Do you think I'm made of money ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Do you think I'm made of money ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

At The Oval on Saturday I was thirsty on arrival & went to buy a bottle of watter, £2:80 was the reply I tried to explain to this jellied eel salesman that you could buy a lake outside Tadcaster for £3:50. Anyway as I say I was thirsty so handed over the £2:80 & said when Dick Turpin was riding the Yorkshire roads at least he wore a pigging mask. :twisted: OW Much :twisted:
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Do you think I'm made of money ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

It would've cost him 25p at the most wholesale.

That's a profit margin of £2.55.

I don't mind paying £1.50 for a bottle of water in a bar but anything more and I get a bit arsey about it all, too.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

On Saturday, I met up with a fellow Everton supporter (over from the States) at Heathrow Holiday Inn. They charge for parking (including residents) and the 'overnight' charge is twelve quid!
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:On Saturday, I met up with a fellow Everton supporter (over from the States) at Heathrow Holiday Inn. They charge for parking (including residents) and the 'overnight' charge is twelve quid!
I can believe that.

What I can't believe is that parking charges across the country are going up when the plight of the high street would suggest that scrapping them all together would be better for the economy, both of each council's area of jurisdiction and of the country itself.

If they don't act very soon there'll be empty units everywhere and nobody visiting to pay the charges anymore.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

rigger wrote:It would've cost him 25p at the most wholesale.

That's a profit margin of £2.55.

I don't mind paying £1.50 for a bottle of water in a bar but anything more and I get a bit arsey about it all, too.

There is a very high % mark up in the Perfume & Tobacco industry....guessing Petrol as well
Deleted User 728

Clothing is a minimum 100% usually.

Most bars run on about 45-55% GP margins, most food stores about 35-40%.

A lot of products don't make any money at all but lure people in - tobacco, alcohol and newspapers/magazines - so once you're in, they hope you pick up a chocolate bar, a can of pop and a loaf of bread.
I know most convenience stores are feeling the pinch right now.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

£2.80 for a bottle of water, you get get a pack of 12 at work for £1.35. It the type of price you would expect at a festival, where the vendors know most people are off there heads and need to drink water, so they exploit it. :crazy:

Is there now a plastic tax, to follow on from the sugar tax? Tax hell or should that be haven.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Slightly different but Dominos Pizza, sorry can't do it. I know people love them but £17.50 for a 13" pizza before you do anything else is just mad. Friday nights, we like a pizza and a break from cooking. 14" pizza from ASDA cracking job great toppings £4 job done.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Same for curries these days.
ASDA's own, Tesco's own - they're both brilliant if I can't be arsed to cook one myself and it's normally a fiver or so for two people.

Lidl's aren't bad either while their "luxury" pizza range is fantastic and even cheaper than £4 !! :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:Slightly different but Dominos Pizza, sorry can't do it. I know people love them but £17.50 for a 13" pizza before you do anything else is just mad. Friday nights, we like a pizza and a break from cooking. 14" pizza from ASDA cracking job great toppings £4 job done.

Sorry this is off thread but I can't see or hear 'Dominos Pizza' without thinking of comedian Mick Miller when he phone's for a pizza.

'Hello, Dominos Pizza, Carl here, how can I help you'
'Well Carl, guess'. Have you got a drive shaft for a 1973 Ford Cortina?'

Always amused me that one.
I once played against Don Revie.