When is a Kit Kat a Kit Kat?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

When is a Kit Kat a Kit Kat?

Post by daib0 »

Kit Kat case: No break for Nestlé in trademark row

Even if it looks like a Kit Kat, it might not be. The European Court of Justice has thrown out an appeal by the chocolate bar's maker, Nestlé, which argued that it owns the shape of the teatime treat.

Nestlé has spent more than a decade fighting to trademark the four-fingered wafer shape - something that rival Cadbury had fought hard against. But Wednesday's judgement found that a previous court had been right to annul the decision by Europe's trademark group. That could bring an end to the snack's protected European status - and a saga that has proved expensive for both sides.

It also takes the pressure off identical treats like Norway's Kvikk Lunsj - pronounced "quick lunch" and which has been around for 80 years - and opens the door to own-brand imitations at your local supermarket.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44939819

Isn't it a bit sad that 'big business' means living in a constant state of stress for some companies??
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Deleted User 728

Re: When is a Kit Kat a Kit Kat?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

There are already loads of versions of Mars Bars, Twix and Snickers out there, not to mention honeycomb bars, etc so who cares ..

Seems like a massive waste of time and money to me.

I can understand Lego taking out a copyright (which is lapsed now I think, hence the compatible imitators) and also the contesting of the music copyright laws. Cliff Richard and The Rolling Stones argue that because they're still around, they should still receive royalties on their songs being sold anywhere in any form, whereas previously any piece of recorded music over the age of 50 was free to chuck on a compilation CD or use in a movie or TV show.

But Kit-Kat ?
When all the others have been copied already ?

Horse.
Stable door.

:wtf: