Whats your Favourite UK Cities ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Whats your Favourite UK Cities ?

Post by Selby White »

Whats your favourite UK Cities to visit for a weekend break ?

If I didn't live so close York would definately on my list, great Pubs, restaurants and plenty to see and do during the day.

So moving on we do enjoy an occasional long weekend in London, such a big place so tend to visit different things each time we go. Even visited a big community bonfire in 2016 somewhere near Wimbledon.
On our last trip walked part of the Thames Footpath through the East End from Woolwich to Greenwich.
Found a few decent Pubs, restaurants and actually enjoy the odd west end show.

Edinburgh we've done twice but really enjoy it and will stop there again I'm sure. While talking about North of the Border had a few hours and a night in Inverness when touring the north coast and would love to visit again with a little more time.

Back to England and special mentions to Bristol and Lincoln although the later I only spent a day out there so not sure about the night life.

Think i've been to the majority of the UK touristy cities but still some to knock off the list, Belfast is next up in September.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Re: Whats your Favourite UK Cities ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Brighton, Bournemouth, Bristol and Battersea (seriously) for the nightlife. My mate lives in the latter place and there's a few good pubs plus one great one with a late license that always has live music Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There's a hilarious Irish pub too - tiny little place, but always a warm welcome - and a couple of gastro's too, one of which has a whacking great clay pizza oven behind the bar.

York is ace during the day and pretty good at night. Leeds ditto :)

I agree about Edinburgh - had a couple of friends up there and went a few times.

Other than that, Liverpool was pretty cool the few times I've been, as was Manchester, but really I find it's generally about who you're with, don't you think ?
If my sister comes over, we like to go somewhere we've not been before and just explore.
Otherwise, it's normally being taken to places by friends, generally revolving around food, drink and music - and that's about as good a combination as you can get.

Southampton is great.
Really vibrant music scene with lots of venues and some excellent local bands across loads of genres. There's also four or five "circuit" venues that attract national and international talent as well as a couple of world class classical/jazz places too. There's a brilliant art gallery, the new Titanic museum, loads of parkland in the heart of the city, the historic walls and Bargate, the seventh biggest shopping destination in the UK (West Quay). five cinemas, loads of clubs and four distinct districts for nights out : student types at one end of town, mainstream/chav in the city, mature (me !) and live scene at the other end, plus a whole indie thing going on on the outskirts.
There's a long stony beach, lots of golf courses and the New Forest on our doorstep too.

Plus, if any of you come down you'd have a great tour guide ;)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Mine has to be York it has everything. Good restaurants, theatre, shops, excellent museums, decent pubs & bars. Yes it's very touristy but just love the place.
Winner of the Europa League
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

York for me. Probably followed by Chester.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Edinburgh, pity its so far away. This does not qualify but - Cork. Cork is brilliant, must get back there some time.
I once played against Don Revie.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Another vote for York here.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

York, Leeds and Chester and a shout out to Tullamore in Ireland.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

Leeds, York, and Birmingham. Three good cities and good memories of them all.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

johnh wrote:Edinburgh, pity its so far away. This does not qualify but - Cork. Cork is brilliant, must get back there some time.
I'm also starting to think I need to get back to Cork sometime. Its been nearly four years since i was home. I will try to get back before the end of the year. :thumbup:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

CorkWhite wrote:
johnh wrote:Edinburgh, pity its so far away. This does not qualify but - Cork. Cork is brilliant, must get back there some time.
I'm also starting to think I need to get back to Cork sometime. Its been nearly four years since i was home. I will try to get back before the end of the year. :thumbup:

I'll hopefully visiting in September along with a few other parts of Ireland. Looking forward to it :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.