Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Travel

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Here goes here's my 5 favourite countries in no particular order.

Australia just loved the way of life there ( loved the pies anarl :D ) we only saw a fraction as we were based in Cairns. The Atherton Table mountains were beautiful.

Tobago such a beautiful island, the complete opposite of Trinidad which to me resembled Middlesbrough, without the smog

Nepal scenically the most stunning place on the planet. A must visit place &"should be on everyone's bucket list.

USA have now done a few of the states but the diversity is fabulous. I actually like the Yanks & find them friendly & generous.

India as long as you realise you can't change how things are its a fasinating place. The noise is madness but adds to the charm. The food is just out of this world.

Cities

San Francisco great city there's so much to see & to eat seafood on Pier 39 was high on my list & it didn't disappoint.

Cusco there's just a special feel to it full of charm.

Cairns so cosmopolitan, beautiful views, fabulous weather if we had been younger we wouldn't have come back.

Kathmandu luckily we saw everything before the earthquake that destroyed things like Durba Square which was truly awesome & inspiring.

Havana which is the most alive city we've visited. Loved the old American Chevys etc.

Wouldn't want to go back.

Jamaica awful place, never felt safe & were racially abused on a daily basis.
Winner of the Europa League
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I was in Townsville, just down the road from Cairns ( a couple of hundred miles is nothing over there), for 6 months doing a bit of labouring. A pie and a milkshake was my breakfast every morning. I was sorely tempted to overstay my visa.
I agree with you about India too. I was there for a couple of months and the first few days were heartbreaking witnessing the little kids begging. But … you have to get used to it or you'll have to go home. As you say you can't change how things are.
I even agree with you about the Yanks, well New Yorkers. A friendly bunch when they can find the time to slow down enough to have a chat.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Surprisingly enough Ethiopia is a beautiful country we spent 7 days touring the Rift Valley which was stunning but once away from Addis accommodation is very poor. We actually spent Christmas in tents at the Awash Falls, a place anywhere else would have been crawling with tourists but we had the falls all to ourselves. When my wife retired early she was offered a job as a Saga Ambassador & we used to get cheapish holidays as they would do one offs in places like Mozambique, Nepal, Guyana & St Lucia. Guyana was amazing as 98% of Guyanas live in or very close to Georgetown, I did manage to blag my way in the Bourda Cricket Ground. So the interior of Guyana is mainly rainforest but we saw logging areas which was heart breaking. Our transportation was an old Ford truck, which was very uncomfortable. We were driving one day when the truck came to an abrupt halt & our driver asked us to get out but to make no noise & there around 70 yards away was a magnificent Puma, the highlight of our holiday it watched us for a few minutes before disappearing into the forest. Our response was high 5's all round :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Some great places mentioned, hope to get to few of those I've yet to visit.

So far just done North & South America along with much of Europe (Asia will be the next continent I visit or to be more accurate China).

South America I love so far been to Argentina, Uruguay and Chile, all different but enjoyed equally.
Agree with NW Havana is a cracking place (especially if you like Rum), in fact Cuba completely toured from one end to the other. Also add safest country I've been to.

Been to North America lots of times and agree with Sniffer New York is a must visit destination. Been twice in 2005 and earlier this year.
Others I've enjoyed just as much are Chicago, Seattle, San Antonio, San Fran, etc but there are so many.
Done some Road trips over there including Route 66, Yellowstone & Canyons, West Coast & Route 61 (Chicago, St Louis, Memphis & New Orleans).
Vegas needs a mention been a few times but 3 or 4 days is enough, just tagged it on the end of other trips.

Wasn't keen on Los Angeles or Philadelphia.

Europe fav cities are Budapest and Berlin.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NW,
Mrs SW is suggesting Costa Rica sometime next year, can you recommend ?

It would be an organised tour visiting numerous places.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Never fancied China I hear that the food is not something Westerners find unpalatable, has anyone been ? I fancy Thailand, Cambodia & Cambodia. My son in law &"a couple of mates did a tour there last year on Harley's. Japan again not somewhere else overly fussed about.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Never fancied China I hear that the food is not something Westerners find unpalatable, has anyone been ? I fancy Thailand, Cambodia & Cambodia. My son in law &"a couple of mates did a tour there last year on Harley's. Japan again not somewhere else overly fussed about.
Will report back on Chinese Food :sick:

Mrs SW did Cambodia & Vietnam and loved it.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:NW,
Mrs SW is suggesting Costa Rica sometime next year, can you recommend ?

It would be an organised tour visiting numerous places.

Absolutely it's a very safe place accommodation varies but more often than not is very good. The countryside is varied & lush. We did a tour which included a 2 mile walk at Arenal Hanging Bridges where there are 10 ( I think :roll: ) with several that are 'hanging' it was of those things I wished I hadn't done, played havoc with my vertigo. CR is about the same size as Wales but the diversity changes every few hundred yards. The locals love their football & every bar has a game on, wear a Leeds top & you'll make loads of new friends. Sue treated herself to a holiday there & was so taken we both went back. Monteverde & Santa Elena Cloud forest reserves are stunning. So to answer your question yes highly ;)
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Never fancied China I hear that the food is not something Westerners find unpalatable, has anyone been ? I fancy Thailand, Cambodia & Cambodia. My son in law &"a couple of mates did a tour there last year on Harley's. Japan again not somewhere else overly fussed about.
I spent about a week in Beijing with friends I'd made on the Trans-Mongolian. We all drifted off to whatever we'd had planned. I got the train to Guangdong (Canton) in order to go across to Hong Kong. I was travelling there with a Chinese girl who wanted to practice her English on me. She showed we around Guangdong and it was a mix of colonial style buildings and ancient markets. She also bought me breakfast - chicken feet. I tried one but wasn't impressed. :sick: Having said that the rest of the food I had in China was fantastic.
Thailand I absolutely loved. And the food was gorgeous.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Stayed in Beijing with an ex-neighbour's family who were ex pats there in 1998, so obviously they knew the ropes. Food was excellent and had no 'side effects' from it. Saw the Forbidden City, Fragrant Gardens and the Great Wall, all well worthwhile. You're really isolated because nobody hardly speaks English. Even then pollution was quite bad.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....