naming the starting 11

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
eastcoastwhite
Terry Venables's car dealer

naming the starting 11

Post by eastcoastwhite »

Hi everybody.

Im sorry if this is a thread somewhere else and I haven't found it, but I was wondering about people on here thoughts are on the fact that name our team at least 48 hours before the game. There seem to be two camps when speaking to others about it, I certainly think it puts us at a disadvantage, and I hope it doesn't happen for the boro game and we surprise them by playing Phillips Bamford and start with Brown. Don't think Pulis would predict that and the fact that he goes defensive could give him a surprise.
Deleted User 728

Re: naming the starting 11

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I know what you mean and do agree that Bielsa can be a bit too honest at times.

I think it would be interesting if he named a starting XI in the presser only to do something completely different on matchday just to throw a spanner in the works and play on our reputation as a club which bends the rules and his for being the spymaster ;)
whitedancer
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by whitedancer »

don't think it helps
but we barely change our line up, unless suspensions or injuries
so our team is easy predict,
and that's why were currently bottom 6 on form since Christmas.
Deleted User 728

whitedancer wrote: and that's why were currently bottom 6 on form since Christmas.
I think there's a bit more to it than that.
Everyone knows how Man City will line up most weeks ..
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

As MB being doing it for most of the season? Or is it in relation to the spygate fiasco? Either way i don't think it makes a difference personally. When 22 men cross the white line, if tactics are not going well its up to the manager/coach to change things during the game. The problem we have had especially over the last 4-6 weeks is the bench has been poor in terms of personnel. I'm all for giving youth a go, i'm sure they can pass and run all day, but when it comes to looking for someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck we lack that type with experience.

And without Bamford, and with Roofe feeding off scraps we don't seem to have another solution upfront.
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

I also think he is too honest at times. Even when talking after a game, he gives a way a lot tactically.

I don't think he should name the starting 11 so early. Even if it is the same as a previous game, then the opposition are still having to guess what it is, and spend time discussing other possibilities. Maybe they do that with or without the starting 11- I don't know.

He must believe that if the players do as he says, then they will succeed, no matter if the opposition know his team in advance.
Deleted User 728

One other thing is the players becoming complacent knowing they're starting.

Football is about marginal gains on the oppo a lot of the time ..
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

He must believe that if the players do as he says, then they will succeed, no matter if the opposition know his team in advance.
You could be right with all the planning and preparation MB does. On the hand we only have 1 recognised experienced striker, and he has been injured most of the season, so we probably have become a little predictable.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

rigger wrote:One other thing is the players becoming complacent knowing they're starting.

Football is about marginal gains on the oppo a lot of the time ..
Or maybe knowing he has confidence in them spurs them on. Especially how the team is bonding, knowing they are starting and who is alongside them hopefully means they know what they can do and where other players will fit in around them. We don't have journeymen along for the ride who that might apply to. You can tell when players not in the matchday squad want to celebrate a win with their team.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Think even when he doesn't announce the team to the world the players will actually know it. Makes sense that those playing are working on tactics in the days building up to the match.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.