Noel Hunt speaks about his time at ER

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Noel Hunt speaks about his time at ER

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Noel Hunt speaks about his time at ER

Post by kk white »

Read that last night. Very good interview.

The standout from a Leeds perspective is:

''...controversial Italian entrepreneur Massimo Cellino took over the club and subsequently criticised Hunt. He publicly rebuked the striker for his performances and erroneously claimed he was earning £25,000 a week.

''During that time, the new owner came in, and all hell broke,” he recalls. 'It became a bit of a farce, he used me as a scapegoat. That was what it was. I’ve nearly really spoken about it, but as far as the club goes, the players that were there, the boys that are still there and the people that are still there — lovely people. They deserve the best, because they work hard. People who have been there for years and years and have gone through everything.

I was not bitter towards Leeds as a football club. I understand as a fan what it’s like. Every club I’ve played for, I’ve been a fan of, I’ve wanted to win desperately. I still get frustrated and it does overboil. It’s part and parcel of the game.

But when [erroneous claims] are made about you through the radio from a chairman because he mixed you up with a different player, it’s just not right, and he never really rectified it either.''
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

kk_white wrote:Read that last night. Very good interview.

''...controversial Italian entrepreneur Massimo Cellino took over the club and subsequently criticised Hunt. He publicly rebuked the striker for his performances and erroneously claimed he was earning £25,000 a week.

''During that time, the new owner came in, and all hell broke,” he recalls. 'It became a bit of a farce, he used me as a scapegoat. That was what it was. I’ve nearly really spoken about it, but as far as the club goes, the players that were there, the boys that are still there and the people that are still there — lovely people. They deserve the best, because they work hard. People who have been there for years and years and have gone through everything.

I was not bitter towards Leeds as a football club. I understand as a fan what it’s like. Every club I’ve played for, I’ve been a fan of, I’ve wanted to win desperately. I still get frustrated and it does overboil. It’s part and parcel of the game.

But when [erroneous claims] are made about you through the radio from a chairman because he mixed you up with a different player, it’s just not right, and he never really rectified it either.''
I know Noel Hunt never worked out for us here at Leeds, but whenever he did play I always remember him running around chasing and harrying people from the front. At the time he was involved with some very ordinary players and he too was an ordinary player in truth. They were all treated like garbage when it came to Cellino. He was a scapegoat but so was Redfearn and McDermott just to mention a few. I always thank the gods that he was bought out by Radz. That was what really saved Leeds United not Bates not GFH Certainly not Cellino but Radz. Cellino was a scam artist with so many mental issues we deserved better and so did our team.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

CorkWhite wrote:Cellino was a scam artist with so many mental issues we deserved better and so did our team.
Spot on.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.
Remember when we'd take anyone but Bates ?? :wtf:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

CorkWhite wrote:
kk_white wrote:Read that last night. Very good interview.

I know Noel Hunt never worked out for us here at Leeds, but whenever he did play I always remember him running around chasing and harrying people from the front. At the time he was involved with some very ordinary players and he too was an ordinary player in truth. They were all treated like garbage when it came to Cellino. He was a scapegoat but so was Redfearn and McDermott just to mention a few. I always thank the gods that he was bought out by Radz. That was what really saved Leeds United not Bates not GFH Certainly not Cellino but Radz. Cellino was a scam artist with so many mental issues we deserved better and so did our team.
Pretty shocking that he still gets abuse and that he & his wife were subject to abuse when NH played for us, that's the sort of atmosphere Cellino and his cronies created at ER. Hunt failed but it wasn't for lack of effort, and a few of us on here regularly defended him TBF as at least he was an honest pro and a decent bloke off the pitch, reportedly.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

CorkWhite wrote:
Pretty shocking that he still gets abuse and that he & his wife were subject to abuse when NH played for us, that's the sort of atmosphere Cellino and his cronies created at ER. Hunt failed but it wasn't for lack of effort, and a few of us on here regularly defended him TBF as at least he was an honest pro and a decent bloke off the pitch, reportedly.
I don't get how some people don't seem to ab able to let go. When players want to leave, or actually leave, or have a terrible time etc., people seem to get on their case and often long afterwards. Life moves on IMHO. Players will come and go but it is football club that will be forever in our hearts.

I have to confess that I am given to a rant every now and then but then it is forgotten about in due course. It is just a game and nobody died!

That said I have never been able to forget about the way Harry Kewell left the club and his antics afterwards. :evil:
Keep The Faith / WAL
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

rigger wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:Cellino was a scam artist with so many mental issues we deserved better and so did our team.
Spot on.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.
Remember when we'd take anyone but Bates ?? :wtf:
Embarrassing for the club - we have been through some pretty low times over the last 15 years