Bielsa's tactics

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Bielsa's tactics

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Just to get our juices flowing, I thought I'd post some stuff about how Marcelo Bielsa likes to play the game.

- High-tempo, attacking football
- High-pressing
- Inverted full-backs
- Flooding the midfield at the back
- Outnumbering the attack with a spare defender (typically three at the back)
- One big target-man up top and fluidity behind him

This is all well and good in the EPL, Spain, Italy or France and indeed in his native South America, but for The Championship ?
Well, if you're Wolves and have a continental super-agent on your payroll and the money to allow him to do his job properly, happy days, but what about a middling club with a limited budget ?
How will the players fit in to his system .. or will he need to change the system ?

He has actually dropped the 3-DC thing - famously at Marseille - and gone for a 433 or 4231 instead, using the wide attackers to play as inside forwards allowing the wing-backs to bomb on down the flanks. Either way, the aim is to swamp the opposition, win the ball back as quickly as possible and press forwards again. And again. And again.

The man is relentless.

I love the sound of it, but as I said before he may be past it. He's 62 now. Not ancient, but it's a hell of a risk to try him, not only in England for the first time, but in one of the most competitive leagues in world football at one of it's most unstable clubs.

With all that in mind, this is how we could line up with the current squad :

+15
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Bielsa's tactics

Post by +15 »

We haven't got him yet.

Hockaday may return. :mrgreen:
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

I just posted this in the thread about Heck leaving:

I find this video very interesting, when it comes to Bielsas tactics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDRVk4qvDX0

Midfielders or full backs as CB. I think Ayling could be a great right CB under Bielsa. Maybe Shaugnessy aswell? To me Pearce seems better in the attacking part of the game, so I think his place in this formation should be wing back and not CB. Wingers like Alioski and Dallas could probably do well as wing backs as well.
Deleted User 728

Polkadot wrote:To me Pearce seems better in the attacking part of the game, so I think his place in this formation should be wing back and not CB.
My mistake - it should've been Cooper in his position.
Sorry about that !
Deleted User 728

Just changed it :o
Karolkarol
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Karolkarol »

My opinion on Bielsa, if indeed that is who it is to be.

Lille was obviously a nightmare and really his first failure, by all accounts there were behind the scenes issues with paying off stadiums/balancing books etc but on the field they were undeniably crap. Lazio, he was apparently promised a war chest and when he got there it was empty. Marseille, won the cup and finished 4th behind PSG and Monaco (pre fire sale), no disgrace. Prior to that a pretty good record with Bilbao, Chile and Argentina.

His formations, be it his version of a 4213 or the 3313 I think suit the core of our current squad. Especially the 3313. He apparently tends to play with 1 or 2 centre backs using midfielders or fullbacks filling in the back 3 slots, We’ve got decent sized, quick defensive full backs in Ayling and Berardi who could play in his back 3. You could even see someone like Oriol Rey come in, seemingly technically good and comfortable in midfield or defence or conceivably even Vieira.

The water carrier slot in front of the back 4/3 could very well suit Forshaw, Klich or dare I even say O’kane.

Alioski, if he gets studs for his boots, Dallas and Pearce are pretty well suited to the wing back/attacking full back roles.

Pablo and Saiz are perfect for the enganche (number 10) role he always plays with.

He doesn’t always play with a traditional centre forward and we don’t fecking have a decent one anyway.

We’d still need to recruit heavily to add players to score goals and one to keep them out but with the personnel we have I’d be more optimistic with Bielsa’s tactics than someone like Mick McCarthy’s hoofball. Given the amount of foreign players we have at the club would they be more willing to buy into the mentality and ethos of bit of a coaching legend like Bielsa than some fella who has been marooned in Norfolk for 10 years and just shouts a lot.

It'd undoubtedly be a risk but Wagner was a risk for the dog botherers and Espirito Santo for Wolves. It's apparent we can't buy our way out of this league so why not try something a bit more unconventional, I know it's a different kettle of fish and 7 or 8 years ago but he made an average Bilbao side with a limited player pool a very very good side.

Another thing, given his reputation as El Loco, you’d assume that he’d take no $hit from Orta and that would be no bad thing.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

My 3-3-1-3 shout:

..............Bpf/Gun
Ayling Bartley Jansson
Alioski Forshaw Pearce
............. Vieira
Saiz Hernandez Hernandez
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Looks like he abandoned the 3 at the back once the formation was used up.

It sounds good but are players of this standard going to take all of it on board? We cant even organise ourselves to defend a cross into our box.

Wolves played with this type of intensity and it served them well but they had intelligent, technically gifted players as well as a bloody big back 3/4 to cope with this division.

If he is the man, AR & Orta will need to leave well alone and give him funds to spend.
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

There is absolutely no way Bielsa could have been persuaded to join Leeds without the promise of a very large transfer budget - we do have a few technical gifted players - add to that 5 or 6 more Bielsa will bring in - I think a deal is in place as the sacking of PH would not have happened as quick as it did - please god it is - This could be a special season for us.