Leeds United, First team 2019-20

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
alwaysleeds
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Leeds United, First team 2019-20

Post by alwaysleeds »

Who will leave, who will stay - and who will come?

Goalkeepers:
Kiko Casilla, Will Huffer, Harrison Male, Kamil Miazek, Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

Fullbacks:
Luke Ayling, Laurens de Bock, Lewie Coyle, Leif Davis, Tyler Denton, Barry Douglas, Matty Downing, Robbie Gotts, Bryce Hosannah, Tom Pearce, Joe Stanley.

Centrebacks:
Gaetano Berardi, Oliver Casey, Liam Cooper, Hugo Diaz, Aapo Halme, Pontus Jansson, Liam Kitching, Luke Lyons, Paudie O'Connor, Conor Shaughnessy, Pascal Struijk.

Midfielders:
Vurnon Anita, Quasim Bouy, Mateusz Bogusz, Adam Forshaw, Yosuke Ideguchi, Jack Jenkins, Bobby Kamwa, Mateusz Klich, Alfie McCalmont, Callum Nicell, Eunan O'Kane, Kalvin Phillips, Oriol Rey, Samuel Saiz, Jordan Stevens.

Wingers:
Ezgjan Alioski, Pawel Cibicki, Jack Clarke, Stuart Dallas, Pablo Hernandez, Theo Hudson, Alex Machuca, Stuart McKinstry (new), Clarke Oduor, Hadi Sacko, Jamie Shackleton.

Strikers:
Adrian Balboa, Patrick Bamford, Sam Dalby, Ryan Edmondson, Caleb Ekuban, Jay-Roy Grot, Niall Huggins, Rafa Mujica (new), Tyler Roberts, Kemar Roofe, Oliver Sarkic, Kun Temenuzhkov, Mallik Wilks.
Deleted User 5081

Re: Leeds United, First team 2019-20

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

I think, that there will a few of our so called better players who will leave, Pontus will almost certainly go, and for me if he does i won't be too bothered, this season was a great season for Kalvin Philipps and i would think he has been noticed by many teams, there's a possibility that he could be gone as well as a few of the other talents we have, Clarke, Shackleton Roofe etc.

Let's not forget that Bielsa could also walk away and most Leeds fans will probably be holding their breath to see how that pans out over the next few weeks. I hope he stays and if he does get any money for some players he invests it wisely in players he can mold into this team that don't fall apart but have the will to fight as much as Bielsa would require a player to be.
EastYorkie
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by EastYorkie »

We first need to know whether Bielsa is staying and if he is, then I wonder what he has learnt from this season.

Personally, imo, he over estimated the quality of his squad, under estimated the quality of the opposition and the demands of the season. He has already implied he has reached the absolute limits with the squad as it has been, so he presumably knows, Radz and Orta both know they have to get cracking. I do think Bielsa does need to adapt his style, his plan A, to fit the Championship and hopefully this is part of his thinking for next year and his decision to stay or go.

If Bielsa decides its time for him to move on, then Radz needs a decision from him quickly so we don't waste weeks waiting for a new coach to come in.

A really good sorting out of players is required as the opening post implies. There are a lot of players to move on and undoubtably, we will sell at least a couple of our better players through the need to raise cash or just because they have the option of a PL move.

Whether Radz is prepared to fund all this is another very, very big question which will no doubt have to be answered at the same time.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

Really hope Bielsa stays. This needs to be made offical soon so we can attract players faster.
Club needs to show balls and be united. Need to be straight with us and players with plans. Will Radz and Bielsa stay. After this is out of the way, we can go full into pre season prep.
Most of our core players must stay. We need Phillips, he is the hearth of Bielsa midfield. We cant lose our youngsters now, Clarke and Shackleton must stay.

I really want us to get better out of the loan market. Teams that go up have some very good loanes. Team cant be full of them like Fulham, but some decent players is needed that way.

Not sure about contracts etc, but quick look who to sell from me. We need to hack the deadwood out of our team, not loan them out all the time.

Sell:
de Bock
Jansson - It would be devastating to sell Jansson, but that money can be used for investing and he is done all he can so would not be bothered if he moves league up.
Anita
Bouy - how he has been doing? Could he polster our midfield?
Foreshaw
Klich - not sure on him, he has put in some good effort from time and not sure if we could enough money to repleace him with better player. So rather not sell if no good offer and loan player coming in.
Saiz
Cibicki
Sacko
O Kane
Bamford - Yes he scores decent and has had injuries, but everytime I watch game with him I dont feel confident with him leading the line. Roofies movment is so much better.
Grot
Ekuban
Casilla - Uhh this is not coming from emotion after yesterdays game. But I feel he is pushing our wages too high and if there is decent offer for him we should sell. And would give Farrell a go as nr1. The wage and money can be invested and Farrell is decent enough to be nr1 (probably not popular opinion here)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

It's not a game some of the previous regimes players that are on the books are still with us because nobody will buy them.
Easy to say sell but in lots of cases it's about loaning them until contracts run out.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

There is A LOT of names on that list, so I've tried to split them in 3 groups based on this season: First team players, players that were out on loan & U23s.

First team players 18/19
Goalkeepers:
Kiko Casilla – 19 games
Will Huffer - 2 games
Bailey Peacock-Farrell – 29 games

Fullbacks:
Luke Ayling – 42 games, 2 goals, 6 assists
Leif Davis - 5 games
Barry Douglas – 26 games, 1 assists

Centrebacks:
Gaetano Berardi – 15 games, 1 assists
Liam Cooper – 38 games, 3 goals, 1 assists
Hugo Diaz – 1 game
Aapo Halme - 5 games, 1 goal
Pontus Jansson – 41 games, 3 goals, 1 assists

Midfielders:
Adam Forshaw – 32 games
Mateusz Klich – 50 games, 10 goals, 8 assists
Kalvin Phillips - 46 games, 1 goal, 4 assists
Jamie Shackleton – 24 games, 2 assists

Wingers:
Ezgjan Alioski – 47 games, 7 goals, 5 assists
Jack Clarke – 25 games, 2 goals, 2 assists
Stuart Dallas – 30 games, 4 goals
Pablo Hernandez – 41 games, 12 goals, 12 assists
Samuel Saiz – 21 games, 1 goal, 4 assists

Strikers:
Patrick Bamford – 25 games, 10 goals, 2 assists
Tyler Roberts – 31 games, 3 goals, 6 assists
Kemar Roofe – 34 games, 15 goals, 2 assists

Loan players
Jack Harrison – 42 games, 4 goals, 4 assists
Isiah Brown – 2 games
Lewis Baker – 14 games, 1 assist

Contracts:
According to Transfermarkt following players have only 1 year left at their contract: Kemar Roofe, Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Mateusz Klich, Stuart Dallas, Pablo Hernandez, Gaetano Berardi.
Important to sign new contracts with Klich, Roofe and BPF or sell them this summer (please do not sell Klich!), the other three can leave on a free next summer.

Following players with 2 years left:
Phillips, Shackleton, Clarke, Alioski, Douglas, Cooper, Ayling, O’Kane and Davis.
It’s very important to get Phillips, Shackleton and Clarke on long term deals. Also Alioski, Cooper and Davis should get new contracts. I’m not sure about Douglas and Ayling.

3 years left:
Forshaw, Jansson, Bamford, Roberts and Halme. 

Players out on loan 18/19:
Fullbacks:
Laurens de Bock – 22 games, 2 goals – KV Oostende (Belgium)
Lewie Coyle – 45 games, 4 assists – Fleetwood Town
Tyler Denton – 14 games, 2 assists - Peterborough
Tom Pearce – 14 games, 1 goal – Scunthorpe United

Centrebacks:
Paudie O'Connor – 26 games, 2 goals, 1 assist – Bradford
Conor Shaughnessy – 11 games, 1 assist – Hearts (Scotland)
Liam Kitching – 34 games, 3 goals, 4 assists – Harrogate Town

Midfielders:
Vurnon Anita – 33 games – Willem II (Holland)
Quasim Bouy – 23 games, 1 goal – PEC Zwolle (Holland)
Yosuke Ideguchi – 7 games, 1 goal – Greuter Furth (Germany)
Eunan O'Kane – 4 games – Luton
Samuel Saiz – 11 games, 1 goal – Getafe (Spain)
Oriol Rey – 34 games, 1 goal – UB Conquense (Spain)

Wingers:
Pawel Cibicki – 8 games, 4 goals - Elfsborg (Sweden)
Hadi Sacko – 13 games, 2 goals, 1 assist - Ankaragucu (Turkey)
Alex Machuca – 15 games – Burgos CF (Spain)

Strikers:
Sam Dalby – 2 games – Morecambe FC
Caleb Ekuban – 34 games, 8 goals, 3 assists – Trabzonspor (Turkey)
Jay-Roy Grot – 33 games, 6 goals, 3 assists – VVV Venlo (Holland)
Mallik Wilks – 54 games, 16 goals, 10 assists – Doncaster
Oliver Sarkic – 12 games, 1 goal – Barakaldo CP (Spain)

I don’t really know if there is ANY of these players that deserves a chance with the first team next season. Some of them are young and can be loaned out another season (Dalby, Rey, Kitching, Machucha, Sarkic etc) to get experience and prove themselves worthy of a chance with the first team, most of them we should try to get rid of (but I know it’s hard to get rid of unwanted players).

Mallik Wilks is the one who stands out 16 goals in League 1 is pretty good numbers for a 20 year old. Also Jay-Roy Grot might deserve another shot, even tho I know 6 goals and 3 assists in Eresdivise is not very impressive, but 3 goals and 2 assists came in the last 5 games of the season, so it seems like he’s actually not that bad. He’s also been playing left winger most of the season, and that’s a position where we don’t really have anyone at the moment (with Jack Harrison gone). Maybe Lewie Coyle, Denton/Pearce, Paudie O’Connor and Quasim Bouy could bring something to the table ?

And of course, Samu Saiz – what will we do about him? Is it possible to get him back motivated and fit? Im not sure.

U23-players:
Goalkeepers:
Harrison Male
Kamil Miazek

Fullbacks:
Matty Downing
Robbie Gotts
Bryce Hosannah
Joe Stanley

Centrebacks:
Oliver Casey
Luke Lyons
Pascal Struijk

Midfielders:
Mateusz Bogusz
Jack Jenkins
Bobby Kamwa
Alfie McCalmont
Callum Nicell
Jordan Stevens

Wingers:
Theo Hudson
Stuart McKinstry (new)
Clarke Oduor

Strikers:
Adrian Balboa
Ryan Edmondson
Niall Huggins
Rafa Mujica (new)
Kun Temenuzhkov

To be honest, I don’t know much about these players, but Edmondson, Kun and Bogusz seems like real gems and I hope we will see more of them next year. As far as I’ve heard Miazek and Struijk have been impressive for the U23s. But I’m not sure about Miazeks contract, according to Transfermark it ends 30th of june this year, and I’m not sure if he wants to stay as 4th choice behind Casilla, BPF and Huffer (but at least one of Huffer/BPF should go out on loan if Casilla stays)

---

As said above, the first thing we need to know this summer is wheter Bielsa and his team will stick around and if Radz wants to give them the backing they need. We did finish 3rd this season and we were really close to promotion, so there is not A LOT that needs to be changed to be even better (and thereby to be good enough for promotion).
saihtam

Post by saihtam »

Selby White wrote:It's not a game some of the previous regimes players that are on the books are still with us because nobody will buy them.
Easy to say sell but in lots of cases it's about loaning them until contracts run out.
I understand this ofc. Sell as much as we can. Maybe Bielsa can reasses players who could maybe be some impact under him. I just listed players that should be sold if not then loan out for cutting wages out.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

MUST MUST MUST KEEP:
Bielsa.

First team players we must retain:
Peacock-Farrell, Ayling, Cooper, Roofe, Alioski, Roberts, Dallas, Hernandez, Phillips, Klich, Shackleton, Clarke, Wilks.

Those I am less fazed over:
Douglas, Forshaw, Bamford, Jansson (out of him, Roofe, and Phillips, I think that he is the player I'd be least concerned about losing), Pearce, Berardi, Casilla.

Those to definitely sell or loan:
O'Kane, Saiz, Shaughnessy, Sacko, Coyle, Cibicki, O'Connor, De Bock, Denton, Anita, Bouy, Ideguchi, Grot, Ekuban.

The rest are U23s who can be loaned or retained.

Needed:
CB/DM, CB (if Jansson leaves), AM, LW, CF (may depend on Bamford leaving). Those in the not fazed category would also warrant replacements, though some could be replaced with U23s.

GK: Casilla, Peacock-Farrell
RB: Ayling, Dallas
CB: Jansson/New, New
CB: Cooper, Struijk
LB: Alioski, Douglas/Pearce/Davis
DM: Phillips, New (same as 3rd choice CB)
CM: Klich, Forshaw
AM: New, Shackleton
RW: Hernandez, Clarke, Wilks
LW: New, Roberts
CF: Roofe, New/Bamford

Going to say:
CB/DM - Semi Ajayi (Rotherham)
Jansson replacement: Michael Hector (Chelsea)
AM: Luke Freeman (QPR)
LW: Ryan Kent (Liverpool)
CF: Oliver McBurnie (Swansea)

Think Wilks could be a real option out wide or even up top though. Reminds me a little bit of Andre Gray.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

I'd like to see Wilks given a chance. I think he deserves it and I think he'd score more than Roberts.

Ball playing CB, winger, Franchu - number 10 at Real Madrid Castilla ooc would be a good support for Pablo, Andre-Pierre Gignac - scores where ever he's been, currently top scorer in Mexico. Had his best season under Bielsa when he was at Marseille and he would bully Championship defenders.
saihtam

Post by saihtam »

SG90 wrote:I'd like to see Wilks given a chance. I think he deserves it and I think he'd score more than Roberts.

Ball playing CB, winger, Franchu - number 10 at Real Madrid Castilla ooc would be a good support for Pablo, Andre-Pierre Gignac - scores where ever he's been, currently top scorer in Mexico. Had his best season under Bielsa when he was at Marseille and he would bully Championship defenders.
Why Wilks over Temenuzhkov?