Bielsa in The Guardian

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Bielsa in The Guardian

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Bielsa in The Guardian

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Marcelo Bielsa had a question. The new Leeds manager wanted to find out how hard the average supporter had to work to pay for a ticket to watch the team. How many hours did he or she have to put in? It was unclear what kind of calculations went into the answer but one was provided. It would be about three.

So the Argentinian called his players together and he told them that, for the next three hours, they would be picking up litter from around the club’s Thorp Arch training ground. He wanted them to learn a lesson; to appreciate how the fans laboured to fulfil their passion.
Winner of the Europa League
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Marcelo Bielsa had a question. The new Leeds manager wanted to find out how hard the average supporter had to work to pay for a ticket to watch the team. How many hours did he or she have to put in? It was unclear what kind of calculations went into the answer but one was provided. It would be about three.

So the Argentinian called his players together and he told them that, for the next three hours, they would be picking up litter from around the club’s Thorp Arch training ground. He wanted them to learn a lesson; to appreciate how the fans laboured to fulfil their passion.
Not sure what to make of that tbh NW. I think that 3hrs is just based around the national minimum wage x3 which would be around the same for ur average ticket at ER. Litter around Thorp Arch, I'm just going to assume most of that comes from the players anyway? I'd like to know if he has done this at any other club he's managed before? Other clubs he managed at, had arguably better players and certainly players who were on a higher wage than those currently at Leeds. I appreciate what he's getting at but I think he's undermining what these players actually know about playing for Leeds United.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Seems more like a bit of PR stunt, a noble one though, which is getting favourable reception and might just help a few of them appreciate that they're in one of the best jobs on the planet :)
SpursWHL
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by SpursWHL »

DominanceUK wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Marcelo Bielsa had a question. The new Leeds manager wanted to find out how hard the average supporter had to work to pay for a ticket to watch the team. How many hours did he or she have to put in? It was unclear what kind of calculations went into the answer but one was provided. It would be about three.

Not sure what to make of that tbh NW. I think that 3hrs is just based around the national minimum wage x3 which would be around the same for ur average ticket at ER. Litter around Thorp Arch, I'm just going to assume most of that comes from the players anyway? I'd like to know if he has done this at any other club he's managed before? Other clubs he managed at, had arguably better players and certainly players who were on a higher wage than those currently at Leeds. I appreciate what he's getting at but I think he's undermining what these players actually know about playing for Leeds United.
No offense, but you don't "get" Bielsa. First thing Pochettino did at Spurs was to get the players to interact more with the Tottenham neighbourhood. He built a rapport between players and residents very quickly. That kind of ethic now filters through the community and into the first team and youth team. It works. The players care more...when they know and meet who they're playing for.

Bielsa was Pochettino's mentor. It comes as absolutely no surprise to hear of this press story. It's all about building a comradery that filters right through the club and into the community.

You're in good hands with Bielsa. Trust me.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Nice one, mate - thanks for the info .. now go and win the title. You deserve it and you're the only club - apart from your nearest neighbours - that I don't loathe in the top 6 ;)