The Cricket Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My mates wife on tv earlier with the Yorkshire flag at Old Trafford don’t think Bumble was too impressed :lol:
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

To quote Brenda from Bristol. Your Joking...Not Another One, No brenda make it a Double Hundred from the immovable Steve Smith.

I found myself in a strange situation where i was actually willing SS on to get his double hundred?

Its another long and winding road for Joe and his boys. Who will be the hero this time? It won't be Denly he's already gone with the wind.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Since returning from his ban, Smith's batting has been outstanding and i think its got a lot to do with him NOT been captain of the side, he is free to concentrate on what he is good at and not get into all that politics which was in part his undoing during the sandpaper gate scandal. He is by far the best player on either side of this series so far...................now if only some England batsmen could take note of how to build and make an innings so that this test is not going the way of the first test where the Aussies won easily.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Photo on the front page of the Telegraph Sport today, shows Roy getting bowled, middle stump, by Hazelwood. Ironically, the advert on the stumps is Specsavers.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Be fair, Burns and Root faced 4 balls in their twin ducks. That must have taken some shine off the ball, particularly as Root's dismissal involved the ball striking the wicket. Has it started raining yet?
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

England hanging on by a thread here.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

All over :thumbdown:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:All over :thumbdown:

The result makes it look like a mauling but it was edge of your seat stuff and a fascinating watch. I think you've got to give credit to an excellent Australian side, their batting isn't up to much but with the best Test batsman in a generation or so in there it makes it a daunting challenge and their bowling attack is fantastic and will give any side in any era problems..

As for us, the writing has been on the wall for a while in all honesty and with the loss of Jimmy Anderson we were always going to be up against it. That said, as we've all mentioned, it just hasn't been good enough. We've been one Ben Stokes masterclass away from a battering.

I don't think we see the changes for the Oval in all honesty considering it's only 3 days away but we've got 3 tours coming up in NZ, SA and Sri Lanka and there just has to be some serious thought of how we want to go forward for the future.

My gut reaction is Root will want to stay as captain, he won't want to leave it like that and i'd be amazed if the ECB pull the trigger on him so then it's a case of seeing if he's got enough in him to make the changes that we need.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Geoff Boycott in the Telegraph today says that Root is just not captain material. Made a number of wrong decisions at the wrong times. It also affects his batting too, which has deteriorated considerably.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Admittedly only watched the highlights but we have been no match for Steve Smith and the entire Aussie Bowling attack. Without Smith they are also poor with the bat but their bowling attack is perfect for English conditions imo. Without Stokes heroics we have been well beaten, and for the Aussies without SS it would have been alot closer. The Aussies can now play without pressure although they will obviously want to win the Ashes outright. The England side should be playing for their places.