Jordan Stevens

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Jordan Stevens

Post by johnh »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:For you old school types who still watch television on televisions :P ,
That would be me :D
I watched the England game last night. First time the TV has been on in ages, had to brush the cobwebs off the remote! (And I get the license for free - at the moment) :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
johnh wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:
johnh wrote:I agree 99% with both above posts. But I cannot accept the 'only' being 19 is any excuse whatsoever. When I think back to when I was 19, I knew exactly what my responsibilities were. If he had been 16 or 17 then it might have been a mitigating factor. I think he got exactly what he deserved. Its now up to him to apply some discipline to his life and he's the only one who can do it.
If you think about when you were in your teens can you remember what your cash flow was like? I probably will sound like an old #### but the life of a young footballer and their income levels are extraordinary. All the same not everyone is sensible and level headed.

Best thing for young Stevens is that he learns and moves on. Perhaps it will focus the minds of others like him. For today anyway!
Just a couple of points. When I was 19 you are right, I had the square root of sod all. Surely that makes the temptation to gamble stronger? My other point is, if his income levels are extraordinary, why the hell does he need to gamble?
Why do they do it? For 2 reasons IMHO - first that there is nothing going on between the ears - something that has existed in some more than others since time immemorial - and second because they have money to do anything (almost) they damn well please :crazy:

No doubt there will be another one along in no time...........
Why does anyone make a foolish mistake? We all, well most of us undoubtedly, make stupid decisions, especially around that age. I just pray that the high & mighty EFL's sponsorship deals by gambling companies, Skybet especially, don't suffer :lol:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Off thread this. Apologies if people find it boring - but it gives me something to do! :D

The age 19 reminded me. I had been 19 for a couple of months (1955). Was on a train going from Singapore to north Malaya, a journey of 24 hours. I had just been promoted to full corporal and was proudly wearing my two stripes. Got settled down on the train when an officer stopped next to me and said 'corporal, you'll have to do. I can't find a sergeant (code for can't be bothered to look). He handed me a wad of papers and said 'sort out the guard'. There were about 10 carriages on the train and the trains were like those in cowboy films, with an open platform between carriages. I read the notes and found I had to put two armed guards on each platform and change them every two hours from 8pm to 8am. I quickly calculated that 10 carriages = 20 men and six shifts = 120 men. Most of the carriages were packed with British infantry regiments plus Gurkhas and other Commonwealth troops. Fijian's, Northern Rhodesia rifles, Kings African rifles etc., Fortunately, the troops were very cooperative and I was able to get all the names I needed. I didn't get much sleep as I had to oversee the change of the guards every two hours. There was a heavily armoured coach ran ahead of the train to set off any explosives on the line. I noticed that some of the instructions I was given covered my responsibilities if the train was attacked. (Johore Bahru state, which was the first Malaya state we went through, was a particularly 'hot' area for terrorist activity). I decided to ignore those instructions as they covered several pages. That could have been 'my stupid decision'! All worked out OK in the end. Nineteen eh. :lol:
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Personally i think the lad has shown great discipline in only losing £500. If it had been £50,000 i'm sure the powers that be would have been wheeling him off to the Priory in a taxi payed for by 32Red or is it Black....
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I just think this is all very hypocritical by the EFL. I say that because as mentioned by others, the league is sponsored by a betting company, most of the clubs are sponsored by betting companies, some stadiums are named after betting companies. Add to that, when watching football it is betting advert after betting advert. it's an absolute liberty that they then turn around and deal out a punishment like this over a small amount when it is them essentially shoving it in everyone's face all the time to make money.

I seriously think they need to take a look at themselves and address the issue of over advertising.

In response to Johnh I think it was asking why he would bet or suggesting a couple of reasons. I have been there myself with gambling and it is not good, it is nothing to do with wanting to make money (not one you're into it anyway) and it is nothing to do with having nothing between the ears as somebody else said (I for one have a 1st class degree in Maths and Physics yet still got hooked on gambling, I wouldn't say I am 'thick', and I am not bragging there just making a point). It is a thrill, think of it this way, he is sat around most of the time with nothing to do, moved to a new club and has no friend or family around him as such. Sat on his own on an evening or weekend, puts the soccer special on and just decided to make it more interesting and it goes from there, in my case it was chasing losses in the end, thankfully for him it didn't get to that point.

I suppose the thing making it worse from his side is that he is in a position where he has been specifically told you cannot bet on football. So that is a bit stupid, are they allowed to bet on horse racing or rugby etc? If so why didn't he just do that? Again it probably goes back to the point of making the show more interesting on a Saturday whilst seeing a betting advert every ten seconds.1
IrelandLeeds
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by IrelandLeeds »

johnh wrote:Off thread this. Apologies if people find it boring - but it gives me something to do! :D

The age 19 reminded me. I had been 19 for a couple of months (1955). Was on a train going from Singapore to north Malaya, a journey of 24 hours. I had just been promoted to full corporal and was proudly wearing my two stripes. Got settled down on the train when an officer stopped next to me and said 'corporal, you'll have to do. I can't find a sergeant (code for can't be bothered to look). He handed me a wad of papers and said 'sort out the guard'. There were about 10 carriages on the train and the trains were like those in cowboy films, with an open platform between carriages. I read the notes and found I had to put two armed guards on each platform and change them every two hours from 8pm to 8am. I quickly calculated that 10 carriages = 20 men and six shifts = 120 men. Most of the carriages were packed with British infantry regiments plus Gurkhas and other Commonwealth troops. Fijian's, Northern Rhodesia rifles, Kings African rifles etc., Fortunately, the troops were very cooperative and I was able to get all the names I needed. I didn't get much sleep as I had to oversee the change of the guards every two hours. There was a heavily armoured coach ran ahead of the train to set off any explosives on the line. I noticed that some of the instructions I was given covered my responsibilities if the train was attacked. (Johore Bahru state, which was the first Malaya state we went through, was a particularly 'hot' area for terrorist activity). I decided to ignore those instructions as they covered several pages. That could have been 'my stupid decision'! All worked out OK in the end. Nineteen eh. :lol:
Very interesting piece. Big task for 19 year old travelling through hostile territory, and well done. Did you rise any further in army ranks, and how long were you in the forces?
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

IrelandLeeds wrote:
johnh wrote:Off thread this. Apologies if people find it boring - but it gives me something to do! :D

Very interesting piece. Big task for 19 year old travelling through hostile territory, and well done. Did you rise any further in army ranks, and how long were you in the forces?

I was invited to join by the Government of the day (National Service). :shock: :lol: I did make 'acting' sergeant, but only for a very short time prior to demob.
(I think it was a ruse to try and get me to sign on as a Regular. They said that if I signed on, the rank would be made 'substantive' (permanent).
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

HalifaxWhite wrote:I just think this is all very hypocritical by the EFL.
Nothing to do with the Football league it was the FA that brought the charge and issued the punishment.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:
Nothing to do with the Football league it was the FA that brought the charge and issued the punishment.
I'll help Halifaxwhite out here then - he thinks, like many football fans, that it's all very hypocritical by the FA :angel:
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:
I'll help Halifaxwhite out here then - he thinks, like many football fans, that it's all very hypocritical by the FA :angel:
To be honest ANS it doesnt matter if its the FA or the FL we get the same out come from both bodies.