Is the Crucifix a Symbol of Evil?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Is the Crucifix a Symbol of Evil?

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Why do Religious institutions keep on attracting abusers. And then refuse to do anything about it? I can only surmise that they believe themselves to be greater than the God they pray to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10407559

God help the children in 3rd World countries where the law and order wasn't so strong.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Is the Crucifix a Symbol of Evil?

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Why do Religious institutions keep on attracting abusers. And then refuse to do anything about it? I can only surmise that they believe themselves to be greater than the God they pray to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10407559

God help the children in 3rd World countries where the law and order wasn't so strong.
Religion is a form of control. It is abusive by nature. It is political. Personal spirituality is individual. Any belief in a man in the sky is wrong in my book but each to their own.
Deleted User 3289

I'm not sure who its controlling these days tho Sniff. Its certainly a dying art form, technology will take care of the rest. It does fascinate me how a ancient story has kept so many people hooked for so long without any scientific proof.
For me its such a narrow minded view of existence to adhere to Heaven and Hell, its just an extension of yes & no, good vrs bad, right from wrong, black and white. I'd much rather leave a blank canvas where the possibilities are endless.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

It's a crutch for people who need one.
End of.

The bleeding of some of those people for money and faith down the centuries is the biggest con of all time, but there you are. It is what it is.

.. in my opinion, a load of old tosh.
I find people who are believers have a kind of glazed look in their eyes, almost like they've been brainwashed.

I will never understand that.
Never.
Deleted User 3289

I know what you mean regards the glazed eyes. I was out with the dog early morning afew months back when out of nowhere a jehovah's witness came offering his services. Immediately i said instinctively, i look to the politicians for influence, something tangible. Anyway he just looked back at me, smiled "as if i was another lost soul" and walked off.

Serotonin can be a wonderful thing. When i was young, i remember how i felt when i believed that Santa Claus was bringing me everything on my list. :angel:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I wonder if there's a girl out there somewhere called Sarah Tonin ??
Deleted User 3289

Any of our Irish lads hoping to grab a pint of Guinness with the Pope this weekend get there early, he's got alot of questions to answer.

https://news.sky.com/story/ireland-abus ... h-11477823

Steady Sniff.... :D
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Religion is for those who fear hell and spirituality is for those who have been through hell one way or another.

I'm Irish, I have no interest in the pope, Catholicism or any other spin off religions of any kind. They are useful to some and to those who are awake it means very little, I have this argument at least once a week with many factions of Religious people of many denominations here in the city i reside in. It's the most diverse city for religions i have ever come across yet they all live in relative peace with each other.

I am not going to name specific religious factions because we should keep it non aligned to our own dislike against such religions for fear of hurting those who do follow or practice any specific one. I believe in God but its of my own choice, I keep it simple. I don't have any specific name for it i just call it God (Good orderly direction) to me if i follow one type of religion i find its being narrow minded and not open to reality that there is truth in all religions and a lot more blindness within them all too, I'd rather go through life believing that there is something there and finding that there wasn't, rather than go through life believing that there isn't anything there only to find out there was. Keep it simple.

The Bible to me is just a book which was wrote primarily by the roman's to appease the growing tensions of its people who were turning towards Christianity from the traditional roman beliefs. I believe there are some good things in the Bible but there's also good things in the Koran and other religious text books. I remain open minded but certainly not disillusioned about what religion is or isn't to me.

I do like a good argument when i am stopped on the street by certain people who are doing their best to convert me and as I've said i get quiet a few of them trying where i live. They annoy me at times but I also argue my point across and tell them what they are doing is also wrong to believe that their belief that their god is the answer and all others are not.... This is the one thing i despise about all religions to be honest. They all think that just because they believe in a specific religion they have the one true god.

Is the crucifx a symbol of Evil? no its not, to me it helps some people and i am open minded about that. It's just a symbol and a crutch as someone else mentioned.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I don't think the Bible was written by the Romans, CW. The Old Testament is a largely Jewish (and Greek) tract and included even older works relating to Origin Myths and Great Floods etc. The New Testament was written by numerous people and collated at a later date at the Synod of Hippo. In fact, before the Synod of Hippo, the New Testament could have been twice as long. Various "Letters to..." and Gospels were left out because, presumably, they didn't fit with the prevailing view.

Coming back to the crucifix I'm reminded of Bill Hicks' take on it. He said imagine if Jesus came back and he asked if he was remembered. The people would say "You sure are, I've got a necklace with you on it and if we go in to this church there's a huge statue of you". And he was shown all of the images of him suffering on the Cross and He said "You sick f***ers" (or words to that effect). He went on to say imagine if there was a church of JFK and he was remembered by a rifle.
I've not seen that routine for many years so apologies if I've got it a bit wrong but that's the general gist. I suppose I could look it up on You Tube but the language may be too much for people to take if I posted it on here. ;)
Deleted User 3289

Strong moral compass. Once i was lost.... Somewhere in Wales it was. :D

Good effort chaps. Imo comedy is the greatest gift of all, it has the power to bring all people together with a open mind. Talking of closed minds, my thoughts go out to all the people that worked at Charlie Hebdo.

Another peice of light hearted comedy from the great Dave Allen.