What you reading

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: What you reading

Post by Sniffer »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
kk_white wrote:Cured, Lol Tolhurst autobiography.
Ex drummer/keyboardist with The Cure, detailing his rise with the band, fall through substance abuse and subsequent redemption.
Loved the Cure in those days 8-)

Always got a number of books on the go, not always for leisure unfortunately.

What I'm reading by choice is a Marvel Comics History book - I love these things, big coffee-table type publications, full colour. A couple of Yorkshire Ripper books, I have a whole pile of Michael Connelly books to get through ('Bosch' is a great character) and just arrived, The Deaths and Afterlife of Aleister Crowley by Ian Thornton, good bloke and LU fan :D
Wow! Didn't know Crowley was into football. ;)

I've got far too many books on the go. The other half likes looking for charity shop bargains so I end up rooted by the books. And they're what I get for birthdays and Christmas.
So far I'm half-way through:
Redemption Song: The Definitive Biography Of Joe Strummer by Chris Salewicz - I feel Mellor would approve. I hope he's well, his input on here is missed.
Isle of Noise (Interviews with British songwriters) by Daniel Rachel - a dip-in book that's been on the go since Christmas.
Even Dogs In The Wild by Ian Rankin - I've got 2 more Rankin books lined up and that should see me to the end of John Rebus which probably explains my reticence to rush through them.
The Stories of English by David Crystal - a study of the development of the English language
Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson - a book I've been meaning to read for ages.

And there are more. Not so much half way through, more a chapter or so in that I've had to put down to due to the onerous business of work and then been sidetracked by another book. I need a few weeks off to knuckle down and read them all.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson - a book I've been meaning to read for ages.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:
Bill Bryson does some comparisons between the US and the UK and thinks we should learn that "ice is not a luxury item" - made me laugh
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Recently read The truth about the Harry Quebert affair by Joel Dicker, which is in my top 2 of books read, his follow up The Baltimore Boys is also excellent. Currently reading Bare faced lies and boogie -Woogie boasts, Jools Holland’s autobiography, also very good and bringing back memories of the tube and squeeze.
Next on the list is The labyrinth of the spirits by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. He of Shadow of the wind fame.
I can also recommend both grumpy old rock star books by the legend that is Rick Wakeman. Saw him performing an evening of piano recitals and general old man banter at Sevenoaks School a couple of weeks back. One of the best evenings out I’ve had in many a year.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

3 on the go at the moment
Paul Mersons autobiography - How not to be a professional footballer
Gervase Phinn -Up & Down in the Dales

& a brilliant book IMO - At Home by Bill Bryson (reading it for the second time) full of amazing facts & references
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Well one things for certain we’ve all got very diverse tastes in reading.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

mapperleywhite wrote:
rigger wrote:
Bill Bryson does some comparisons between the US and the UK and thinks we should learn that "ice is not a luxury item" - made me laugh
Have read all his books, love his humour. Took two on holiday that were more factual and didn't enjoy them at all, "Shakespeare" and "Seeing Further" Would recommend all the rest especially " A walk in the woods"
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
SelmaBamaMan
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

I’m re-reading “Inverting the Pyramid – The History of Soccer Tactics.” It gives the history of tactics and the history of coaches who changed the game. MB is discussed several times in it. Also reading a volume of poems by Charles Bukowski entitled, “Love Is A Dog From Hell.” The title indicates its not sappy poetry.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I picked up the Guns of Navarone in the local charity shop for 15p and am really enjoying it. I know I’ve read it before but it was years ago.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, its my third time reading this book. I have read all of the Tom Clancy novels at least twice.

Also reading James Herbert Trilogy, The rats