Bielsa Stay or Go

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Will Marcelo be here at the start of next season

Poll ended at 23 May 2019, 15:26

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 76

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Post by Selby White »

Nic wrote:He will want assurances abut new signings, otherwise he will go. So if ifs, sell a player to PL and but 3 unknown players and a few loans he'll walk as the feeling he's not being backed.
I don't believe its as many players as some are suggesting, lets not forget we finished third so the squad needs tweaking not a total overhaul. We all know MB likes a small squad of players, he believes in togetherness and team spirit. He'll know what he wants and hope thats what we get.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:He will want assurances abut new signings, otherwise he will go. So if ifs, sell a player to PL and but 3 unknown players and a few loans he'll walk as the feeling he's not being backed.
I don't believe its as many players as some are suggesting, lets not forget we finished third so the squad needs tweaking not a total overhaul. We all know MB likes a small squad of players, he believes in togetherness and team spirit. He'll know what he wants and hope thats what we get.
I agree, but its also ones of high enough quality to be better than what we have already. When he came, players went out on loan he didn't think fit and at previous clubs he's sent new signings straight out on loan.

It is one of those things where if he gets the support, and it will be a small number of players, he'll stay. People are bandying around figures from half to a complete squad - then again don't they always :crazy:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Nic wrote:
Selby White wrote:
I agree, but its also ones of high enough quality to be better than what we have already. When he came, players went out on loan he didn't think fit and at previous clubs he's sent new signings straight out on loan.

It is one of those things where if he gets the support, and it will be a small number of players, he'll stay. People are bandying around figures from half to a complete squad - then again don't they always :crazy:
To me it's a couple of players that can break down packed defences. We didn't go up primarily because we didn't have a good record against lower teams.
Against teams in the top 8 we more than held our own.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:
Selby White wrote:

To me it's a couple of players that can break down packed defences. We didn't go up primarily because we didn't have a good record against lower teams.
Against teams in the top 8 we more than held our own.
Bielsa has mentioned the number of attempts it takes us to score goals, and also when talking about Man City and how they have broken down packed defences because of quality players they have.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

I'm not convinced we are as close to having the right calibre squad as some are thinking, i'm seeing a squad that finished mid table over the last half season & were getting worse as the season progressed (not viewing it as 3rd over the full season)
I think we need a number of quality players maybe 4 who have the ability & mental strength to flourish with us.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

No, I have to disagree - it's five or six players across the squad and this means Bielsa has learnt how hard the division is.
There must be at least one more player for each section of the pitch - a centre-back, a full-back, a central midfielder, a winger/attacking midfielder and a striker. Some of these can overlap in terms of covering more than one role - Shaughnessy as DC or DMC, for example - but we need numbers more than anything to avoid the dreaded Bielsa Burnout.

They can be kids who play more often - Shack, Clarke - or others stepping up - Edmondson, Davis - but I would like to see a new spine of experienced pro's coming in : another commanding DC, a proper MC, a consistent winger/AMC and an out-and-out striker/poacher.
Some have mentioned Gayle for that role and he'd be fine, so that kind of level of signing ..

Bielsa's methods will NEVER bear fruit unless he gets it into his head that he needs more players for it be effective.
Nic

Post by Nic »

It seems at the end of the last few seasons many have said we need 5 or 6 signings, but is it any more plausible now than those times? Also will MB say he needs six or stick to simply replacing like for like as long as its improving the first 11. Will there be funds for that many?
thevicar
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by thevicar »

Bielsa has said more than once that the current crop of players could not repeat this year's performance which seems to indicate he is very aware of their limitations. But he will not compromise his style of keeping a small squad and players having to win their places back after injury / suspension. i believe he'll want 3-4 quality players, in particular, those that can convert chances into goals. i trust his judgement and he'll have learned a lot from this season....hopefully he has a cure for this sick feeling in my stomach i cannot shift!
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by judy »

We all feel sick at the moment. Unfortunately it’s an all too familiar feeling for Leeds fans. We thought this season was going to be different which makes this sick feeling even more hard to bare.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Stay! Plus i want to see him here in Oz in July with his team.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.