Bucket lists

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Bucket lists

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:BB, so you lived in your first house for at least 17 years? In the 17 years after I bought my first house, I moved 5 times (4 being work related) which meant an increase in mortgage each time. My final move, which involved the biggest mortgage of all, was when I was 46, thought I did well to pay it off at age 60. :shock:
Sorry to raid the thread - back on topic.
No, Sir John, it was a new build house and I bought it for £60,000 just before the house prices went nuts. Only one year later, I sold it for £120,000.

Since then, I just paid off the mortgage in chunks. If my relatives gave me money at Christmas, I’d save it up, go into C&G in York and pay a small chunk off. I started getting decent bonuses at work and did exactly the same.

It’s amazing how quickly the amount you owe can come down.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What a incredible trip down memory lane I had. On Saturday morning the duty manager got wind of me having worked there all those years ago & gave me a guided tour of the hotel as well as a tour behind the scenes. Worth every penny the trip cost :D
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:What a incredible trip down memory lane I had. On Saturday morning the duty manager got wind of me having worked there all those years ago & gave me a guided tour of the hotel as well as a tour behind the scenes. Worth every penny the trip cost :D
Excellent that NW. There are some thoughtful guys about.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:What a incredible trip down memory lane I had. On Saturday morning the duty manager got wind of me having worked there all those years ago & gave me a guided tour of the hotel as well as a tour behind the scenes. Worth every penny the trip cost :D
Didn't they do a short TV series about The Midland Hotel a few years back, seem to recall seeing a couple of episides.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
Didn't they do a short TV series about The Midland Hotel a few years back, seem to recall seeing a couple of episides.
I believe it was though personally never saw it.
Winner of the Europa League
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I believe Wicks has a good selection. I prefer the old metal type. :D
No need to make do with the old metal type, look what's available in the club shop :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqxesWWXcAM ... &name=orig
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Write a book ...done :thumbup:

And not a joke compilation lol
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Back in 1968 I went to work as a commis waiter at the Midland Hotel in Manchester. 50 years on I'm returning today as a guest. Have treated us to a junior suite as a special treat. I've never entered the hotel through the front door so that in itself will be an experience. A couple of years back on going to the railway museum in York I spent over an hour looking at all the cutlery, crockery & glassware that was on display as The Midland was an old British Transport Hotel. Since then a overnight stay has been top of my bucket list.

What's on yours ?
Didn't spot this at the time, but in season 1958/59 I played a representative game for 'Northern Amateurs' against Stockport County. It was a trial for the GB team for the 1960 Rome Olympics. I was nominated as captain and my goalkeeper was Bob Wilson (of Arsenal fame) who was then at Loughborough College. The letter I got (signed by Sir Stanley Rouse) instructed us to meet at the Midland Hotel in Manchester. The FA provided tea and sandwiches prior to going to Stockport's ground. The game was played in thick fog, you couldn't see either goal from the centre line. I never got any further and I always blame the fog as the selector's couldn't see how good I was! :D The centre-half spot eventually went to Laurie Brown of Bishop Auckland who went on to play for Spurs. Still got the letter from Sir Stanley Rouse.
I once played against Don Revie.