Bielsa Stay or Go

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Will Marcelo be here at the start of next season

Poll ended at 23 May 2019, 15:26

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 76

Deleted User 5081

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Last summer we got to see what many of us were hoping for, a culling of the deadwood which in itself can really affect a squad if you have too many players. Bielsa seen this before he joined us and took action on it. He got rid of many fringe players, other players he knew wouldn't have the stamina he needed, and basically some other players who were simply no where near national league standard that we took on through various other managers and coaches. In doing this he shaped the remaining players into a system that they could become more organized and play a better way.

Personally, using hindsight i believe he probably either let go of too many players or didn't bring in enough to cover those areas we needed at times due to the injuries which in truth racked up quiet a lot during the season. I still don't believe all the injuries caused our downfall but they certainly contributed due to not having as much cover in areas at times.

I believe he will trim the squad further this summer and I am hopeful that he will have a far better knowledge of the league and how British teams play. He will need to get in about 5-6 quality signings but this depends on what he sells as much as how much Radz has to give him and what they discuss or agree on when they do talk about what Bielsa wants to do. I hope he stays and builds a better team for all our sakes.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I do find it fascinating wondering who he'll let go.

Presumably he's not too proud to admit some players may not have been up to playing his way, while others may simply not have the legs anymore.

I'm guessing that he wants players fit enough to finish a campaign so we may let Pablo go, while Berardi may a victim of his own indiscipline and fitness issues despite some good performances when he was available.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

I'm hoping we will get confirmation he will stay. There can be no doubt that he has brought an exciting ethos to.the club with limited resources. If he does stay I just hope he gets adequate backing.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

I was told he was seen buying a Volkswagen Golf last week which kind of suggests he's staying. I think a lot will depend on how we start next season; if we start well he will stay but if we have a bad run early doors Inthink he may walk. He has certainly improved things beyond belief and it has been great, even if ultimately we didn't end the season as we all wanted.

If we are competing next year, it will mean a full stadium and some entertaining games; looking forward to it already.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

phil62 wrote:I was told he was seen buying a Volkswagen Golf last week which kind of suggests he's staying. I think a lot will depend on how we start next season; if we start well he will stay but if we have a bad run early doors Inthink he may walk. He has certainly improved things beyond belief and it has been great, even if ultimately we didn't end the season as we all wanted.

If we are competing next year, it will mean a full stadium and some entertaining games; looking forward to it already.
There is also photo's on twitter of him at a business lunch with Orta, possibly discussing potential signings?

Bielsa is on £3M so buying a VW car means he's staying as much as me buying a £180 tent in Reading would mean I was aiming to stay after the festival :twisted:

Marcelo Bielsa funded a Christmas lottery for staff at the training ground, and the top prize was a £11,000 car, so with the Golf maybe he is doing something similar?
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

He will stay if Radz gets his wallet out. He needs to buy into the concept of losing £39m over 3 seasons, or he will never get the £200m prize. If that’s the case Maybe he should consider punting the club to his Qatari mates.

We need a striker, a winger, a number 10, centre back, possibly left back and keeper. Maybe one of those will emerge from the academy, regardless a player of the calibre of Dan James/ Ryan Kent; Dwight Galé / Ched Adams is required along with a Saiz replacement. It is also essential the like of Philips, Shackleton and Clarke are retained.

If Bielsa goes then I’m pretty sure it will be down to funding, and we will be back to square 1.
Nic

Post by Nic »

isrodger wrote:He will stay if Radz gets his wallet out. He needs to buy into the concept of losing £39m over 3 seasons, or he will never get the £200m prize. If that’s the case Maybe he should consider punting the club to his Qatari mates.

We need a striker, a winger, a number 10, centre back, possibly left back and keeper. Maybe one of those will emerge from the academy, regardless a player of the calibre of Dan James/ Ryan Kent; Dwight Galé / Ched Adams is required along with a Saiz replacement. It is also essential the like of Philips, Shackleton and Clarke are retained.

If Bielsa goes then I’m pretty sure it will be down to funding, and we will be back to square 1.
We spent £9M on a striker last time and he was injured, so how much would we need to spend on the 5/6 you are thinking. £39M over 3 years, so just £13M this year or £39M this year and nothing the following if we don't go up.

Spending doesn't always work

Wednesday spent lots previously - I remember over previous seasons, like the Cellino/GFH years that many compared how little we spent to what Wednesday spent. They had a transfer embargo last year and there was warning of another this year https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yo ... er-embargo

True some big spending clubs do go up and looking at what clubs reported for 2015/6 season we can see some of the big spenders now in PL
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... tgalleries
But not all, with Leeds posting a £17M loss that year look at a few others

Burnley £0.4M loss now in PL
Wolves £4M loss in PL
Ipswich £87M loss relegated to L1 this season
Middlesbrough £99M loss still in championship
Blackburn £104M loss still in championship
MOT1964

Post by MOT1964 »

Phil Hay
@PhilHayYEP

More talks between Leeds and Bielsa due this week but mounting confidence that he'll stay. Sources close to him convinced that he's ready to take on a second season
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

From another Hay interview

4) What needs to change? .... for him to stay...

“The transfer policy.

“On the pitch, everything worked perfectly. Towards the end of the season, however, the lack of depth and quality in the final third really cost them dearly.

“Both Bielsa and the board need to decide on their targets and ensure they get them.

“Another Dan James situation simply cannot happen.”
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

isrodger wrote:He will stay if Radz gets his wallet out. He needs to buy into the concept of losing £39m over 3 seasons, or he will never get the £200m prize. If that’s the case Maybe he should consider punting the club to his Qatari mates.

Most clubs in this league are in financial chaos and are unable to spend otherwise they will hit ffp. We're in the strongest position, as we haven't relied on loans unlike the other playoff contenders. We don't need to spend £50m. We've got the nucleus here already, just 3/4 more. Without the worst injury luck in years, we'd have gone up comfortably.

Imo, what we require is genuine pace. Bielsa's Marseille team for example were loaded with pace to break away. Apart from Shackleton, we don't seem to have outright pace in the team. That was one of the things Saiz used to bring to the team and we suffered for it since he left. The club wanting James, showed we were interested in pace. If we had got Barnes on loan instead of WBA, we'd have won the league comfortably.