2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
dunlop
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by dunlop »

well i think we definitely need another strong central defender, we've won the first game of the season at home and we looked good til crouch came on!
other teams will look at that and think it a weakness!
we got lucky with our second goal (bad goalkeeping.), and they hit the crossbar, on another day it could have 2-2 or 3-3!
i have not forgotten last season, we looked strongly positioned for the play-offs coming upto xmas, then it fell apart at the seams, and if we had not been so far up the table at the time it could have easily turned into a relegation battle!
get another strong central defender, see where we are come the jan transfer window, then strengthen accordinally and let's hope we have much better season than the last one turned out to be!
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

I must admit I don't rate Phillips or Cooper too highly judging on previous seasons (rather than just one game). For a midfielder Phillips hasn't got a great pass and gives away too many needless fouls. Cooper has a big mistake him, just a matter of when.

I'm really hoping MB has improved them both but can they really improve that much? If I was being critical and wanting us to really challenge, it's 2 positions I think we could do better in.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

sgt_pooly wrote:I must admit I don't rate Phillips or Cooper too highly judging on previous seasons (rather than just one game). For a midfielder Phillips hasn't got a great pass and gives away too many needless fouls. Cooper has a big mistake him, just a matter of when.

I'm really hoping MB has improved them both but can they really improve that much? If I was being critical and wanting us to really challenge, it's 2 positions I think we could do better in.
Disagree on both accounts Sarg, Cooper with the right coach will prove to be an excellent player. Phillips has one of the best engines in the team his passing will continue to improve his weaker areas. Also he is capable of goals from midfield as he proved last season.
Both were excellent yesterday, proving a vital part of our squad.
Lots of fans I feel make their mind up about a player too early and don't move on, too quick to make them scapegoats and punish every mistake yet other players (fans favorites) seem immune to the critics.
Strange thing whoever we've had as manager seems to like them and pick them.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Maybe I was drunk on elation or it was sunstroke but I don't remember Leeds suddenly looking vulnerable after Crouch came on.

Also, Ince's shot was superb but other than that, what did BPF have to worry about throughout the match - he didn't seem to have much to do.

Phillips is raw and definitely needs improvement to his game but wasn't he second top scorer last season? There's plenty more GOOD about his game than bad but I suppose he will always divide opinion. Just a shame that those who dislike him make the most noise! Cooper has the main problem IMO of lapses of concentration which cause him to make too-impulsive decisions which often were stupid ones. He wouldn't be my first choice either but if Bielsa can help eradicate the stupid mistakes he often makes then we've got a good, basic defender. Plus he scored a good goal, good lad.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Maybe I was drunk on elation or it was sunstroke but I don't remember Leeds suddenly looking vulnerable after Crouch came on.

Also, Ince's shot was superb but other than that, what did BPF have to worry about throughout the match - he didn't seem to have much to do.

Phillips is raw and definitely needs improvement to his game but wasn't he second top scorer last season? There's plenty more GOOD about his game than bad but I suppose he will always divide opinion. Just a shame that those who dislike him make the most noise! Cooper has the main problem IMO of lapses of concentration which cause him to make too-impulsive decisions which often were stupid ones. He wouldn't be my first choice either but if Bielsa can help eradicate the stupid mistakes he often makes then we've got a good, basic defender. Plus he scored a good goal, good lad.
I've been one of Phillips and Coopers biggest critics but on Sunday they were both outstanding. Cooper should've been booked but got away with it but he also prevented it being 1-1, excellent positional play to prevent them from a certain goal. Phillips went over the top with a daft challenge and got away with it. They were mistakes but they didn't get punished for it. I suppose they have a lot to do to win over a lot of fans but if they continue to put in performances like they did on Sun then I will continue with the praise. Yes, Crouch won some headers but he did that in the PL against some of the worlds best, he is 10ft after all!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Ryan Edmondson has signed a new 3 year deal.
Winner of the Europa League
MarkVidukasShimmy
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by MarkVidukasShimmy »

blackbox2342 wrote:
SiMamu wrote:Charlton looking to sign O'Kane.
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9287713
If O'Kane leaves then we do really start to look short in midfield.

See onlime we are being linked with George Saville of Millwall. Anyone know what he's like?
Good young box-to-box midfielder; came into the NI team within the pressure of the World Cup play offs and acquitted himself very well. Would bloom under Bielsa I'd say, though this is the first I've seen him linked.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I want to reserve judgement on any of the players, new or old, considering that we are just one game into the new season.

The only thing I can say is that IMHO the current squad is still lacking quality and resources in all areas - defence, midfield and attack - and as we near the Thursday transfer deadline to be properly competitive. The likelihood of getting some quality players is rapidly diminishing. Plus the fact that despite all the speculation about who we might be in for the Club is essentially skint although Marcello Bielsa has made it clear that he would welcome some additional players. I think we have all the cards that we are going to get for now

There still remains some possibilities of getting in players on loan until the end of the month and also moving on some of the deadwood.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

DominanceUK wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Maybe I was drunk on elation or it was sunstroke but I don't remember Leeds suddenly looking vulnerable after Crouch came on.

I've been one of Phillips and Coopers biggest critics but on Sunday they were both outstanding. Cooper should've been booked but got away with it but he also prevented it being 1-1, excellent positional play to prevent them from a certain goal. Phillips went over the top with a daft challenge and got away with it. They were mistakes but they didn't get punished for it. I suppose they have a lot to do to win over a lot of fans but if they continue to put in performances like they did on Sun then I will continue with the praise. Yes, Crouch won some headers but he did that in the PL against some of the worlds best, he is 10ft after all!
Thought he was taller than that TBH :lol:
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

PhoenixUnited wrote:I want to reserve judgement on any of the players, new or old, considering that we are just one game into the new season.

The only thing I can say is that IMHO the current squad is still lacking quality and resources in all areas - defence, midfield and attack - and as we near the Thursday transfer deadline to be properly competitive. The likelihood of getting some quality players is rapidly diminishing. Plus the fact that despite all the speculation about who we might be in for the Club is essentially skint although Marcello Bielsa has made it clear that he would welcome some additional players. I think we have all the cards that we are going to get for now

There still remains some possibilities of getting in players on loan until the end of the month and also moving on some of the deadwood.
Is the Thursday deadline for all England leagues or only for PL?