The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I don't know or have any interest in knowing Tommy Robinson, but i'm sure he's no Abu Hamza. The point i was trying to make is that if White working class people feel that they are not being listened to by the establishment who is supposed to be protecting them, then people like Robinson will inevitably fill the void. Imo it would be better to give him a fair platform, listen to what racist ideology he spouts, and then most rational people will see through his agenda. I think that's what John Barnes was implying?
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I don't know or have any interest in knowing Tommy Robinson, but i'm sure he's no Abu Hamza. Ok, my forehead is hurting from banging it on the table. Let's start with this one. Explain, in your view, the difference between the two people you've mentioned and then we'll discuss it further.
The point i was trying to make is that if White working class people feel that they are not being listened to by the establishment - Excellent point and I totally agree with you.
… people like Robinson will inevitably fill the void. Not inevitable but, unfortunately, quite likely.
Imo it would be better to give him a fair platform, listen to what racist ideology he spouts, and then most rational people will see through his agenda. If he was Seig Heiling as he goose-stepped down the High Street I would agree with you but he uses social media in such a way that lies and distortion are presented as the truth. Fake News, I believe it's called.
I think that's what John Barnes was implying? No. John Barnes was discussing Neeson's reaction to a friend's rape. Neeson was young and reacted to the news badly. A week later he was thoroughly ashamed of his reaction and has shown remorse. Robinson isn't reacting to anything. It is his philosophy.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:... give him a fair platform, listen to what racist ideology he spouts.
No.
If we know he's a racist then he deserves no such platform.
Ever.
Racism is wrong.
End of discussion.
Deleted User 3289

rigger wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:... give him a fair platform, listen to what racist ideology he spouts.
No.
Ever.
Racism is wrong.
End of discussion
I wish it were that simple Rigs. Its on the rise again all over Europe, and particularly at Football matches it would seem. Imo without open, honest, transparent debate there will be no chance of education.
Deleted User 728

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
rigger wrote:
No.
Ever.
Racism is wrong.
End of discussion
I wish it were that simple Rigs. Its on the rise again all over Europe, and particularly at Football matches it would seem. Imo without open, honest, transparent debate there will be no chance of education.
No.
No debate to be had with racists.
It's wrong.
They know it's wrong.

It isn't about education, it's about what's morally right and they already know what that is.

Public information films would possibly help, showing doctors, nurses, teachers, bosses, colleagues, sports people, coal miners, divers, soldiers, sailors, pilots, mechanics .. all different kinds of people in jobs that make a difference - not bankers or service industry - pushing the message.
It could open with a black nurse holding the hand of someone who's waking up from an operation before handing over to an Asian doctor, all shot from inside the head of the person in the bed. Then following them through their next few days as they go back to their families, their jobs, the school their children attend, all the while reinforcing the glorious multicultural nation we live in .. till finally, the end shot is them sitting down on their bed, turning their head and looking in the mirror to see : a mixed-race woman. A black man. An Asian woman. A white transexual. A white man. etc .. same film, several different endings.
Deleted User 3289

I guess were just on different pages when it comes to approaches, but agree about outcomes. Years ago before social media you could probably get away with not giving space to racists. Now they have a platform online and are undoubtedly infecting peoples minds. Personally i would rather bring people out in the open, challenge there beliefs and let people make informed choices. Some People and children seem to be listening to what people have to say sat behind a computer screen more than they do their parents. Scary really.

Its not just the right that has a problem too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47203397

After many years of films and documentary's about the Holocaust, there was a poll recently (i don't like polls either) that suggested 1 in 20 uk adults are still in denial that it ever happened. Is that due to lack of education?

I agree about morals but with the rise of social media and the peddling of fake news ect, morality could potentially become even more distorted over time.

Anyway rant over what do i know. Quantum Computers is where its at. They have all the answers! Don't they? :angel:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just had a letter from North Yorkshire Police.

Looks like I'll be doing a Speed Awareness Course :cry:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Selby White wrote:Just had a letter from North Yorkshire Police.

I did one myself about a year ago. First time I'd been done for a decade, but you know what ? I really enjoyed it.

I think it depends on who runs it, but the course I attended in Eastleigh was by two coppers, one retired and one still serving, and they used humour for a lot of it which made the day go quicker and also meant you'd remember a lot more than you would imagine going in.

Really interesting day and it confirmed a lot of "the law" for me, things you probably haven't thought about regularly since passing your test however many years ago.
I also found myself driving in a more controlled and FAR more aware way afterwards.

I'd done some advanced driving in the past so I'd like to think I was decent anyway, but the "stick to thirty" thing is something I try and do all the time now. Makes me laugh how it winds up other people too, which is always fun :D

Go in with an open mind, talk to a few people before sitting down and make sure you're with a few decent people and you'll enjoy it :thumbup:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:Just had a letter from North Yorkshire Police.

Back in the 1970's, I was travelling from Lincolnshire to London for a meeting. I had arranged to pick someone up but they were late, making us late for our meeting. It was early morning and not a lot of traffic on the A1 so I was hammering down at over a ton. I had to pull over to let a Porsche past, don't know how fast he was going! Almost immediately after that, I got pulled over by an unmarked police car (3 litre Capri). The conversation with the policeman went as follows:

Fuzz: Going a bit quick weren't we sir.
Me: Did you see the Porsche?
Fuzz: I saw him sir.
Me: Why didn't you go after him?
Fuzz: Let's be realistic sir. Will you settle for 92/94?
Me: Yes please.

Just got a fine, don't think there were penalty points at the time. Never had a penalty point.
I once played against Don Revie.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

In Ireland, 12 points and your'e banned from driving. 6 points and the insurance companies start loading your premium. Realistically, 9 and no-one will insure you. You get 3 points for speeding.

2 years ago when I lost my brother, the wife was driving to my home town for the funeral (I was already there taking care of matters).

She was caught doing 58 mph in a 50 zone on the way down AND the way back.

We don't receive the notice letters for several weeks, so 2 lovely surprises arrived in the post just as we were getting everyday life back in order,

She's paying for it since with insurance.

I have no issues if your caught over the speed limit, but over here, the limits are set by how the road is classified, not by common sense.

That means a Secondary road (which she was on) is 50 mph, regardless of width, how straight and previous accident history.

It also means that some twisty, narrow sections of Primary roads are still 60 mph...

Very annoying and frustrating.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay