2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by SiMamu »

Pearce looks like a left footed Byram at times. Makes me emotional just to think about.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

SiMamu wrote:Pearce looks like a left footed Byram at times. Makes me emotional just to think about.
Must admit, did get a bit of a tear in my eye when he scored :oops:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Wasnt impressed with McBurnie today, yes he was playing in a poor side but you would think that he would want to put in a good performance as hes been linked with us
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

zigzag wrote:Wasnt impressed with McBurnie today, yes he was playing in a poor side but you would think that he would want to put in a good performance as hes been linked with us
I hope we don't sign him. We have Roberts who's 20, Kun is 18, Dalby 18, Edmondson 16, we have enough young strikers with potential. I want someone more experienced, Abel Hernandez on a free for example. I hope we don't sign Yiadom either. He's no better than what we have and I'd rather play Pearce.
Jacko
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by Jacko »

My views on current squad having been to around 30 games this season...
Wiedwald - a liability and has to go
Lonergan - slightly less of a liability and should have gone to Sunderland as that would have taken him into league 1 which is about the right level
BPF - a find and must be kept
De bock - still finding his feet in the championship but hasn’t yet had a chance to fully prove himself. If he doesn’t improve he should go in January 2019
Pearce - very promising, but looks lightweight and uncertain when put under pressure. Might be better at wing back. But loads of promise
Anita - squad player
Ayling - we have missed him and I hope he comes back to the form he showed in his first season
Jansson - I have never been completely convinced. I think Bartley made him look better last season and he hasn’t risen to the challenge this season. Too many histrionics and well. We should cash in on him.
O’Connor - looks relatively assured in defence for a young player and has real promise
Cooper - too much flying in and injuries for me. Time to move on
Berardi - ditto on the flying in and moving on
Pennington - I wouldn’t sign him permanently
Shaugnessy - I can see why reading let him go. Squad player
Dallas - a good (and versatile) championship player and a definite keep.
O Kane - started fairly well but has been a shadow of that early season player. Let him go.
Forshaw - looks quality and we should definitely keep him
Phillips - average season but capable of more in my view. Another who’s more recent form is well below early season
Viera - we forget he’s one of the youngest players and has done really well trying to hold us together at times. He and forshaw should be first choice CM next season
Alioski - I like his work rate and he keeps chipping in with goals. With a bit more coolness on the ball he’d have had 5/6 more goals this season. A definite keep
Hernandez - well worth another two seasons IMO
Saiz - poor disciplinary record and lack of recent goals for a number 10, plus he doesn’t look up for the fight anymore. I think the English championship has defeated him. Cash in in the summer if we can
Sacko - doesn’t deserve a place in the squad
Grot - ditto and I can’t understand why managers keep throwing him on. The miss against (was it the Preston game?) Was unbelievable and sums him up.
Roofe - slowly improving in my view and is our top scorer. A definite keep.
Lasogga - words fail me really. A general lack of effort unless you give him the ball in space in the last 20 yards. Won’t be returning next season.
Cibicki - haven’t seen enough but I have seen little to impress me
Ekuban - I like his work rate, but he is about league 2 level in his ability as a striker. But I think he will improve. Wouldn’t worry me if he went.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

Good assessment from Jacko imho

I would only give Hernandez one season, although he would probably be looking for 2.... tricky!

I'd keep Cooper as well... played well at the start of the year, is now an experienced Championship player and seems popular in the dressing room.... I think he has passion too.

I'd also keep Saiz.... he can unlock defences.... he's petulant when things don't go his way, but top players often are...

I agree about Roofe.... I know in some games he's anonymous, but he's scored a fair few goals this season.... reminds me of Chris Woods in the sense that he scored more goals each season as he found his feet....

Talking of goals, I would definitely go for McBurnie.... 8 in 14 in a struggling team can't be argued with...

I actually don't think we're too far off... cash in on Pontus, get 2 good centre backs, a first choice goalkeeper and a top marksman....
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I'd agree with all Jacko says apart from letting Saiz go. No way. Build a decent team around him and we might get somewhere. Regardless of all the different opinions, I think everyone agrees that quite a few new and significantly better players are needed.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I agree with Jacko about almost every single player - sell Jansson and Saiz gets a thumbs up from me for both financial and team ethic perspective and I think you called the rest accurately too.

The one ?

Don't laugh ..

Grot.

I watched him really closely during the Leicester cup game and saw something.
He's a beast too, so if we can get the mental side right he could be a real handful.
He won't be on much of a salary either so why not give him a full pre-season, see if he cuts it in the friendlies to build some confidence : if he does, keep him in the squad, if he doesn't then send him on loan.
Jacko
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by Jacko »

Funnily enough, Rigger, there is part of me which agrees with you about Grot. He has the physique and power which tells you he should be capable of being a really effective player. The bit of me that doesn’t agree is that he has made 20+ appearances, right from the start of the season and there has been no improvement at all. So it’s a question of how long do you let it go on.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Jacko wrote:Funnily enough, Rigger, there is part of me which agrees with you about Grot. He has the physique and power which tells you he should be capable of being a really effective player. The bit of me that doesn’t agree is that he has made 20+ appearances, right from the start of the season and there has been no improvement at all. So it’s a question of how long do you let it go on.
How many have been starts or full games though? He's barely 20 years old and he's new to English football in general and the Championship in particular. Remember our last two 30+ goals-a-season strikers, Wood and McCormack, had atrocious first seasons and they were established players. Jay-Roy may turn out to be a complete duffer, and from what I've seen that could be distinctly possible, but something has been seen in him so we should give him a chance. I hope that I'm proved wrong and starts scoring regularly.