Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Feed the birds

Post by Sniffer »

johnh wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
johnh wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
johnh wrote:Back in the 1980's, I did some consultancy work for a firm in Bristol. Every day, late afternoon, there were thousands of starlings making fabulous patterns in the sky. Never seen it anywhere else.

I worked at Temple Meads in the 80s, John, and I remember them well. Murmurations aren't they called? You still see them in Bristol but not as often as they seemed to be back then.
Sniffer, the offices for the firm I was working for were opposite Temple Meads station, overlooking the roundabout. Also 1980's - (1986)
I started there in '85 so we may well have passed each other. Bristol has changed a lot since then. The temporary flyover (designed for 8 years but which lasted for over 30) was demolished in the late 90s. I'm guessing you were in Victoria Street/Temple Way/Redcliffe Way. For the last 2 years the roundabout has (very) gradually been scratched out of existence as a new road layout is being built. Driving around there at the moment is tortuous.
Sniffer, I remember the temporary flyover well. I used to drive to Bristol from Maidenhead every day. M4, M32 (past Bristol Rovers old ground) and over the flyover. Can''t remember the names of the streets but the offices actually butted onto the roundabout. One of the office entrances was on the road which crossed the bottom of the entrance to the station. Further to the right was a multi-story car park where I used to park.
I avoided going over the flyover if I could as it just didn't feel safe. Going under it though was like Popeye Doyle chasing the train in the French Connection.

Anyway, back to the birds. Tuppence a bag.
:D
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

We regularly have a couple of hundred Canadian geese landing in the field next to us and they decided to sleep over last night.

Not impressed when during the early hours, for some reason, they suddenly started quacking and woke us up :evil:
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

MOT1964 wrote:We regularly have a couple of hundred Canadian geese landing in the field next to us and they decided to sleep over last night.

Not impressed when during the early hours, for some reason, they suddenly started quacking and woke us up :evil:
:lol: That may have been the local fox dropping by to say hello.
Deleted User 3289

arfa wrote:Have tried to get a pic of a male Blackcap which has visited several times but all have been out of focus - however a female turned up the other day ..

Lovely bird. I'll be knocking on your door to hear the dawn chorus this spring Arfa. ;)
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
MOT1964 wrote:We regularly have a couple of hundred Canadian geese landing in the field next to us and they decided to sleep over last night.

:lol: That may have been the local fox dropping by to say hello.
I think you're right Vid :D
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by arfa »

[quote="Viduka Hits The Mark"

. I'll be knocking on your door to hear the dawn chorus this spring Arfa. ;)[/quote]

I have to keep the window closed to stop the noise of the dawn chorus (there is open ground with trees outside the garden fence), as well as traffic noise and aircraft noise.

A couple more pics - this time a Long-tailed Tit which was just outside the window..

Deleted User 3289

Lovely pics Arfa. Cracking little bird.

Just come back from 2 nights away and don't think i have ever seen as many dead birds of pray at the side of the motorway. Not sure why they should be anywhere near traffic tbh?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Was over at Fairburn Ings couple of days ago and there are so many different birds nesting in the area.

They have put some feeders just outside the café/visitors centre and never seen so many different species, was fun trying to recognise them all (they have photos on the wall to help).

Absolutely beautiful Bull Finch was feeding about 6 foot away from me.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
Absolutely beautiful Bull Finch was feeding about 6 foot away from me.
My dream garden bird, our neighbours have had them on their feeders but sadly we haven't, yet ;)
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Someday I'm going to find a way to get the camera out and take some pictures of some local birds here where i live in the Philippines. I've always been a keen admirer of birds, feeding them etc and this is something I'd like to get more into. I love nature as much as anything (its therapeutic) I am in the city at the moment so when i can get to the countryside i will try taking a few snaps and then i will post them here.