Radz bashing

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Radz bashing

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Imagine you bought a house on the cheap.
It's cheap because the previous owner knows it'll cost to do up properly and while he's patched things up to make it look superficially more saleable, after the survey you find out he's shut off the water to prevent further damage, fixed the roof with some crude joist-work and slapped a lick of paint on the tired building to give it an immediate face-lift.
But you still buy it.
It's in a run-down but once elegant area and there are other houses on the same avenue that have been done up and look wonderful. Similarly, there are some in a lot worse condition, indeed a few have been condemned.
You know it'll be worth it in the end but you have a fairly fixed income and a concrete budget in mind so you also know you'll need to take it steady and work on various aspects of the refurbishment one step at a time.
There's a chance you'll get help further down the line if your friend and family chip in with the workload or loan you some money, but if not you'll soldier on knowing that you'll get there in the end ...

A lot of people on here have got short memories.

AR has been in charge less than two years and turned this club around completely.
It's an ongoing "project" (hate that word being used in football) and miracles don't happen overnight.
Remember Pep took a couple of seasons to get going at City.
Abramovich didn't get real success till he appointed Jose at Chelsea.
PSG are another obvious example of a club splurging and still not convincing in Europe - we'd probably be top half in Ligue Un ourselves.

A lot of pundits, fans and football "experts" talk about patience, citing Burnley's Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and SAF back in the day at Man U.
Why don't we share that same outlook ??
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Radz bashing

Post by Davycc »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: Top post Sir.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

On one hand fans moan about how often managers are changed and not given a chance, and on the other moan because we haven't made big signings and had instant success.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

rigger wrote:Imagine you bought a house on the cheap.
It's cheap because the previous owner knows it'll cost to do up properly and while he's patched things up to make it look superficially more saleable, after the survey you find out he's shut off the water to prevent further damage, fixed the roof with some crude joist-work and slapped a lick of paint on the tired building to give it an immediate face-lift.
But you still buy it.
It's in a run-down but once elegant area and there are other houses on the same avenue that have been done up and look wonderful. Similarly, there are some in a lot worse condition, indeed a few have been condemned.
You know it'll be worth it in the end but you have a fairly fixed income and a concrete budget in mind so you also know you'll need to take it steady and work on various aspects of the refurbishment one step at a time.
There's a chance you'll get help further down the line if your friend and family chip in with the workload or loan you some money, but if not you'll soldier on knowing that you'll get there in the end ...

A lot of people on here have got short memories.

AR has been in charge less than two years and turned this club around completely.
It's an ongoing "project" (hate that word being used in football) and miracles don't happen overnight.
Remember Pep took a couple of seasons to get going at City.
Abramovich didn't get real success till he appointed Jose at Chelsea.
PSG are another obvious example of a club splurging and still not convincing in Europe - we'd probably be top half in Ligue Un ourselves.

A lot of pundits, fans and football "experts" talk about patience, citing Burnley's Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and SAF back in the day at Man U.
Why don't we share that same outlook ??
Love it :thumbup:

The outlook boils down to the size of the club, the history and being out of the Premiership for so long I guess. It's more about not having the patience i guess for a lot of fans, in some ways I do feel sorry for our fans in that regard, a lot of Leeds fans can't take it that we sunk so low over the past fifteen years and how hard we have found it to get back up again.

What i loved about your analogy is that we basically had to learn how to crawl before we could walk and then after that we had to learn how to run. Baby steps were and have been needed for a long time and Radz is doing that from my point of view. Yes the investment thing is something we all want to see more of but Radz is not a messiah, He has left that part for Bielsa to become.
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

It's absolutely right that some people have very short memories.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and for forums like this alternative views are pure oxygen. Providing we don't get a bunch of WUMs I don't have a problem.

There was a view a short while ago which essentially stated that Andrea Radrizzani should either stump up millions to spend on new players or pack his bags and go. There was no recognition of how much progress has come about both on and off the pitch. We came bloody close to the Promised Land last season for Goodness sake!

We have a steady ship and we are progressing in the right direction. The time for change is when things are going in the other direction. If anyone needs a reminder of being on the slippery slope take a close look at our seasons from 2000 to the point where AR took a punt and bought out the Mad Italia. See how bit by bit we incrementally went down and down. Also look at the owners in that time. There is a big risk that the devil you don't know will come one of those type of burgers.

Not for me thanks. Happy where things are and looking forward to the new season :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
Nic

Post by Nic »

CorkWhite wrote: The outlook boils down to the size of the club, the history and being out of the Premiership for so long I guess. It's more about not having the patience i guess for a lot of fans, in some ways I do feel sorry for our fans in that regard, a lot of Leeds fans can't take it that we sunk so low over the past fifteen years and how hard we have found it to get back up again.

What i loved about your analogy is that we basically had to learn how to crawl before we could walk and then after that we had to learn how to run. Baby steps were and have been needed for a long time and Radz is doing that from my point of view. Yes the investment thing is something we all want to see more of but Radz is not a messiah, He has left that part for Bielsa to become.
Maybe the analogy is we've learnt to crawl and just started to walk baby steps and people want a rich uncle to provide us with a ferrari
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

The issue is he hasn’t got the means to do the full renovation. He’s doing it on the cheap, and as yet we are still to witness a real turnaround, and us as fans are still waiting, for someone to fund the club to a position our potential merits.

On the positive side he has appointed a fantastic manager after 2 attempts at recruiting for the job on the cheap. We all hope this season under bielsa will bare fruit. However the way some talk - I could do a preseason under bielsa and turn into a top class centre forward! He needs supporting, hitherto he hasn’t been fully supported in the transfer market.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of youth recruitment- the Orta strategy at under 21 level has yet to bare fruit and may prove a master stroke. The recruitment at 1st team level has however largely been disappointing / poor. I certainly would prefer to have kept those he's sold rather than those he’s recruited.

He has significantly increased the cost base of the club, despite the first eleven largely consisting on academy players or those recruited by his predecessor. He has although provided a period of off the field stability and commercial growth, following on from the success Cellino had.

He’s clearly not prepared or unable to support the club financially, hence the sale of assets possibly below value.

He’s done nothing materially in terms of the infrastructure at the club. The academy is as it always was in fine fettle. However the acquisition of the new training facilities hasn’t materialised - despite the landlord at TA being minded to incentivise us to leave! Again I will give him the benefit of the doubt as I believe there has been a genuine logistical reason a move which was being orchestrated by Cellino has not happened as planned.

In terms of the ground the acquisition of it may or may not be a great move for us as fans. For the past 20 or so years the club has had the option to purchase the ground for £20m now it hasn’t got that option. Radz or rather a Singapore based offshore trust owns the ground. We will have 3 years rent free; then what ? When ultimately exits, he will probably want market value for that asset £50m plus. He could probably do a sale and leaseback tomorrow which would see him get a full return on his investment in the club and ground. A great owner in this division like lansdown, Gibson, or Morris would have probably funded the development of the west stand? That would show real long term commitment, regardless, as I said I don’t think he’s got the cash to commit to such a capital project. He could even get the fan base to get involved in funding infrastructure projects, if he was really committed to the club as a true fan and custodian that might be something he’d consider?

In the end we will see. I even gave Bates 2/3 years before I came to the conclusion he was just a parasite sucking funds from the club. Ultimately when he exits in 12 months or 3 years at that point we will be able to judge wether he’s left Lufc in a better or worse state than his predecessor.

He came in with a 3 year plan, the jury is out I’m certainly not bashing him but this is his year to deliver!
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

The issue for me is when people praise Radz for sorting the finances out, when it's the opposite. In 16/17, we had 60% of turnover on wages and made a £1m profit. In two years the wage bill has risen to near 100% of turnover and made a loss of £15m. We have also spent £40m on recruitment, yet the players from 16/17 were the key players in this team. Yet whenever I mention this, I'm shot down.

Yes he done some good, Bielsa, signing u23s, but far more bad than good imo. Raising the wage bill, bad recruitment, Heckingbottom, Myanmar, new badge, failing to get promotion when we were top in January. The stadium isn't owned by the club as he originally claimed either.

He gets away with a lot due to not being Bates, Cellino or GFH imo, but he needs to do far more than that to earn praise.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

SG90 wrote: but far more bad than good imo. Raising the wage bill, bad recruitment, Heckingbottom, Myanmar, new badge, failing to get promotion when we were top in January. The stadium isn't owned by the club as he originally claimed either.

He gets away with a lot due to not being Bates, Cellino or GFH imo, but he needs to do far more than that to earn praise.
Raising the wage bill, perhaps we should reduce it, put a cap of salaries and then see how we do at getting players in. Heckingbottom wasn't good I'll give you that, but hey the boys across the Pennines even make duff managerial appointments too. Myanmar is a personal view, some had no issue with it (I for the record agree it wasn't a good idea) but I'll not rip into him for it. The badge was something that I think we all looked forward to until the unveiling so the idea was sound AND he listened to the masses and pulled it. I don't know who owns Elland Road, you hear so much but I'm sure the clubs better of with whoever owns it now than a few years ago.

I don't honestly think he gets away with anything, he's scrutinised by the supporters every day. I for one am quite happy with his stewardship, we could have another Ridsdale to throw money around.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

SG90 wrote:The issue for me is when people praise Radz for sorting the finances out, when it's the opposite. In 16/17, we had 60% of turnover on wages and made a £1m profit. In two years the wage bill has risen to near 100% of turnover and made a loss of £15m. We have also spent £40m on recruitment, yet the players from 16/17 were the key players in this team. Yet whenever I mention this, I'm shot down.

Yes he done some good, Bielsa, signing u23s, but far more bad than good imo. Raising the wage bill, bad recruitment, Heckingbottom, Myanmar, new badge, failing to get promotion when we were top in January. The stadium isn't owned by the club as he originally claimed either.

The issue is balancing the books and still progressing and growing. If we had the likes of Bates, Cellino and GFH we would be in deep doo do and scratching around for free transfers, loans and players that should never be seen in a LUFC shirt?

We are not out of the financial mire and care is needed. Rather Radz than the previous incumbents I say. I don't want him to take us where Ridsdale did thanks
Keep The Faith / WAL