Why Leeds United ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Jacko
Terry Venables's car dealer

Re: Why Leeds United ?

Post by Jacko »

Being at school in the centre of Leeds during the late 60s and early 70s. There was no getting away from it. Leeds were the best team in England and quite possibly in Europe at the time. Why wouldn’t you?
DublinLeedsFan
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by DublinLeedsFan »

An eight-year-old Dubliner at the time of making my Leeds United life commitment - I blame Johnny Giles.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" – Samuel Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_FcDYh-CY
bugsmoran
Giddy Kipper

Post by bugsmoran »

I didn't know much about football at the age of ten, but obviously I was wise enough to pick the best team there is. :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Bebpops wrote:I didn't know much about football at the age of ten, but obviously I was wise enough to pick the best team there is. :thumbup:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

Billy Bremner takes delivery of his new Volvo P1800 outside Elland Road. I loved him as a child, attitude 100% !!

A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Macd
Giddy Kipper

Post by Macd »

Hello All...Cause if you cut me I bleed White #MOT
Leeds fan all my life. Irish Born but living in the US. Peter Lorimer was my idol. Love the team of the early 90's. Suffering for way too long but really feeling great about 2018-19
SS6
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by SS6 »

Started following Leeds after watching the European Cup Final in 75 and being blown away by the support. Being from Lancashire didnt bother me. My local teams are Preston and Blackburn and i watched both as a kid as my Dad is Preston and Mum is Blackburn. The wider family are pretty much split between the 2. I just never got the bug watching either team really. My first visit to ER was in the not so good days of 82/83 when i was 14. I stood on the Kop and even though the crowd was only around 14,000 i just knew i had found my home. Never looked back and had season tickets at least 20 seasons since in The Kop, Lowfields and South. The last 5 years in the South. My lad is also Leeds mad and has also had a season ticket the last 5 seasons with me. Plenty of ups and downs but never dull. I turned 50 this year and i still have that bug and hope i never lose it.
Bugsy
Giddy Kipper

Post by Bugsy »

The Chelsea Cup Final, 7 years old, surrounded by Uncles who all supported Chelsea or Spurs, so it had to be Leeds - l liked the idea of being different, and that white kit too...

Favourite player has always been Tony Currie because he was the class player when I first saw Leeds regularly, my first 20 or so Leeds' games were all in London, generally sitting on my hands in those lively 70s days.

My personal highlight was going to Leeds Uni in 1982 and then arranging my own work placement in the (tiny) marketing department at ER. On day 2 my boss asked me if I'd like to go to the away (Mickey Mouse) cup game at Gillingham on the team coach, with Peter Lorimer and all the YTS kids who constituted the 1st XI in those day. And Eddie Gray walked past me in the corridor the day after he'd signed Andy Linnegan and said: "What do you think of the big lad?" Happy days :-)
Grumpy
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Grumpy »

In 1962, as a 20 year old, I left the Yorkshire coal mines and moved to Leeds to join the Leeds City Police. It was the start of the Revie era and being football mad it was logical to follow the local team. At the time I played local football so hadn’t really followed any team because I was always playing on Saturdays (and Sunday mornings). I did get to see a few games with ‘work’ when I was lucky enough to get a ‘special duty’ position inside the ground but being stationed at Dewsbury Road, I was often on the outside on patrolling and traffic duty :roll: Don’t tell the boss, but there was one occasion when I was directed to be outside the ground patrolling Lowfields Road during the game. Unfortunately, hearing to the ooohs and aaahs and cheering was too much for me so, in full uniform I went to the passage way behind the kop, in the corner with the East stand and climbed the 6 foot brick wall and, being careful not to tear my uniform on the rows of barbed wire which ran along the top of the wall, sneaked into the ground. It was, thankfully, much easier to get out just before the game ended when the gates opened and before the ‘boss’ came round looking for me.

These days, having lived in Australia since 1975, I get little chance to see them ‘in the flesh’ but go whenever I’m back in the UK. Luckily I was there for the first game this season when my brother (bless him) got me a ticket in the kop for the Swansea game. Fantastic!!

Apologies for the length of this blurb! :oops:
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

Grumpy wrote:In 1962, as a 20 year old, I left the Yorkshire coal mines and moved to Leeds to join the Leeds City Police. It was the start of the Revie era and being football mad it was logical to follow the local team. At the time I played local football so hadn’t really followed any team because I was always playing on Saturdays (and Sunday mornings). I did get to see a few games with ‘work’ when I was lucky enough to get a ‘special duty’ position inside the ground but being stationed at Dewsbury Road, I was often on the outside on patrolling and traffic duty :roll: Don’t tell the boss, but there was one occasion when I was directed to be outside the ground patrolling Lowfields Road during the game. Unfortunately, hearing to the ooohs and aaahs and cheering was too much for me so, in full uniform I went to the passage way behind the kop, in the corner with the East stand and climbed the 6 foot brick wall and, being careful not to tear my uniform on the rows of barbed wire which ran along the top of the wall, sneaked into the ground. It was, thankfully, much easier to get out just before the game ended when the gates opened and before the ‘boss’ came round looking for me.

These days, having lived in Australia since 1975, I get little chance to see them ‘in the flesh’ but go whenever I’m back in the UK. Luckily I was there for the first game this season when my brother (bless him) got me a ticket in the kop for the Swansea game. Fantastic!!

Apologies for the length of this blurb! :oops:
great story! :clap:
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum