Stat attack - How will it finish ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Stat attack - How will it finish ?

Post by Selby White »

Just doing a little homework on how the division may finish (I know stats don't prove anything but make for debate).

I've based the results on the seasons earlier results against the 8 teams we all have left to play.

Norwich - currently on 78 points and against the teams left to play they beat 7 of them earlier this season only losing to Stoke. Repeat those results and they would walk away with it on 99 points.

Leeds - currently we are on 73 points and of the 8 teams remaining to play we beat 4 of them (Preston, Wigan, Villa & Ipswich) drew with 3 (Millwall, Wednesday & Brentford) and lost to Brum. That would give us another 15 points making a nervy total of 88.

Sheff Utd - currently on 74 points they beat 3 of their remaining opponents (Preston, Millwall & Hull) drew with 3 (Brum, Ipswich & Stoke) but lost to Bristol & Forest. Only 12 points to add making it 86.

West Brom - currently on 67 points beat 5 of their opponents (Millwall, Bristol, Preston, Reading & Rotherham), drew with Brum but lost to Hull & Derby. 16 points to add making it 83.

Of course none of this takes into account the pressures at this stage of the season but I'll take 2nd as we stand.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Stat attack - How will it finish ?

Post by Daz5 »

I think we came up from division 1 , 2nd behind Norwich
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

I really think we’ll get more than 4 wins from the last 8, and Sheff Utd have a few very loseable ties ahead of them...
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Norwich should win their 4 home games (QPR,Reading, Wednesday and Blackburn). Their away games are Middlesbrough so should be win depending on what borough team turns up, Wigan Athletic could be a draw as they play better at home, most likely win at Stoke, then they play Aston Villa on the final day and if Villa are playing for a playoff spot, who knows. So I'd say 20 putting them on 98

Sheff U have a tricky first fixtures against Bristol City and Preston, but then three easy wins against Birmingham City, Millwall, and Nottm Forest. Maybe only a draw at Hull City, but should be a win vs Ipswich Town and probably a win against Stoke City, netting 16-18 to finish on 90-92

Leeds should win 4 home games and the two away games at Birmingham and Ipswich with away games at Preston and Brentford being tricky. So could be anything fro 18-24 points especially with players returning for the final push so 91-97

West Brom will get 18 points at best to finish on 85pts

Unless we have a sudden fall of form then 3rd would be the lowest but we get as don't think West Brom will find the form to be a threat. It looks like a our key injuries are recovering, so we could be at full strength for the final 5-6 matches, and if Sheff-U get anything other than 6 points from the next 2 tricky then we could be back in it - I wouldn't really discount forest raising their game for a derby match too. Norwich do look most likely to stay champions, but who knows :think:

It's all to play for ....
Wigwam
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Wigwam »

Impossible to call. I'd say of the 8 games remaining each team should win at least the following based on the remaining fixtures :-

Norwich 3
Blunts 2
Us 3
WBA 2

Everything else, any result can happen I think, that's why the Championship is what it is, though I can't see Norwich not making top 2. Preston and Brum results will be key for teams in 2nd-4th.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I know we are all down following Saturday but following up this initial post it doesn't look so bad.

Sheff Utd - beat Preston and lost to Bristol which is exactly what they did earlier in the season.

leeds - Beat Millwall lost to Birmingham and that's 2 points better off.

Hence projected points total is now Sheff Utd (as was) "86" and Leeds now two points better off "90".

Yes I know statistics don't mean everything before someone points it out but have got to remind ourselves that Sheff Utd have 4 teams to play that have already taken points of them. None of our 6 opponents have beaten us in the earlier meetings.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Sheff Utd have 4 teams to play that have already taken points of them. None of our 6 opponents have beaten us in the earlier meetings.
I like this :D :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Nic

Post by Nic »

Four games on since the thread was started and 4 games to go

So we have

1st Norwich City -- W2D2L0 -- now on 86
2nd Leeds Utd -- W3D0L1 -- now on 82
3rd Sheffield Utd -- W1D2L1 -- now on 79
4th West Bromwich -- W2D0L2 -- now on 73

So Norwich have lost 4 points from what Selby White and I had put.
Leeds are 4 points better than Selby white put and I got the preston and Birmingham results wrong

So for the final 4 games - will they be as expected or wanting to reevaluate?
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by saintjimmy »

I did one of those results table things on Twitter, think it was for the last 8 games , I was quite harsh with ourselves and went easy with Sheff Utd and we still pipped them 89 points to 88 I think it was .
Nic

Post by Nic »

Norwich could lose more points but 8 from 12 will make them champions, even if just on goal diff if we get the max 12.
Sheff U have some injuries and a ban, so whilst forest should be an easy win they could find Hull harder.

So scores after next 2
Norwich - 90
Leeds - 86
Sh.U 82
WBA 76