Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Stevie Chalmers who scored Celtic's winner in 1967 dies aged 83:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48091417

RIP.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: The departed

Post by PockWhite »

RIP to Billy McNeill & Stevie Chalmers, I can remember the Lisbon Lions and their amazing achievement in 1967.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Actor Peter Mayhew who plays Chewbacca in the star wars movies has died aged 74, RIP Chewie (and Peter)!

Funnily enough Peter lived in same town as me for a short time, in Keighley West Yorkshire.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Freddie Starr aged 76 found dead in his apartment in Spain.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:Freddie Starr aged 76 found dead in his apartment in Spain.
He once lived at Littlewick Green, Maidenhead which was not far from me. A story did the rounds at the time (probably apocryphal) that a guy was driving past his house when Freddie waved him down and asked could he give him a push. Freddie went back into his garden and the guy got out of his car and followed him. When he got into the garden, he saw Freddie sitting on a swing. RIP.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Doris Day aged 97. I always remember when I was stationed in Singapore (1950's) Que Sera Sera was top of the hit parade, whenever I hear it, if I close my eyes, I am back in Singapore. It is so weird that I feel I am actually there. Just googled it up on Youtube, quite emotional. RIP.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke died aged 89, he was a member of the Labour Party and held the record for that party for the longest term between 1983 to 1991. Brought in Superannuation and Medicare which are still alive today. Loved his cricket and a beer and had his own brewing company.

Famous for saying after Australia beat the USA in the America's cup in 83 that if any boss had a problem with their workers having the day off to celebrate they were "a bum" but in the next line said if they went to work the day after (the day off) they would have to work double their work load.

RIP Bob!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Niki Lauda dies aged 70.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Niki Lauda obituary:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46781936

RIP Niki you and James can enjoy each others company again.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Leeds-born former rugby league coach Maurice Bamford has died, aged 83.

Bamford was one of the most well-known and respected figures in the game and achieved the remarkable feat of coaching its two biggest clubs, Leeds and Wigan as well as the Great Britain Test side.

As a player he had spells with Hull - where he did not break into the first team - and Dewsbury before beginning his coaching career in the amateur game.

In the early 1970s he was appointed assistant at Dewsbury and he then went on to coach a host of professional sides including Leeds from November, 1983 to February, 1985 and then again from December, 1986 to April, 1988.

His first spell at Headingley began with an 18-game unbeaten run which included victory in the 1984 JP Special Trophy final.

After retiring from coaching Bamford began a new career as an author and rugby league match reporter.

His daughter Jane confirmed he died in hospital on Wednesday night.

He had been ill for some time.