Grandstand

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Grandstand

Post by daib0 »

Grandstand
Here are some notable moments
The BBC sports programme Grandstand was last broadcast in January 2007.

** Foinavon winning the 1967 Grand National at odds of 100/1 following a 23rd fence pile up in which every other horse fell or was remounted – the fence was subsequently named in Foinavon's honour.
** Golfer Tony Jacklin hitting the first live televised hole in one in Britain during the Dunlop Masters on 16 September 1967.
** Gareth Edwards scoring one of the most memorable tries in history, in the Barbariansv All Blacks Rugby Union match at Cardiff Arms Park on 27 January 1973.
** The first known streaker at a major sporting event during an England v France Rugby Union match at Twickenham on 20 April 1974.
** Cambridge sinking in the 1978 University Boat Race and again in 1984, after colliding with a stationary barge.
** A fight breaking out on air between staff in the newsroom behind presenter Des Lynamon 1 April 1989. This was later revealed to be an April Fool's Day joke.
** The Hillsborough football ground disaster on 15 April 1989.
** The Grand National on 3 April 1993 being declared void after two false starts – 30 horses ran the race when their jockeys mistakenly assumed the course officials waving red flags were protesters.
** Roland Ratzenberger & Ayrton Senna's fatal accidents during the San Marino Grand Prixon 30 April & 1 May 1994 (Sunday Grandstand).
** Jockey Frankie Dettori winning all seven races at Ascot on 28 September 1996.
** The evacuation of Aintree Racecourse on 5 April 1997 due to an IRA bomb threat that caused the cancellation of the Grand National (the race took place two days later).
** In the 1970s, Grandstand was famously preceded by the children's programme Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, meaning that only two programmes were regularly scheduled between the hours of 0930 and 1715 every Saturday on BBC1. One edition in the late 1970s saw the first few minutes of a Frank Bough-presented edition coming from the Swap Shop studio. This was because Bough was a guest on Swap Shop that morning and did not have time to get to the Grandstand studio. Similarly, the last programme of the first series of Swap Shop in 1977 included inserts in Grandstand throughout the afternoon.

Your memories of the programme???
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Deleted User 2747

Re: Grandstand

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Makes me think of Saturday afternoon, Black and White TV, Frank Bough, Eddie Wearing, Rugby league and 'up and under', the TelePrompter, East Fife 4 Forfar 5.

Makes me think of simpler times.

I still like to watch the football results on a Saturday.
Last edited by Deleted User 2747 on 04 Feb 2019, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Makes me think of dodgy knitwear and old Frank's alleged peccadilloes ;)
daib0

Post by daib0 »

and who can forget the theme music?!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
daib0

Post by daib0 »

Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

daib0 wrote:and who can forget the theme music?!
No not ever. Grandstand was a big part of youth every Saturday i would sit down with my dad and watch the horse racing because he had a few bets on them. It was a fantastic show for Sport lovers and nearly every wife's pet hate. Final score was where i loved grandstand the most. I used to love the commentator reading out the scores of every team and it was always the full 92 teams and all the Scottish leagues too that were playing in those days not just a few matches like it is today. The commentator would read the full name of the club unlike today where they are read flippantly in my opinion.

Every one was on an equal basis and all kicked off at 3pm sharp, But it was often funny when there was a few late results or match abandoned and other things he had to say, apologies i forget the commentator by name but he was a very professional reader. I used to wait for the times when he would say "Hereford United verses Wigan Athletic.... late result and go back onto reading the other results on the page only to see the Hereford, Wigan result pop up as he was further down the page. Sometimes he would blunder slightly and then read the late result after finishing the full page or at times wait until all the results were read. Just some happy memories of my childhood up until my 30's
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

CorkWhite wrote: Just some happy memories of my childhood up until my 30's

That's am impressive childhood.
When did you hit puberty :26 ??

;)
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

CorkWhite wrote:...Final score was where i loved grandstand the most. I used to love the commentator reading out the scores of every team...
We didn't have BBC until I was in my mid teens, so Sports Stadium on Irish tv (RTE 2) was the highlight of my week.

Getting those final scores was the only access we had until Match of the Day that night (which felt like 3am to me in the late 70/early 80's). Not even a half time score... The excitement scanning the page to see Leeds result.

I would have sworn that Dickie Davies presented Grandstand for a while, but just googled it and now realise it was World of Sport...

Davycc, do you remember BBC Norn Iron cutting off the results half way to go to the Irish League matches? Used to drive us crazy. It felt like Ards played Coleraine every bloody week :lolno:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

kk_white wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:...Final score was where i loved grandstand the most. I used to love the commentator reading out the scores of every team...
We didn't have BBC until I was in my mid teens, so Sports Stadium on Irish tv (RTE 2) was the highlight of my week.

Getting those final scores was the only access we had until Match of the Day that night (which felt like 3am to me in the late 70/early 80's). Not even a half time score... The excitement scanning the page to see Leeds result.

I would have sworn that Dickie Davies presented Grandstand for a while, but just googled it and now realise it was World of Sport...

Davycc, do you remember BBC Norn Iron cutting off the results half way to go to the Irish League matches? Used to drive us crazy. It felt like Ards played Coleraine every bloody week :lolno:
Yeah indeed, used to crack my dad up. Mind you he was usually on World of Sport watching the wrestling
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
daib0

Post by daib0 »

https://www.football365.com/news/the-fu ... v-part-one

A very Interesting article on the PL and telly. The Sky generation comes off quite badly, but I like what's he's saying...