Lest we forget

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Lest we forget

Post by DominanceUK »

johnh wrote:I know I have posted this before but I remember Don Revie giving up his Sunday afternoon to play for a Leeds United eleven in a practise match against Yorkshire Amateur. He was aware that 'Ammers' had reached the later stages of the old FA Amateur Cup and had been drawn away to Bromley in the next round. He arranged the practise game for the week before. I was playing centre forward and the Don played centre half, so was marking me. He talked to me the whole game, giving advice. Shame I wasn't good enough to take advantage! After the game he spent a lot of time talking to Ammers team, analysing strengths and weaknesses. What a gentleman he was. RIP. I should add that this was totally Don Revie's idea. He approached Yorkshire Amateur and made the offer. (1961/62 season)
I'd like to think that Leeds runs through his blood 24/7, (watched a ridiculous amounts of videos), never seen him, never had the honour of meeting him. It's a shame he's not on the board right now, his wisdom would be second to none. I absolutely love the history and heritage, not only of Leeds Utd, but the city, the country and the human race, so fascinating.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

30 years ago today the great man died:-

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9789402
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Simply the best.
Gone but NEVER forgotten.
RIP Sir Don, thank you for the memories which I shall treasure for ever!
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

The Don and Big John Charles in April 1957 Sunderland verses Leeds
Never seen this image before.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

CorkWhite wrote:Image
Just look at those boots. You knew you'd been clogged if you got hit by them!

PS If that's the no.5 shirt that John Charles is wearing then that's the shirt I wore two years later when Leeds loaned Yorkshire Amateur a set of shirts for an FA Cup replay. Team photo with those shirts somewhere on this site. (He filled it out a bit more than me. :D )

RIP The Don.
Last edited by johnh on 29 May 2019, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
I once played against Don Revie.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

CorkWhite wrote:Image
There's a large framed version of it where I DJ on Saturday night at the New Masons, Oulton. The pub is covered in great images of Leeds United teams past and present. John, the landlord is a lifelong fan and gets to most of the games and many ex players have stayed there. It's great when visitors to he area try to identify the players in the images and I'm always happy to oblige.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Love the sticky plaster on his knee, I wonder how long that lasted on there.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

LAsouthcoast wrote:Love the sticky plaster on his knee, I wonder how long that lasted on there.
Having seen big John play a lot then that plaster was probably because he broke his leg the previous game. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

johnh wrote:
LAsouthcoast wrote:Love the sticky plaster on his knee, I wonder how long that lasted on there.
Having seen big John play a lot then that plaster was probably because he broke his leg the previous game. :D
It would have been interesting to see what he thought of todays footballer. There wouldn`t be many who could have handled that era of football.