Technical help needed!!!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 2747

Technical help needed!!!

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Please does anyone out there know how to edit things on here on a phone???

I have no idea how to select or cut and paste on this thing.
Deleted User 728

Re: Technical help needed!!!

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Generally you keep your finger on the screen over any word, then two little blobs should appear - like fat commas - with one at either end of the word you chose.
You can then drag them along the line or down the screen if you want to copy or cut a section of text.
Drag till you've got the text you want to remove and then lift off - touch once again and a window should appear (like when you right click with a mouse) offering you the choice of options to cut, copy, delete, etc.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Whilst you’re on Rigger, any idea why my phone says ‘not secure - lufctalk.com’ when I log on to the site from my phone ?.

It’s just started doing it recently for some reason.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Can I just add that you should walk into any phone shop for your network and ask to be shown how to do that.
Every single member of staff is paid to explain things like this to customers and it appals me that they're happy to tie people down to a handset for two years knowing full well that the punter will only ever text or call or occasionally use Google/YouTube.
They could do that with the cheapest pay-as-you-go model and most people don't need the latest iPhone/Samsung with a camera stocked with features they'll never use.
Deleted User 728

Barlow Boy wrote:Whilst you’re on Rigger, any idea why my phone says ‘not secure - lufctalk.com’ when I log on to the site from my phone ?.

It says that on my Chrome browser right now.
I'm using a desktop PC and running (the ancient but great) Win7 and all it means is the site's security is bog standard, generic software used by billions of web-pages, as opposed to more secure commercial sites like Amazon, Tesco, Argos, etc, where you'll always see a little padlock in the navigation bar at the top of the screen.

It doesn't matter.
We don't sell anything and you'll never need to enter your credit card details here so don't worry about it.

Obviously, always check whenever you DO plan on spending money on a site you've not used before, but don't give it a second thought in here ..
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Whilst you’re on Rigger, any idea why my phone says ‘not secure - lufctalk.com’ when I log on to the site from my phone ?.

I'm using a desktop PC and running (the ancient but great) Win7 and all it means is the site's security is bog standard, generic software used by billions of web-pages, as opposed to more secure commercial sites like Amazon, Tesco, Argos, etc, where you'll always see a little padlock in the navigation bar at the top of the screen.

It doesn't matter.
We don't sell anything and you'll never need to enter your credit card details here so don't worry about it.

Obviously, always check whenever you DO plan on spending money on a site you've not used before, but don't give it a second thought in here ..
Thanks mate, I don’t understand much of the technical stuff, but ‘don’t give it a second thought in here’ is fine by me.

Thanks again :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

rigger wrote:

It doesn't matter.

I think Google Chrome started doing this not secure on the browser about the time when windows 10 came out. It baffled me at first and most sites were fine but lately it comes up on most websites now. Thanks for the heads up Rigger and it makes sense to me after you explained it in layman's terms :D
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

It means everything is sent across unencrypted. Since its mostly just forum text chats and as stated you are not putting bank details across then its fine. However the only concern is passwords. You should use different passwords for every site anyway but as the password is sent unencrypted over an insecure link, in theory could be vulnerable to capture (a bit like writing it on a postcard and sending it - insecure but as there is billions of pieces of post most likely not get intercepted). To be on the safe side don't use the same password for lufctalk that you use for banking.
Deleted User 2747

rigger wrote:Generally you keep your finger on the screen over any word, then two little blobs should appear - like fat commas - with one at either end of the word you chose.
You can then drag them along the line or down the screen if you want to copy or cut a section of text.
Drag till you've got the text you want to remove and then lift off - touch once again and a window should appear (like when you right click with a mouse) offering you the choice of options to cut, copy, delete, etc.

I know it's a bit delayed, but thanks for your help. I have just about got all of my ducks in a row no regarding computers and phones.
Deleted User 2747

rigger wrote:Can I just add that you should walk into any phone shop for your network and ask to be shown how to do that.
Every single member of staff is paid to explain things like this to customers and it appals me that they're happy to tie people down to a handset for two years knowing full well that the punter will only ever text or call or occasionally use Google/YouTube.
They could do that with the cheapest pay-as-you-go model and most people don't need the latest iPhone/Samsung with a camera stocked with features they'll never use.
Absolutely. I walked out of Carphone Warehouse in B.O.T, as the previous very helpful woman had left to be replaced with two young people that, well lets say, they have a quite bit to learn about customer services. But even so, it is increasingly difficult to get this kind of help in store.