Carabao Cuo

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Carabao Cuo

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I know that this should be in the football section but will get more coverage here. Is it worth continuing ? Small crowds, reserve teams & financially just not worth it. I remember 1968 & a Terry Cooper goal gave us our first piece of silverware but is it time to scarp this competition ?
Winner of the Europa League
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Carabao Cuo

Post by ilkley62 »

I'd love to win it again, its only a bit of a distraction early on, when it gets to the business end of the competition the big clubs do take it seriously IMO
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'm actually surprised its still going, maybe when we get back in the EPL we might have a chance of winning it again. Wish i could get 1996 out of my memory though, the final that is!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Daz5 »

No it carnt be scraped .. its a Trophy . theres only 3 to be won each season and this is the most likely for most
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Yes it's worth continuing, have a word with yourselves!
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

It must be a relatively popular competition to us lot on here, there are two separate threads about it anyway :P
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

A lad at work today told me Fleetwood Town made 11 changes in their game against Leicester. I know they were expected to lose, but still takes the piss a bit imo. :wtf:

That can't go on if we are supposed to take the competition seriously can it? Maybe they should think about introducing a minimum quota of 5 first team players.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:... Maybe they should think about introducing a minimum quota of 5 first team players.
I'm pretty certain a similar rule was in place years ago. Clubs just ignored the rule by claiming players were injured. It couldn't be proved otherwise...

The FA Trophy already had the following rule:
"lower-league teams must field a minimum of five first-team players - either the five highest appearance-makers in the team, five players who played the preceding fixture or five who will play in the next league match."

Then this happened:

"Bradford stuck a metaphorical middle finger up at the competition by substituting their goalkeeper Colin Doyle after just three minutes.

Doyle had played in Bradford’s League One match Chesterfield last Saturday so was in the team purely to satisfy the quota and smiled as he was replaced by team-mate Rouven Sattelmaie, who appeared to be laughing at the absurdity of it all.
"I thought he [Doyle] had a poor 45 seconds" Bradford's assistant manager Kenny Black said after the match."
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

The League Cup is now a victim of the over-riding factor in the game, namely money.

Clubs at the top end of the PL see the prospect of CL football as their aim for the season, they will not jepoardise that for the LC, bottom PL clubs view success as retaining PL status and the money that goes with it not winning a trophy, whilst mid table PL clubs have aspirations to join the top group but are worried about dropping into the bottom group so again they will not pay much attention to the LC.

Drop down into the Championship and the picture replicates with clubs wanting to join the PL gravy train, protect their parachute money, add to this the more competitive nature of the Championship and you have more clubs who will take a ride in the LC as far as it goes but will not worry about an exit at any stage.

Clubs in L1 & L2 simply do not have the quality or resources to mount a challenge to even 'reserve' sides of the PL clubs.

Its a shame really as most fans would prefer to win a trophy rather than their club get more money just for survival.

Perhaps it might be better to play it in a short timespan towards the end of the season rather than the begining, then clubs with little to play for in terms of promotion or relegation might take it more seriously.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

No chance of that then KK. I agree with your assessment Zig. I think they should offer the winner the carrot of moving up a division by winning it. Scrap the premiership teams taking part but maybe offer the 3rd bottom club a chance to play the winner for a place to stay in the PL at the end of the season. Same if its league 1, championship ect. I'm sure most PL sides see it as a distraction anyway. With all the riches of the PL it would certainly add the competition it currently lacks and drive up attendances for lower league clubs.

The PL could maybe come up with a opt in shootout type of competition. I know i'm rambling :D but the current format just benefits the best reserve PL squads. Pointless!