2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Wigan White »

SG90 wrote:Ekuban sold for £2m and Saiz wanted by Valencia for £5.5m. We could probably get fees for Sacko, Cibicki, Anita, Pearce, Coyle, Denton, De Bock, Grot, Ideguchi too. We could be looking at £10-12m before even selling a key player.
Plus, we must have had £10m available for the Dan James transfer that didn't happen.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

SG90 wrote:Ekuban sold for £2m and Saiz wanted by Valencia for £5.5m. We could probably get fees for Sacko, Cibicki, Anita, Pearce, Coyle, Denton, De Bock, Grot, Ideguchi too. We could be looking at £10-12m before even selling a key player.
How has been Ideguchi loan spell? I remember him being decent guy just language problems.

Should we go after Fer or he is PL destined?
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -routledge
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

Reports that Bournemouth are to make a £15m offer for Phillips. Feels like that would not be enough to me given future potential.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

blackbox2342 wrote:Reports that Bournemouth are to make a £15m offer for Phillips. Feels like that would not be enough to me given future potential.
If true I think he'd be mad to go. He's been brilliant this season now that he's been used correctly, and has surprised quite a few Leeds fans (me included) with the improvement in his quality on the ball and decision making. He was always a good battler but he's a more all round player now. That said, he's had one good season, and he needs to have another at this level before he's ready for the step up if you ask me. IMO Lewis Cook went too soon and that has not worked out well for him. I honestly think Philips will want to stay because he'll know it's better for him long term. And there's every chance he'll go up with us....

Speculation might be a good thing though - it could force the club to rush its talks with Bielsa and secure him quickly, because the likes of Philips and Jannson (the two most likely to be in demand) will be much more inclined to stay if they know he is.
phil62

Post by phil62 »

Phillips should have been player of the season but we are relying on his loyalty. Bielsa has transformed him into an excellent player who plays within his means. If he did go to a PL club I think he would be in the England squad next season, so the temptation is there. Fortunately, he is a Leeds fan through and through and that gives me hope he will stay. Wish he'd sort his bloody hair out though - inviting the pineapple comparison!
Last year I would have sold him, but he has been superb this year and is central to Bielsa's plans in my opinion.
If he was sold it would have to be a big fee and maybe we could buy a couple of good players with that, but I'd rather ditch Roofe, even Hernandez first; the former is not good enough, the latter, great but on the wain.

Also amazed that people are saying Bamford should go. If he's fit, he will get 30 goals next season. He is our best striker and I predict he will flourish next year - both Beckford and Becchio took a while, but came good in the end. Confidence in him is required.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
phil62

Post by phil62 »

Shame we missed out on Vincent Kompany though - would have had him in a heartbeat.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

blackbox2342 wrote:Reports that Bournemouth are to make a £15m offer for Phillips. Feels like that would not be enough to me given future potential.
Considering they just spent £13m on Bristol City's second choice left back, it would have to be minimum £20m for me.

Unpopular opinion, but if we got £20m to reinvest it into the squad, I wouldn't be unhappy. His improvement this year was down to Bielsa. No reason why he couldn't do the same for Rey, Diaz or McCalmont.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

phil62 wrote:Also amazed that people are saying Bamford should go. If he's fit, he will get 30 goals next season. He is our best striker and I predict he will flourish next year - both Beckford and Becchio took a while, but came good in the end. Confidence in him is required.
Two words: Chris Wood.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

phil62 wrote:Shame we missed out on Vincent Kompany though - would have had him in a heartbeat.
I think you're overstating things saying we "missed out", mate :lol:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

SG90 wrote:
phil62 wrote:Also amazed that people are saying Bamford should go. If he's fit, he will get 30 goals next season. He is our best striker and I predict he will flourish next year - both Beckford and Becchio took a while, but came good in the end. Confidence in him is required.
Two words: Chris Wood.
I know what you're saying but I just can't see it with BamBam.

I was in full support of him a couple of months back but now I just don't think he's up to it.
He looks so .. I don't know how to describe it, really .. wishy-washy.
He's got the talent, the touch, the brain, the movement but only in fits and starts.

Actually, I know how to describe it : he's like 95% of wingers in that he's brilliant on his day but most of the time he drives you mad because he either looks disinterested or on a different wavelength to his team-mates.

Is he nasty enough ?
Is he hungry enough ?
Is he thinking about that damned cello ??