MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 5081

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Thanks SL, for the updating of this thread, Its much appreciated by me personally. I like reading what MB say's even if its long winded..... a bit like myself at times then :D

Keep it up mate. it's an enjoyable read.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Yep cheers, as ever, SL, for posting all this up. :thumbup:
Great reading, MB is a real top dog imho. :clap:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I watch the conferences live, but always come back on here to read SL’s update, so a big thank you from me too.

Someone is going to get the wrath of Bielsa today, don’t think he was very pleased at all that no-one had told him about the O’Kane injury.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
mis
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by mis »

I really like MB now.. I like how he speak and the way he portrait to the press.. Imo, how did we managed to convince him to join us is way beyond my imagination.. I really hope he will stay with us for the longest period

:)
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Bielsa asked why he chose to come to Leeds

"Leeds have similar aspects to Marseille and Bilbao. The link between the city and the team, the fans who are passionate. Lille also had this feature. It was attractive to discover English football from inside. We talk a lot about the relationship between English people and football. It's always a beautiful experience.

Bielsa on who else stood out

"If I had to make an opinion for each player one by one, they all deserve congratulations. I'm not avoiding the answer."

Bielsa on Roberts

"He started pre-season work later than others, he has put in much effort and he's been playing as a right winger because I asked him to but I heard that he liked to play as a no 9. The circumstances offered him a space.
"It was an interesting performance. He is a very young player and I am very happy for him. He deserves it."

Marcelo Bielsa:

"The first half was very good. The second half at the beginning was harder. Then we dominated. Individual performances were important and our offensive game and defensive game were good.
"There are few things to criticise in this game.
"Our team was very dynamic and what we tried to do made us make links between the movement (of players). Players were moving to create space for others and this worked pretty well. We have to underline the good performances of the individuals. Each one was high."
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Bielsa on whether Birmingham will be defensive

"I can't tell you in advance. One of the features of Birmingham is they don't concede many goals."

Bielsa on whether Leeds are exceeding expectations

"A club with such a history as Leeds has to have the hope to go to the Premiership."

Bielsa on Roberts

"When a number nine scores it always gives him confidence. In both games he played he was a link to the box. He didn't score against Millwall but against Preston he scored twice. The important thing is he creates chances to score and then when he scores more goals he will become an important player."

Bielsa on Monk

"He was the head coach of a team that finished 7th. So it's a fact that it is important for any head coach. He was the head coach of several teams so he is experienced."

Bielsa on Birmingham

"It's a team that conceded very few goals. By itself it is a difficulty. The few goals they conceded doesn't correspond with their ranking. So the fact that they concede a few goals means it will be difficult."

Bielsa on importance of home form

"Every time a professional team plays the victory is an obligation. I don't think it would have a special impact if we win."
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Bielsa on injuries

"No, the injured players won't be able to play against Birmingham this weekend."

Bielsa on whether he's been inspired by other sports

"When you watch other sports you make associations with situations. Basketball, hockey and rugby but I don't make any lasting parallels between the two sports."

Bielsa on his tactics getting across

"Apart from the features of our opponents our team was faithful to our style."

Who inspired you to be the football coach you are?

I started as a head coach 35 years ago. I received a lot of influence from Jorge Solari he’s a master for me. I was with him at Newell’s Old Boys.

I collaborated with him, but I also watched a lot of Louis van Gall.

Are you impressed with how your players have understood your methods?

Our team is faithful to some features.

The assimilation of a style is not only a method. More important is the influence of each player regarding his willingness to assimilate new styles.

To convince the player to adopt a new style is more important than the style itself.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Bielsa on squad attitude and application

"Frankly I admire the professionalism of the English player. I'm sure this is not a new thing for English people. You already know that English football players are very serious. Players from Great Britain are very serious. So it stimulates you to work with these kind of players. It's also important to work in ideal conditions because we had a long pre-season. The fact that we had a long period thanks to the World Cup meant we could work and make decisions without being in a hurry. Another thing that is important is that this club has 15 players and the group of 5/6 youngsters and if I had to make an evaluation of them I wouldn't want to change the players I have. Very few teams can say what I am saying. I can tell you that I have 12/13/14/15 players I would not change. And also we have 5/6 players with possibilities so it indicates that this club has a good football health. Broadly speaking the players are young."

It feels like this has taken hold quickly?

I have an advantage and not every head coach has it. During 10 years in my career I worked as a head coach of national teams. And this allows you to develop mechanisms you can transmit to the team in a fast way. Because when you prepare a game with the national team you only have two days and you have one game per month. So not every head coach has to face this kind of situation. And you can’t learn how to serve problems that you don’t face.

So I think I have the advantage of being in situations where you have to make fast solutions. We also have to take into account a pre-season which lasted 7 weeks, that’s a lot of time and we also had one month before the pre-season to analyse the team. And we also had a good basis regarding the players, we didn’t have to bring in many players. All these aspects are advantageous.

Do you want to see more improvements?

You know this is unstable, cyclical. Our performances against Millwall and Middlesbrough were not the same against Preston, Derby and Norwich.

The games versus Millwall and Middlesbrough were tough games for us. That’s why we can;t say that our team is a strong team.

Because we need to do things that we have not done before. It’s long distance run.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Bielsa on statistics

"Actually we have at our disposal more data than what we can work on. We receive a lot. With this kind of data we can build conclusions and reach the idea. At the end of the day head coaches give value to the data that confirms what we saw during the game. We give importance to the data that strengthens our thoughts and opinions on the game. It's good to trust what you see with your own eyes. Even if it is important to recognise when you see mistakes. Being a head coach of footballers it's more linked with taking the right decisions rather than making corrections."

Bielsa on learning English

"It is a priority for me to learn English. What I am going to saw doesn't mean that it isn't necessary to speak English. What I can tell you is that the less you speak the better you are as a head coach because you communicate not through words but actions in training. When you see that the team is assimilating a habit it's not because you talk a lot. It's because you did practical facts."
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Every single thing he says makes sense. None of it is rocket science, just simple honest logic.
What's amazing is that very few others actually do what he does - get the players fitter than ever, pass it simple, keep it and tire out the opposition.
I love that fact about only two points being earned by sides after they've faced us too.

That just proves his methods can work.
The problem is sustaining it all .. Let's hope we can.