Ex-Player/Manager Watch

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Ex-Player/Manager Watch

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Sniffer wrote:Oh Gawd! Dave Hockaday is on the local news commenting on the Swindon v Forest Green Rovers match tonight. What a lucid and intelligent bloke he seems. :roll:
Ah yes! The man that was going to get us back on the football map! How barmy was Massimo Cellino?

Still beggars belief that all that actually happened! :shock: :crazy:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

He was a very Barmy person in all accounts. I think he did try to get the club back on track financially and he gets his due credit for doing so from me, but realistically he also set the team back a few years by the managers he appointed. Radz started off badly during his term since Cellino but has rectified it all by bringing in Bielsa.

By the way Cellino's new club Brechia are top of the Second tier of Italian football so he must be doing something right there.... Hope it goes well for him and us this year and then we meet him in the Champions league or Uefa cup in a few years.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
Sniffer wrote:Oh Gawd! Dave Hockaday is on the local news commenting on the Swindon v Forest Green Rovers match tonight. What a lucid and intelligent bloke he seems. :roll:
Ah yes! The man that was going to get us back on the football map! How barmy was Massimo Cellino?

Still beggars belief that all that actually happened! :shock: :crazy:
It was a devious move by Cellino imo. He was already planning to sack him before he employed him. It was a watermelon too far!
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Cellino treated the club and the supporters with disdain and disrespect, just look at how Thorp Arch went to near rack & ruin. He was nearly as scummy as Bates but not quite, and GFH.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I always said, Cellino got Hockaday because he was cheap. End of.
I once played against Don Revie.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Paul Heckingbottom appointed Hibs manager.
Deleted User 5081

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Paul Heckingbottom appointed Hibs manager.
I hope it goes well for him to be honest. I think he personally made the wrong decision coming to us last year when the team were in a huge downward spiral and he didn't have the experience to get the team out of the mire they were in. Hibs are a good team in Scotland and although they haven't the financial clout that Rangers and Celtic have I believe if he can muster some players of his own into that squad he could do well with them.
Deleted User 5081

Another Northern Soul wrote:Cellino treated the club and the supporters with disdain and disrespect, just look at how Thorp Arch went to near rack & ruin. He was nearly as scummy as Bates but not quite, and GFH.
Agreed 100% ANS and what finances he was taking from the decline of assets he was using to hire and fire managers. Maybe there is some form of tax dodging in relation to it?
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

From the BBC Football website:-

Swansea City manager Graham Potter believes midfielder Matt Grimes has the quality to play in the Premier League.

The 23-year-old was relegated from League One last term while on loan at Northampton where he scored four goals.

Grimes has been arguably Swansea's best player in the Championship having seized his chance following their relegation from the Premier League.

"He is an intelligent footballer who every day does his very best, he is a model professional," said Potter.

"He has been fantastic, from early pre-season he showed the type of character he was, stepping in at left-back, wanting to help and do his bit for the team.

"He didn't get disappointed when he didn't play. He waited for his chance and he has grown and grown as the season has gone on."

Grimes jumped from League Two to the top flight when he joined Swansea from Exeter in January 2015.

"His character is very, very impressive," Potter added.

"He is very level-headed. He can improve further and he is bound to improve because of the personal attributes he has. I am really proud of what he has done and how he is."

When asked if Grimes could get back to the highest level, Potter added: "I think so."

Grimes is set to make his 38th appearance of the season when Swansea go to Championship leaders Norwich on Friday night.

The Swans are seven points adrift of the play-off places with 12 league games remaining, and Potter is eyeing a run of results.

"I think anybody that can consistently win between now and the end of the season will put themselves in a really good position," he added.

"You can move up the table quite quickly and in a big way. It's whether you can get on a run and build some momentum.

"If you're going to pick a time to do it, the time is now."
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Former player Robbie Fowler is one of the favorites for the Brisbane Roar job here in Australia, it will start next season. He played in Australia for North Queensland Fury and Perth Glory.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.