Commentators

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Commentators

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:I’ve not thought about the actual numbers of commentators, but the great Sid Waddell was my personal favourite, and whilst he’s from the dark side, I do like Bumble at the cricket.
I have to admit I'm a huge Bumble fan I love the interaction with the crowd it's both entertaining & fun, as sport should be. Without wanting to sound sexist Isa Guha is a waste of space on the cricket, she clearly understands t20 & the ladies game but other than that sorry. She just repeats what others have said & tends to answer a question with a question.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Many years ago we had Bumble as guest speaker at our Rugby Club dinner. He was very, very good and very funny. I was sat next to him during dinner and he was just as funny in general conversation. He's a natural.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Some commentators just seem to have the right voice for the Sport. One that always sticks with me was David Coleman. He was brilliant at commentating on the Athletics imo.

They do go on a bit for me the Sky Cricket commentators. Much prefer the comms on the highlights show on Channel 5. Mind you, i suppose that's only on for 1hr. :?
Last edited by Deleted User 3289 on 29 Jul 2018, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Like a smelly trump in a lift, I shall just leave this here:

I don't like female commentary on men's football.

Tin hat on and I'm OUTTA here :D
Seriously ?
Open your mind.
Gabby has been amazing for years and her interviews with the England squad and manager are a BIG factor in why they're back in favour.
The two female pundits also did their homework and made strong points, regardless of Evra's prehistoric reaction.
Get used to it, because they are not going away and nor should they.
Deleted User 3289

rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Like a smelly trump in a lift, I shall just leave this here:

Seriously ?
Open your mind.
Gabby has been amazing for years and her interviews with the England squad and manager are a BIG factor in why they're back in favour.
The two female pundits also did their homework and made strong points, regardless of Evra's prehistoric reaction.
I have to be honest and say i'm not there yet. It just feels unnatural to hear some female commentators. Now if you ever tune into the Netball, they blow it out of the water and leave me feeling like Peter schmeichel when he was on MOTD. :P
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:

Seriously ?
Open your mind.
My mind is very open, you should read what I actually wrote :thumbup: . Gabby does not do commentary as far as I'm aware.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

On the BBC Final Score on a Saturday evening, some of the match reports were done by female reporters. There was one, don't know her name, who screeched her reports like a banshee. There are some awful male reporters and there are awful female reporters. What we need are the BEST reporters regardless of their sex. I do think the BBC, particularly, has some female reporters because they are female.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

The best Football female reporter i have heard is a girl called Michelle Owen. She was a game reporter for SSN. Looks like Sky have rewarded her with a full time anchor job. Credit where its due.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
rigger wrote:

Seriously ?
Open your mind.
My mind is very open, you should read what I actually wrote :thumbup: . Gabby does not do commentary as far as I'm aware.
Actually, you're right there.
I assumed you were talking about all female football broadcasters, not just the commentators :shifty:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:The best Football female reporter i have heard is a girl called Michelle Owen. She was a game reporter for SSN. Looks like Sky have rewarded her with a full time anchor job. Credit where its due.
Agreed I like MIchelle Owen and I actually think Bianca Westwood does a good job too. I like her banter with Mr Stelling . Both show knowledge of the game and obviously love football.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders