil Hays Twitter feed
this morning don't think McClaren is the coach who Leeds are looking at. Someone else lined up by the sounds of things. #lufc
Thank christ for that. :clap:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Someone definitely already picked, AR not the sort to sack without someone lined up. I feel thats why it happened Sunday after time was taken to sort it otherwise he'd have gone Saturday evening.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

jordiboy7 wrote:Phil Hay:

"A couple of people I've spoken to this morning don't think McClaren is the coach who leeds are looking at. Someone else lined up by the sounds of things".
Great minds & all that :D
Winner of the Europa League
jordiboy7

Post by jordiboy7 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
jordiboy7 wrote:Phil Hay:

Great minds & all that :D

Haha, something like that mate! :thumbup: