2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by Daz5 »

Beyond our budget agreed !! . Makes a change to be linked with high profile players though !
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

MOT1964 wrote: Radrizzani cut to the chase by talking of “a difficult summer in terms of the transfer market” and it is likely to be one of those; a balancing act at a club who pay close attention to the numbers, while hoping Bielsa can turn third place in the Championship into second or first.
So looks like another disappointing summer then :thumbdown:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Nic wrote:
MOT1964 wrote: Radrizzani cut to the chase by talking of “a difficult summer in terms of the transfer market” and it is likely to be one of those; a balancing act at a club who pay close attention to the numbers, while hoping Bielsa can turn third place in the Championship into second or first.

Not for me just yet but will judge in August.

For me a successful summer will not be based on who we buy but who we keep.
If Phillips, Clarke, Shackleton, Hernandez, Jansson, Ayling, Alioski, Douglas, Cooper, Roberts, Roofe, Peacock-Farrell, etc are still with us I'll be happy.

Not wrote Bamford off just yet, would like to see how he does with a good pre-season and a run without injury.
Bit the same with Roberts to be honest, think its overlooked he is still only 20 and had some serious injuries. A good summer and run keeping fit and he could be quality.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:

Not for me just yet but will judge in August.

For me a successful summer will not be based on who we buy but who we keep.
If Phillips, Clarke, Shackleton, Hernandez, Jansson, Ayling, Alioski, Douglas, Cooper, Roberts, Roofe, Peacock-Farrell, etc are still with us I'll be happy.

Not wrote Bamford off just yet, would like to see how he does with a good pre-season and a run without injury.
Bit the same with Roberts to be honest, think its overlooked he is still only 20 and had some serious injuries. A good summer and run keeping fit and he could be quality.
Isn't that the problem though, Selbs? They have injuries every season. Decent squad players when fit but not good enough to start in the first team.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

IMO I cant see us finishing top 2 keeping the exact same squad so selling one or 2 of our most saleable assets is only going to make us weaker, would love us to add 3 to the (first 18) squad but I know we have to balance the books so its probably unlikely.
Nic

Post by Nic »

ilkley62 wrote:IMO I cant see us finishing top 2 keeping the exact same squad so selling one or 2 of our most saleable assets is only going to make us weaker, would love us to add 3 to the (first 18) squad but I know we have to balance the books so its probably unlikely.
Who would have expected us to stay in top 4 all season this time last year? We could sell 1 or 2 player, buy 3 or so that will excel under Bielsa and a few U23 who will make the step up. However aiming to get top 2 on a shoestring is not what most fans want to gamble on, but unfortunately it will probably be that way. Lets just hope Bielsa is now more aware how physical the championship is and how likely injuries are and aim for a bigger squad to cope with injuries.

Of course it could all be to lower expectations and we make a couple of crucial signings. Wonder if there will be any big signings by June, only by end of July, or not until August....
TezzaWazzaBazza
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

We need to add genuine quality to be contenders, not put our faith in players we're unsure of. Young players may need more time to adapt, which is fine over a longer term, but we really missed Saiz, and a good, consistent winger.
Nic

Post by Nic »

TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:We need to add genuine quality to be contenders, not put our faith in players we're unsure of. Young players may need more time to adapt, which is fine over a longer term, but we really missed Saiz, and a good, consistent winger.
Norwich got Pukki on a free transfer as a gamble, so sometimes they pay off.
Personally think we just need a few players and sell on many that won't get into the top 18. If Bamford gets a full pre-season and stays fit we should see a big difference next season, but another striker who will convert chances to increase our conversion rate will add the depth we need. A winger with pace is also what Bielsa will be looking for, one reason why he went after James is we need to bolster that area.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Nic wrote:
TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:We need to add genuine quality to be contenders, not put our faith in players we're unsure of. Young players may need more time to adapt, which is fine over a longer term, but we really missed Saiz, and a good, consistent winger.
Personally think we just need a few players and sell on many that won't get into the top 18. If Bamford gets a full pre-season and stays fit we should see a big difference next season, but another striker who will convert chances to increase our conversion rate will add the depth we need. A winger with pace is also what Bielsa will be looking for, one reason why he went after James is we need to bolster that area.
I agree, however, why does PB need a pre-season to be fit? Surely he was fit enough when he had a run of games? IMO, he's not suitable to our style and tbh he comes across as lazy.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

DominanceUK wrote:
Nic wrote:
I agree, however, why does PB need a pre-season to be fit? Surely he was fit enough when he had a run of games? IMO, he's not suitable to our style and tbh he comes across as lazy.
Many footballers have said that having a good pre season is vital to having a good season. Also, Bamford came into the team at the business end of the season and was thrown in after 5 months out. It was always going to be a difficult period to get up to speed.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."