2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by DominanceUK »

All ifs and buts atm but I wouldn't be impressed if we sold Phillips. Yeah, so we can re-invest the money into the squad but it's a gamble and a massive one imo, to try and fill KP's boots. There's no direct replacement within the squad for him. Forshaw can play there but isn't as good as KP and is injured too often for my liking. I understand that every player has a price and some players want to play at a ''higher'' level but I can't imagine KP wanting to go to the PL without it being with Leeds, unless it was to a team within the top6. The only saving grace for me is that if KP we're to be sold then it would be with the wishes of Bielsa and that's something I can't see happening as KP is such a pivotal part of the team's set-up.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote:lansdown .... funds the club to the tune of £10-£12m per annum.
So not the full £30m you're suggesting Radz should provide ??

Like I said, he plays the long game and I'd prefer us to do the same.
I think any owner of a championship club should be prepared to support the club to the maximum of £39m over 3 seasons, circa £13m per season. That would put us on a broadly similar footing to say Huddersfield this season given our revenue ex TV is circa £45m and theirs is £10m. It is only the same level of support Derby, Boro, Bristol City, Huddersfield etc have enjoyed each year. Clearly Leicster, Wolves and Villa took it to a different level.
DominanceUK

Post by DominanceUK »

rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote: ... not putting our money where our mouth is most visible with James ...

Please, not again!!

I understand your point isr. I was actually one of those that said we didn't need to recruit in January and that I believed we had enough quality within the squad to get promotion. I was wrong, although if we had bought James I still don't think we would've got promotion. We created chances galore match in, match out but we couldn't convert those chances and ultimately that was where the problem was. I guess we'll never know :(
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

isrodger wrote:
rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote:lansdown .... funds the club to the tune of £10-£12m per annum.
So not the full £30m you're suggesting Radz should provide ??

Like I said, he plays the long game and I'd prefer us to do the same.
I think any owner of a championship club should be prepared to support the club to the maximum of £39m over 3 seasons, circa £13m per season. That would put us on a broadly similar footing to say Huddersfield this season given our revenue ex TV is circa £45m and theirs is £10m. It is only the same level of support Derby, Boro, Bristol City, Huddersfield etc have enjoyed each year. Clearly Leicster, Wolves and Villa took it to a different level.

Actually Radz isn’t playing the long game, investing in the knowledge he will get his money back once promoted... he’s just hoping beyond hope we go up with minimal investment on his part.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

DominanceUK wrote:
rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote: ... not putting our money where our mouth is most visible with James ...

Please, not again!!

I understand your point isr. I was actually one of those that said we didn't need to recruit in January and that I believed we had enough quality within the squad to get promotion. I was wrong, although if we had bought James I still don't think we would've got promotion. We created chances galore match in, match out but we couldn't convert those chances and ultimately that was where the problem was. I guess we'll never know :(
The point is not about the individual player, the point he is the one outfield player Bielsa identified and wanted, he’d lost 3 players from his original starting squad, we should have moved heaven and earth to get him. If something of that magnitude happens again this summer I can honestly see Bielsa walking.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

isrodger wrote:Actually Radz isn’t playing the long game, investing in the knowledge he will get his money back once promoted... he’s just hoping beyond hope we go up with minimal investment on his part.
He is, just not the way you want him to.
The way you wanted was to sign James and splurge to the max, but that would be the short game, wouldn't it ??
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

isrodger wrote:The point is not about the individual player
:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote:Actually Radz isn’t playing the long game, investing in the knowledge he will get his money back once promoted... he’s just hoping beyond hope we go up with minimal investment on his part.
He is, just not the way you want him to.
The way you wanted was to sign James and splurge to the max, but that would be the short game, wouldn't it ??
It isn’t splurging to the Max is it ... we made £1m in 1017, lost £4m last season we had headroom of £35m to stay within FFP, which I’ve never suggest we allocate to one season,

The point is he hasn’t invested a penny of his own money as yet, in the club. He has acquired the club and has acquired a real estate asset in his own name which has a market value of circa £60 for circa £20m. Time will tell if that acquisition Is a degree of treachery Bates would be proud of.
DominanceUK

Post by DominanceUK »

isrodger wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:
rigger wrote:

Please, not again!!

The point is not about the individual player, the point he is the one outfield player Bielsa identified and wanted, he’d lost 3 players from his original starting squad, we should have moved heaven and earth to get him. If something of that magnitude happens again this summer I can honestly see Bielsa walking.
Is he one that MB identified? I'm not sure on that one, pal. I could be completely wrong but I can't recall MB stating that James was the one he wanted. I agree that MB will go if we don't achieve promotion next season. Plenty of time left within the transfer window although I would like to see some activity before the players come back for pre-season.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

DominanceUK wrote:
isrodger wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:
rigger wrote:

Please, not again!!

Is he one that MB identified? I'm not sure on that one, pal. I could be completely wrong but I can't recall MB stating that James was the one he wanted. I agree that MB will go if we don't achieve promotion next season. Plenty of time left within the transfer window although I would like to see some activity before the players come back for pre-season.
From what we gather Orta identities all potential recruits, and in the category of say centre forwards 3 or 4 are put forward. A number of options of no 10s and wingers were put forward in January (the only 2 areas he wanted to strengthen) ... Bielsa reject all options bar 1 .. James who they had been tracking since September.
Last edited by isrodger on 14 Jun 2019, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.