Bielsa Stay or Go

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Will Marcelo be here at the start of next season

Poll ended at 23 May 2019, 15:26

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 76

SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Bielsa Stay or Go

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

From the BBC football website:-

Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa will "listen to proposals" for him to stay at the club after a "painful" play-off semi-final defeat by Derby.

The Argentine's side lost 4-2 in the second leg at Elland Road, a 4-3 defeat on aggregate.

Following the loss, Bielsa said: "If the club offers me the possibility to carry on I will listen to this proposal.

"It's a painful situation and we're all disappointed," he added.

Why Leeds have been left crying their heart out

Leeds took the lead on an eventful night, which saw both sides reduced to 10 men.

Derby equalised, before taking the lead on the night after half-time and in the tie with a penalty just before the hour.

Leeds brought the aggregate scores level again before substitute Jack Marriott became the hero for Frank Lampard's side with a composed finish in the 85th minute to seal a trip to Wembley to face Aston Villa.

For Leeds, who finished third in the table, defeat means their spell outside the top flight will stretch to a 16th year.

But Bielsa had no complaints about his players throughout the campaign, saying: "What they have offered to the club during this season will be valued with time.

"The fact that we couldn't reach goals that were so close leaves a feeling of disappointment, but you can have another perspective about it."
Bielsa's debut season in England

It has been an eventful first season managing in England for Bielsa, as the Whites spent most of the campaign in the top two before a late-season slump meant they had to settle for a place in the play-offs.

Before the two-legged tie with Derby, he had said he would not speculate on his future: "I would never say that if we stayed in the Championship I won't stay here, otherwise you say the importance of this club is linked to the division in which it plays."

Bielsa, who signed an initial two-year deal when he joined Leeds last summer, revealed earlier in May that he personally paid Leeds' £200,000 fine for spying on Championship opponents.

The EFL punished Leeds in February after a member of United's staff was seen outside Derby's training ground.

The former Argentina and Chile manager, 63, subsequently admitted he had sent someone to watch training sessions of every team they had played this season.

Then, in their league match against Villa in April, Leeds allowed their opponents to walk in an equaliser unopposed after the home side scored while a Villa player was down injured.

Bielsa also accepted that Leeds striker Patrick Bamford was correctly suspended for "successfully deceiving a match official" in the melee that followed the controversial goal, with Villa's Anwar El Ghazi later having his red card for violent conduct rescinded.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Phil Hay reporting that MB is basically on a one year rolling contract that he can re-new or walk away from at the end of each season.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Hope you don't mind SL but have added a poll to your thread.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

No Problems SW.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Personally think he will stay as believe he came with a two year plan.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

We MUST convince MB to stay and give him the funds to add some quality to the squad. If he walks away then I can see players leaving. If he walks away we will be in the Championship for the foreseeable and we'll have no chance of getting promoted to the PL, IMO. If MB stays it will certainly lift the spirits of all of us Leeds fans over the summer.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

He will want assurances abut new signings, otherwise he will go. So if ifs, sell a player to PL and but 3 unknown players and a few loans he'll walk as the feeling he's not being backed.
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by saintjimmy »

Hope he stays and I hope it’s all sorted within the next few days , would like to think the club are on the ball as Brighton were the year they lost the playoff final , meeting next day to set their stall out and went up the next season, don’t want anything dragging on .
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I will be extremely hacked off if Bielsa ISN'T here next season. I've no reason to think he won't and it was only a couple of weeks ago that everyone seemed to be indicating he would remain as boss regardless of how the season finished (even though it's finished disastrously)
mattant250
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by mattant250 »

For me, this is very clear. Bielsa has put the ball very directly in Leeds' court. If we back him, if we invest, if we give him the funds, he'll stay.

If Bielsa is not here at the start of the season, it's because the club are not prepared to invest sufficiently, and do not have the same ambition that we, the fans, have.

I'm sorry to say that this is the tipping point for me. We must convince him to stay and for that we need to do whatever it takes. If we fail to do that, my hopes for promotion are not high, and, as much as it pains me to say it, I will find it very difficult to continue on this continuous cycle of progress --> fall short --> change manager --> start again.

Now is our time. Next season we can win the league. But we need two things: Bielsa and investment.
MARCHING ON TOGETHER