Commentators

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Commentators

Post by NottinghamWhite »

These so called experts are they really necessary in sport today ? It really has, particularly on Sky become a job for the boys & these days girls. At a game of cricket there can be as many as 8 all doing 30 minute stints telling us what we've already just watched. All of these ' experts ' will be commanding decent salaries plus travelling the world by first class air travel & 5* hotels to stay in. Am I just becoming a miserable old git or do you agree too many of 'em ?
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Commentators

Post by Selby White »

Can't stand most of them total waste of money.

That makes two of us in the miserable old gits club.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

A few years back a mate of mine was in the arrivals security queue at O'Hare airport (Chicago) just before the Ryder Cup.

It's was taking well over an hour to get through when John Inverdale and his cronies arrived and walked to the front of the queue.
They flashed their Press ID's only to be told by one of the American security officers where the back of the queue was.

Apparently people in the queue cheered the security man and the look on their faces was priceless.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Are you saying commentators aren't needed for televised sport or just the ones that get on your wicks?

:)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Are you saying commentators aren't needed for televised sport or just the ones that get on your wicks?

:)

Not saying commentators aren't needed it's just the sheer number who are on the payroll. At the recent World Cup you'd have 2 commentating on the game, 1 pitch side & up to 4 in the studio. It's even worse at cricket there can be as many as 8 all doing 20 minute stints. Plus all the analysis is it needed ? Also in football the jobs seem open to only Man U or Liverpool players is there no one else, I know there are exceptions but they're clearly the favoured ones.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I tend to switch the sound off at halftime during the football rather than listen to them prattling on.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Personally I don't mind them as at half time I usually go put the kettle on. Agree though that maybe one guest "pro" in the studio would be enough.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think it all depends on who they are but there's no need for more than two.
The ITV pundits were largely very good at the World Cup but there were simply too many, especially with the ad breaks interrupting any flow they got going.
I'd rather watch Bilic and Keane or Dixon and O'Neill for the entire half time segment than sit through Mark Pougatch squeezing them all for a series of bullet points every time ...
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ve not thought about the actual numbers of commentators, but the great Sid Waddell was my personal favourite, and whilst he’s from the dark side, I do like Bumble at the cricket.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Like a smelly trump in a lift, I shall just leave this here:

I don't like female commentary on men's football.

Tin hat on and I'm OUTTA here :D