Only You

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Only You

Post by Sniffer »

1) I've been on the Trans-Mongolian Express (Moscow to Beijing via Ulan Bator).
2) I've been shot at during the "May Events" aka "Black May" in Bangkok, 1992.
3) I've bumped in to two people from school, separately, on the same day in Sydney. I also bumped in to my sister and her boyfriend in the same place a few days earlier. Bearing in mind I come from Somerset and went to school in Bristol this was quite a big deal.
4) I used to work in old-fashioned mechanical, lever framed signal boxes. Unfortunately they were all dismantled. I am now working in a late 60s built panel signal box that is also being dismantled. I am gradually getting more modern working conditions but I doubt if I will be moving in to the newer computerised signal boxes.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My wife used to be an ambassador for SAGA so occasionally we would get the chance to ' road test ' out some hotels in unusual places. On this occasion we did 10 days in Maputo in Mozambique at the Polana Serena Hotel. Several excursions were included one a day in Swaziland & another to Kruger Park. Upon arrival at KP we were met by our guide & went on a safari seeing all the big 5 in the process. As we had started early that morning we were all starving come lunchtime. Steak & fries ordered & a large cold beer in hand the 6 of us sat down ready to eat & after a mouthful of steak our guide came rushing in telling us to follow her. 4 of us dashed off behind her but one couple remained saying they weren't going anyway till they'd eaten. Into the vehicle we go ignoring the 15mph signs we were fairly zipping along, our female guide looked pocessed & when asked what was happening just stared at the road ahead. After about 15 minutes of a very bumpy ride we pulled up alongside another half a dozen vehicles at which point our guide burst into tears. After a little while she managed to point out the reason for this manic dash & there before us was a white rhino, her first sighting of one in her 14 years as a guide, hence the outburst. We sat watching the beautiful but very rare creature & headed back to the restaurant area albeit a little more sedately than previously. Once we arrived the couple who had insisted that they were allowed to finish their meals asked what was going on, the guide explained & the 2 insisted they be taken only for the guide to say her time was over plus the rhino had now moved on & loads of vehicles were arriving but not seeing anything. We were still able to grab a sandwich & cold beer before setting off back to Maputo.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I was on an International IT seminar in Paris with my boss, mid 1970's. There were about 400 worldwide delegates and the whole thing was run by IBM. Towards the end of the first day the IBM host said that the following day there was a free period but if anyone was interested in making a systems related presentation, then they would provide facilities. Projection slides etc., I was amazed to see my boss put his hand up and even more amazed when he volunteered me to do a presentation on a new system we had just installed. I was up until 4.00 am knocking a presentation together, then missed breakfast while I sorted out my slides with the IBM guys. Not best pleased and even less pleased when about 300 of the delegates turned up to hear what I had to say. :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

Here a few from library land:

At Leeds University library were I worked 2005-2009, I had a role in Special Collections.

We had a lock of Mozart's hair which I had to get out of the case and touch!

We have one of the 300 remaining Shakespeare First Folios from the 1623 (first published collection of his works) worth around 3 million quid. Got to casually flick through it ;)

We had a royal seal and manuscript from Elizabeth I, original letters from the Bronte family, a Nobel Prize medal, Arthur Ransom's archive, the largest collection of WWI material (after Imperial War museum). Fabulous collection to work with! When I emigrated to Australia in 2009, I donated my large collection of Leeds United books to them.

Went to visit the Royal Society Archives and held the original letter of Don Revie's resignation from the England job.

In Melbourne, worked for 6 months at the Melbourne Cricket Club library (largest cricket library after Lord's) and discovered a shoebox in uncatalogued material full of original Don Bradman letters discussing his wife's illness among other things. For the intensely private Bradman, this was very unusual!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

In 1958 I was selected to play for Leeds & District FA against a Huddersfield Town eleven. It was played under lights at Beck Lane, Heckmondwike, which was Huddersfield's training ground. The pitch had a grandstand and covered terracing and a good crowd of about 3,000 turned up. As a centre-half, I was appointed captain of the Leeds team. After the game, can't remember the result, I went into the room where refreshments were laid out. One of the Leeds officials called me over and introduced me to the Huddersfield Town manager who was Bill Shankly. Next to him was a young lad with blond hair who I assumed was his son. I shook hands with Mr Shankly and the only words he spoke were 'Let me introduce you to a future Scottish international'. I shook hands with the young lad but the name 'Denis Law' didn't mean anything at the time!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:In 1958 I was selected to play for Leeds & District FA against a Huddersfield Town eleven.
John, They'll be some on here that was only born in 1958 ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:In 1958 I was selected to play for Leeds & District FA against a Huddersfield Town eleven.
There’s some in here not even born until 13 years later :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Be fair, I was only a young lad. Tender age of 22. :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Be fair, I was only a young lad. Tender age of 22. :D
:clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.